Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A320ajm
Topic Author

Wheel Well Fire Extinguishers

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:08 pm

Hi all,

Being a bit of an aircraft geek, a colleague and friend asked me whether I had seen the following incident:

http://avherald.com/h?article=48a77cf2&opt=0

He had never heard of this, so I was talking about how hot wheels can get etc. He then asked: "Do aircraft have "Wheel Well Fire Extinguishers like on the engines? " This totally stumped me. Does this exist on any aircraft? If so, why not?

Thanks in advance for all your help!
A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

7BOEING7

RE: Wheel Well Fire Extinguishers

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:28 pm

As far as Boeing airplanes are concerned they all have main gear (not nose gear) fire detection systems but no fire extinguishing system. The second step on the FIRE WHEEL WELL checklist is to put the landing gear down, which is expected to put the fire out.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:30 pm

I've never seen a wheel well fire extinguisher as onboard equipment. As I recall, the procedure for a wheel well fire is to slow the aircraft, deploy the landing gear and land ASAP.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

A320ajm
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:02 pm

Quoting 7BOEING7 (Reply 1):
As far as Boeing airplanes are concerned they all have main gear (not nose gear) fire detection systems but no fire extinguishing system. The second step on the FIRE WHEEL WELL checklist is to put the landing gear down, which is expected to put the fire out.
Quoting fr8mech (Reply 2):

I've never seen a wheel well fire extinguisher as onboard equipment. As I recall, the procedure for a wheel well fire is to slow the aircraft, deploy the landing gear and land ASAP.

Thanks for your answers. Seems a bit strange to me there is no extinguisher system. However, I guess if you're high enough the lack of oxygen will help in assisting the fire to extinguish.

A320ajm
If the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, 'This was their finest hour.'

Stitch

Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:56 pm

Quoting a320ajm (Reply 3):
Seems a bit strange to me there is no extinguisher system.

I am guessing worries about extinguisher contaminating the brakes or the hydraulic systems.

fr8mech

Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:12 pm

Quoting Stitch (Reply 4):
I am guessing worries about extinguisher contaminating the brakes or the hydraulic systems.

Not at all.

A wheel well fire indication is typically an overheated brake that has begun to burn or has caused material in the wheel well to burn. When the temperature of the brake/wheel assembly mass reaches a preset temperature, the wheel's fusible plug vents. This vents nitrogen into the space, hopefully smothering the fire.

But, as stated, the primary fire fighting/cooling method is to deploy the gear, which should blow out the fire.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray

JohnM

Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:13 am

Not a civil airplane, but the C-5 does. A C-5 was lost early in the program due to a wheel well fire which I think was before the fire suppression system (FSS) was installed. There are wheel well fire loops (in many other areas as well), and a liquid nitrogen system that will discharge into the wheel well. The end result is oxygen is displaced, no fire. A discharge of nitrogen in the wheel well would not be fun while doing maintenance however... FSS is a good when on fire of course, but is a total pain to fix and makes other tasks more time consuming and involved.

KELPkid

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 am

Quoting a320ajm (Thread starter):
Does this exist on any aircraft? If so, why not?

The point of diminishing returns...unlike the C-5 Galaxy, exceedingly few civil aircraft have been lost to wheel well fires. One of the design goals of an aircraft is to be as light as possible, so that the thing flies and makes money for its operator. The more unnecessary systems you add to a plane, the heaver it becomes...   
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

7BOEING7

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:11 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 7):
The point of diminishing returns...unlike the C-5 Galaxy, exceedingly few civil aircraft have been lost to wheel well fires.

Mexicana 940 (727) was lost but that was due to maintenance servicing a tire with compressed air instead of nitrogen causing the tire to explode and sever fuel/hydraulic lines leading to an uncontrollable fire. I'm not sure a fire suppression system would have been any use in this case.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19860331-1&lang=en

Similarly a Swissair Caravelle took off with overheated brakes (due to excessive use during extended taxi) which caused an inflight fire shortly after takeoff (we have procedures in place and brake overheat warning systems now) and a Nation Air DC-8 took off with underinflated tires (cockpit tire pressure indications are now available on most new airplanes these days) and crashed shortly after takeoff (if the takeoff had bee aborted or the gear left extended after takeoff the crash wouldn't have occurred).

