Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

readytotaxi
Topic Author

BA Cardiff MX Question

Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:04 pm

When crew ferry an aircraft down to Cardiff for what ever reason, is there always a plane to bring back, or do they return to LHR base by land transport? Just a thought.
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

jumpseat

RE: BA Cardiff MX Question

Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:01 pm

I can't specifically answer this query as I don't work for BA, but if you're enquiring as to whether airlines use land transport for crew for long journeys (i.e. Cardiff to London) I can tell you that my operator regularly positions crews in taxis between on long distances, including when positioning an empty aircraft one way and then coming back to base.

I would imagine that BA do the same.

Hope that helps!

flyDTW1992

Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:05 am

It's not BA, but I worked for one of the larger regional airlines in the US. We'd routinely use limousine services to transport pilots (usually two or three at a time) between IND, STL, CMH, and a few other Midwest locations, given we had things like maintenance bases, simulators or other infrastructure in certain cities that aren't major hubs and thus would require multi-stop deadheads to move pilots to and from.
Now you're flying smart

Jetlagged

Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:57 pm

Cardiff is used for scheduled heavy maintenance, and there is only limited hangar space there so there could well be an aircraft fresh from its D check to fly back to London. In theory the same crew could do that. However an aircraft leaving Cardiff might be scheduled to go back into service straight away. BA wouldn't want it hanging around unnecessarily just for the convenience of saving ground transport costs.So they may position another crew to Cardiff by road to fly that aircraft back.
The glass isn't half empty, or half full, it's twice as big as it needs to be.