celestar
Topic Author

Do Pilots Chat With Each Other

Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:45 pm

I was watching flight ware 24 last night and saw couple of airliners from different airline, flying pretty much the same track (with different altitude) across the pacific ocean. Some of them are from the same airlines company with different flight number and destinations. My question, is how would EVA, JAL and United all ended up at the same route of choice arose the pacific ocean. Or, they are all being directed by ATC to pretty much follow the same routing over that vast airspace. Do airlines of the same companies actually share some casual chat while flying almost close by? I don't think EVA pilots would talk to JAL pilots over some gossip but what about with fellow companies pilots?

Very curious.

apfpilot

RE: Do Pilots Chat With Each Other

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:32 pm

Sure, the frequency 123.45 is specifically reserved for Air to Air communication when outside the range of VHF communication facilities on the ground. You can use it to relay operational information and resolve operational problems. For general BSing there are other VHF frequencies you can use.
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

Whiteguy

Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Quoting celestar (Thread starter):
My question, is how would EVA, JAL and United all ended up at the same route of choice arose the pacific ocean. Or, they are all being directed by ATC to pretty much follow the same routing over that vast airspace.

Most routes flown are standard or preferred IFR routes, minor changes can be made due to weather and winds during the flight planning stage. Once enroute changes can also be made at the request of the pilots or atc for more direct routings.

Going across the Pacific or Atlantic it's a little different story since there's not a lot of radar coverage. Most aircraft stick to their route unless some deviations for weather are required. Talking to atc and getting permission is a lot more difficult and sometimes the pilots do what they need to do and make a call on the emergency frequency to advise other traffic.

LH707330

Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:48 pm

My question, is how would EVA, JAL and United all ended up at the same route of choice arose the pacific ocean. Or, they are all being directed by ATC to pretty much follow the same routing over that vast airspace.

If they're all going in similar directions and they all have the same weather info, then they'd probably tend to reach similar conclusions about the best way to go.

I don't think EVA pilots would talk to JAL pilots over some gossip but what about with fellow companies pilots?

Why not? Many pilots have a close bond despite working for different companies. No reason they can't BS around a bit on a chatter frequency.

apfpilot

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:11 pm

On a side note, I'll often follow best practices and monitor guard on Com 2. I'm amazed at how many pilots have no radio discipline and treat the channel like a party line. (Although the chorus of: "On Guard" when someone inadvertently broadcasts on 121.5 is sometimes funny.)
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

Whiteguy

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:46 pm

Quoting apfpilot (Reply 4):

On a side note, I'll often follow best practices and monitor guard on Com 2. I'm amazed at how many pilots have no radio discipline and treat the channel like a party line. (Although the chorus of: "On Guard" when someone inadvertently broadcasts on 121.5 is sometimes funny.)

The "Guard Police" are pure entertainment when cruising along.....especially when guys are making legitimate calls for specific flights to make a freq change....heard ATC looking for a flight one day and not 2 seconds later a guy came on "on guard", "no kidding" was ATC response....

apfpilot

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:54 pm

Quoting Whiteguy (Reply 5):
The "Guard Police" are pure entertainment when cruising along.....especially when guys are making legitimate calls for specific flights to make a freq change....heard ATC looking for a flight one day and not 2 seconds later a guy came on "on guard", "no kidding" was ATC response....

A little while ago someone burped on guard, when someone replied: "on guard" what I'm assuming was the same pilot replied: "your mom's on guard."

tb727

Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Quoting Whiteguy (Reply 5):

It gets pretty obnoxious though, the other day these guys went on and on. Saying "guuuuuuaaaaarrrrrddddddd" like a pirate or whatever, yeah, that was funny once, 10 years ago.

Then guys can just start being jerks on guard too. Amazing how people treat each other when they aren't face to face, much like the internet!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

rwessel

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:09 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 7):
It gets pretty obnoxious though, the other day these guys went on and on. Saying "guuuuuuaaaaarrrrrddddddd" like a pirate or whatever, yeah, that was funny once, 10 years ago.

Well, International Talk Like a Pirate Day was on the 19th...

tb727

Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:54 pm

Quoting rwessel (Reply 8):
Well, International Talk Like a Pirate Day was on the 19th...

Tis true...still annoying! lol
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Max Q

Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:55 am

Yes we all talk to each other while over the ocean, sometimes you get useful info more often just hot air.

Tell you what's annoying, in UK airspace pilots are allowed to make 'practice pan' calls on guard and it is what it
implies.

A pilot of a light aircraft after receiving permission for this will carry on a long two way conversation on 121.5 with
a controller going into great length the type of problem he has, what action he wants to take, where to divert, etc, etc.

This is ALL simulated as a reminder and is all done on guard completely monopolizing the frequency while this Pilot
runs through his 'pretend' problem on the radio.

Unbelievable really, but most UK based light aircraft pilots are very proud of their ability to do this and vehemently defend
their right to do so.

I think its ridiculous, unnecessarily distracting to the controller and ties up a frequency that should ONLY be used for genuine problems.
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society