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19630904-0 Swissair

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19910711-0 Nation Air

Max Q

Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:19 am

Not really what you're asking but the B727 APU is mounted transversely across the keel beam and occupies
part of the left and right wheel wells.

It has a fire extinguisher of course.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

fr8mech

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:05 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 9):
It has a fire extinguisher of course.

As I recall, that fire extinguisher dumps into the cowling, not the wheel well area.

PGNCS

Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:09 pm

Quoting 7BOEING7 (Reply 1):
As far as Boeing airplanes are concerned they all have main gear (not nose gear) fire detection systems but no fire extinguishing system.

I'm not trying to nitpick, but I just can't recall...did the 727's with nosewheel brakes have fire detection in the NLG well? For some reason I thought I remembered that, but it has been a LONG time.

fr8mech

Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:45 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 11):
I'm not trying to nitpick, but I just can't recall...did the 727's with nosewheel brakes have fire detection in the NLG well? For some reason I thought I remembered that, but it has been a LONG time.

It's been about 30 years since I've seen one of those, but I would think that it would be required. How else would the flight crew know they had overheated brakes?

DL_Mech

Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:06 am

did the 727's with nosewheel brakes have fire detection in the NLG well?

I found a 1981 727 training manual that shows one fire loop in the nose wheel well and four in the main gear wells.

It shows the nose loop as a 255 degree F loop and the mains as 400 degree F all wired in series.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

PGNCS

Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:12 am

Quoting DL_Mech (Reply 13):
Quoting PGNCS (Reply 11):did the 727's with nosewheel brakes have fire detection in the NLG well?

I found a 1981 727 training manual that shows one fire loop in the nose wheel well and four in the main gear wells.

It shows the nose loop as a 255 degree F loop and the mains as 400 degree F all wired in series.

Thanks! I didn't think I was making that up out of thin air but, man, it's been a long time! I appreciate the info from you and fr8mech!

DL_Mech

Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:08 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 14):
I didn't think I was making that up out of thin air but, man, it's been a long time!

Tell me about it, I can't believe the 727s (and L-1011s) have been gone for almost 15 years.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

26point2

Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:13 am

Quoting a320ajm (Thread starter):

Jet engines (fire is good) do not have fire extinguishers...modern jet engines at least. Gear box and acessories do have them however.

mmo

Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:27 am

Quoting 26point2 (Reply 16):
Jet engines (fire is good) do not have fire extinguishers...modern jet engines at least. Gear box and acessories do have them however.

Care to share an example, as I know of no engine that has the system you are describing. Certainly there is no fire protection for gear boxes.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

fr8mech

Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:52 am

Quoting mmo (Reply 17):
Care to share an example, as I know of no engine that has the system you are describing. Certainly there is no fire protection for gear boxes.

I suspect he means: under the cowling.

The fire detection system covers all the areas under the cowling. Same with the fire protection/extinguishing system, all areas under the cowling are covered. The internal engine is not covered/protected.

The only example I can recall where the internal engine is monitored for fire was on the JT9. The #3 Bearing...the hottest area in the lubrication system...breather went through a fusible tube, overboard. If the temperature of the breather air exceeded the melt point of the tube, it would melt and vent that hot breather air under the cowl. The fire loop would pick up the elevated temperature. The flight crew goes through the process, that eventually leads to the flight crew shutting down the engine and, hopefully, extinguishing the fire.

HAWK21M

Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 am

Detectors yes through fire loops to provide flight deck/cockpit indications....normally the extension of the LG is called for during such occurrences.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

mmo

Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:59 pm

Quoting fr8mech (Reply 18):
I suspect he means: under the cowling.

The fire detection system covers all the areas under the cowling. Same with the fire protection/extinguishing system, all areas under the cowling are covered. The internal engine is not covered/protected.

Well, the poster is a native English speaker, so I can only go by what he wrote. And I learned a loooong time ago, not to assume anything about what is written.

It did get my attention, because several years ago, I had an engine fire, non-extinguishable, that required an immediate return after takeoff. The culprit was the accessory drive which had run dry. The casing is constructed out of magnesium and it caught on fire. So, I know for a fact, there is no agent present in that area! That was on a JT9-7Q.

Max Q

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:48 am

Five years on that aircraft in two different seats and I never heard of a nose landing gear wheel fire detector.

GGg

mmo

Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:14 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 21):
Five years on that aircraft in two different seats and I never heard of a nose landing gear wheel fire detector.

When the nose gear brake system was removed, part of the task was to remove the nose gear wheel well overheat loop.

