Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

B2468
Topic Author

Comfort Of Onboard Crew Rests?

Wed Oct 14, 2015 3:02 am

Hi,

If this topic has been discussed before, I apologize and please delete.

This question is for the flight deck and cabin crews that have used onboard crew rests on long-haul flights. There are plenty of photos of the various types of crew rests on various aircraft, from simple blocked-off rows of seats, to above- and below-deck "rooms" and sometimes separate rest areas for flight deck officers.

My question is: how comfortable are these crew rests?

I've seen photos of the crew rests, and other than the "blocked-off seats", they look quite comfortable and cozy. However, I've never seen one with my own eyes, and I know that photos can be deceiving, especially in aircraft where special lenses are often used to get as much of the whole picture as possible in a confined space, and there is no sound.

Is it possible to get quality rest in these areas? What about noise? As a pax, one thing that annoys the heck out of me is the ventilation system that creates so much white noise. Are these crew rests quiet?

Anyhow, I'm just curious. Thanks for any insights!

-John.
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

nwa757boy

RE: Comfort Of Onboard Crew Rests?

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:16 am

I personally like the 747 crew rest the best for FAs. It's up in the tail, not literally of course, but upstairs at Door 5Right for my airline. The swaying of the tail can rock me to sleep. You dont hear much commotion from the passenger cabin.

The 767-300/400 rest is nice and decent fairly comfortable and my favorite after the 747.

The 777 rest is tied with the 767, upstairs above the cabin you can almost stand up fully in the crew rest bunk. Lots of room as well. all single level bunks, no top or bottom

the 330 bunk is my least favorite. It's dry down there. different sized bunks and tops and bottoms. Lots of commotion from the passenger cabin as it is located at the 3 doors downstairs on most aircraft but will be moving to the 4 doors eventually downstairs. Many pax try to open the bunk door thinking its a lavatory and in general you can hear a lot of talking from the passenger cabin and foot traffic. Also very dry. I woke up once with a nose bleed all over my pillow. Looks like I'd been shot

PanAm747LHR

Wed Oct 14, 2015 4:25 am

Very comfortable! My favorite place on the plane, in fact. Doesn't matter what aircraft, although I agree that the 747 is particularly nice just because of the sheer size of the bunk areas. Anywhere where I can get a rest though is fine by me - and the fact that they are all quiet, and offer a real bed to sleep on for a few hours - heaven!

reltney

Wed Oct 14, 2015 12:09 pm

As a pilot..

Hate the bunk rooms! I was never claustrophobic until I got in one on a 767. No windows either. When I use to fly the 767 and we had a crew bunk plane, I deferred my rest and stayed in the cockpit. No entertainment system in the bunk rooms either. Some of Our 767 fleet has bunk rooms and the rest of the fleet uses a F/C seat. I cannot use the 777 pilot bunks either.

Reason? Mainly I do not sleep much anyway. Rarely more than 5 hours a day. Flying a plane is relaxing and refreshes me better than any bunk room. I live in a flying community and hopping in my cub or T-28 and shooting about 20 landings is the best way to relax and shake off bad days.

When I checked out on the 747, I went to the crew rest area prior to my classes started to see if I could stay in one. I could. I bring an iPad with movies and that seems to do the trick but still a bit tight for me. Good ventilation and bunks with room to stretch out compared to the 767. I saw an earlier version of the 330 bunk when we merged with NW and they seemed fairly nice.

I still grab a first class seat when they are available and the flight attendants let me. I prefer a F/C lie flat seat to any bunk room. I am not the only one either.

Funny thing is I am open to many about how claustrophobic the rooms make me feel and I am finding more and more agree and find alternate ways to rest (pax seat or end up with an iPad full of movies).

Yes I realize some who need 8 hours of sleep prefer bunks cause they need Zs to refresh and adjust to the new day, however, there are others in the world like me . We are all different. Also the new FAR 117 rest rules are much worse and polls taken in our airline find them worse on a 4 to 1 ratio and fly tired. I guess the non flying FAA people were trying to help again!