Max Q

Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:09 am

Quoting mmo (Reply 22):
When the nose gear brake system was removed, part of the task was to remove the nose gear wheel well overheat loop.

Ok, makes sense, learned something else about my favourite jet.

GGg

PGNCS

Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:45 am

Quoting Max Q (Reply 21):

OK...I'm trying not to get a big head here, but I can't believe I taught you of all people something about the 727!

ANYTHING is possible!  

Max Q

Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:47 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 24):
OK...I'm trying not to get a big head here, but I can't believe I taught you of all people something about the 727!

ANYTHING is possible!

You did so let me ask you a question, how many pieces of wood are there in the 727 ?!

GGg

PGNCS

Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:54 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 25):
Quoting PGNCS (Reply 24):OK...I'm trying not to get a big head here, but I can't believe I taught you of all people something about the 727!

ANYTHING is possible!
You did so let me ask you a question, how many pieces of wood are there in the 727 ?!

I believe the answer is six if I recall correctly, but I'm open to correction from a 727 guru of your stature!  

tb727

Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:19 pm

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 26):
I believe the answer is six if I recall correctly, but I'm open to correction from a 727 guru of your stature!

Also what's the only letter of the alphabet not on any of the panels?
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

PGNCS

Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:48 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 27):
Quoting PGNCS (Reply 26):I believe the answer is six if I recall correctly, but I'm open to correction from a 727 guru of your stature!
Also what's the only letter of the alphabet not on any of the panels?

Well first off I am NOT the 727 expert...is 6 the right answer for the wood question?

As for letters on the panels, I have no idea, so I will just take the seemingly obvious route and say Z, though I'm doubting it would be that easy...(I'm debating if something is labeled HZ vs. CPS, but not quite curious enough to look this up myself!)

tb727

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:31 am

Quoting PGNCS (Reply 28):
Well first off I am NOT the 727 expert...is 6 the right answer for the wood question?

I've always heard 6 too. FE desktop, wood blocks in the fuel dump panel, block of wood on the left side of the FE panel, nosewheel doors which brings me back to the wheel well fire extinguishers. I do remember looking up there and seeing remnants of a loop on a freighter once, possibly even a loop because I remember asking the question about them. I'll dig through my pics to see if I ever took any up in there.

The letter is J...I think, lol. That was more directed at Max Q, I'm losing it!

I've heard from some of the more seasoned FE's that a good way to get a wheel well fire warning was to forget to shutdown the APU for flight, not too long after gear retraction I guess you get it. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to shut down automatically but it may be the quick manner in which it does that will still get a lot of heat in there.

Max Q

Tue Sep 01, 2015 2:11 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 29):
I've always heard 6 too. FE desktop, wood blocks in the fuel dump panel, block of wood on the left side of the FE panel, nosewheel doors

That's one more than I knew of, outstanding !

I've heard from some of the more seasoned FE's that a good way to get a wheel well fire warning was to forget to shutdown the APU for flight, not too long after gear retraction I guess you get it. I'm pretty sure it is supposed to shut down automatically but it may be the quick manner in which it does that will still get a lot of heat in there.

Well, I did that once (reached back and shut it off without anyone noticing) and didn't get a fire warning. It seemed to be running quite happily though and I think it was over 10k before I noticed it so I don't think it would shut down automatically.

Of course you couldn't (theoretically) start it once airborne but it would keep running if you forgot.

Just as an aside I had a very occurrence on a B727 in cruise while I was an FE.
I noticed a flicker of movement to my right and to my amazement saw the APU starting up by itself, I pointed it out to the Captain and shut it down using the fire handle.

Maintenance couldn't explain it but I had a few odd happenings on that aircraft, of course our maintenance was abysmal in those days.

GGg

tb727

Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:31 pm

Quoting Max Q (Reply 30):
Well, I did that once (reached back and shut it off without anyone noticing) and didn't get a fire warning. It seemed to be running quite happily though and I think it was over 10k before I noticed it so I don't think it would shut down automatically.

I'm not surprised, I am pretty sure nothing is really "automatic" on that plane!

PGNCS

Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:14 pm

That was more directed at Max Q, I'm losing it!

Well I'm glad, because I am totally outclassed in 727 general knowledge by you two!

I was thinking of the JATO-equipped 727's of course...yeah, that's it...that's the reason I didn't guess "J"!