Cheers, Reltney

Flame away flamers who do not fly planes! Instead they just ride in them and complain...
Knives don't kill people. People with knives kill people.
OUTLAW KNIVES.

I am a pilot, therefore I envy no one...

FLIHGH

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:39 pm

The 777 on Etihad is a coffin. Right behind the cockpit, very cramped. No room to sit or anything.

C767P

Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:39 pm

Quoting reltney (Reply 3):
Also the new FAR 117 rest rules are much worse and polls taken in our airline find them worse on a 4 to 1 ratio and fly tired.

How are the new 117 rest rules worse? I take it you either have never done an 8 hour overnight or it has been so long you completely forget what it is like. Changing min rest from 8 to 10 hours made 117 worth it alone. But I also don’t get the opportunity to spend a chunk of my duty period in a bunk…where I could sleep.

thepinkmachine

Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:31 pm

Quoting FLIHGH (Reply 4):
The 777 on Etihad is a coffin. Right behind the cockpit, very cramped. No room to sit or anything

I concur. Used the 777 crew rest a couple of times when commuting. It looked and felt like sleeping in a closet. Temp control was problematic (it was either too cold or too warm) and it was very dry. Tried the new 787 overhead comptartment too. It looked quite nice but felt quite cramped and dry as well...

Generally, sleeping on a plane sucks, unless you happen to be traveling on a lie-flat Business Class bed with a glass of wine in yor hand  

[Edited 2015-10-14 11:32:51]
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

Zkpilot

Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:57 pm

Quoting nwa757boy (Reply 1):

I personally like the 747 crew rest the best for FAs. It's up in the tail, not literally of course, but upstairs at Door 5Right for my airline. The swaying of the tail can rock me to sleep. You dont hear much commotion from the passenger cabin.

Unless you hit turbulence and then you get thrown around the bunk like a yo-yo (seatbelt or not). Found it to be very noisy up there too (louder than the cabin) of air/engine noise, but yes had many good sleeps up there. Speaking of the 744, the pilot rest at the top of the stairs is quite pleasant too (and quieter).

The best on current gen aircraft has got to the be the A380 below floor crew rest (Located at Doors 3 between the main gear - 12 bunks). Smoothest part of the aircraft, very quiet and relatively spacious (except the bunk under the ladder aka the coffin). Some airlines have fitted IFE etc too.
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.

B2468
Topic Author

Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:03 am

Thanks for your replies! I am not sure I should have posted this in tech/ops, but the folks in CivAv kind of scare me...

A couple of you have mentioned noise, especially in the upper-tail (above 5R) of the 747...

Quoting Zkpilot (Reply 7):
Unless you hit turbulence and then you get thrown around the bunk like a yo-yo (seatbelt or not). Found it to be very noisy up there too (louder than the cabin) of air/engine noise

How much of that noise is due to the ventilation system? As I said before, as a pax, the ventilation system annoys me...on one of my last flights on an SQ 772-ER, about 10 minutes after takeoff, the ventilation system turned off for about 15 seconds, and the cabin was filled with the most soothing hum...very nice and relaxing, but the system came back on, and it was time for earplugs. I've experienced the same on trains...most of the perceived noise comes from the ventilation system.

Some of those crew rests look very quiet in pictures but what is the reality? I suppose I am trying to find if there is any noise sanctuary for humans on airliners!

-John.
CNC/DH4/ERJ/306/310/319/320/332/333/343/346/388/72S/731/732/733/734/73G/738/741/744/74E/752/762/763/77E/77W/D95/D1C/M82

Francoflier

Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:45 am

The best rest area I've tried is the one on the 747 freighter.

You get a decent size cabin with lots of headroom so you don't feel like you're sleeping in a coffin, plus the entire upper deck is your own personal suite, with a kitchen, comfy armchairs, ensuite washroom and a view.
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Viper911

Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:39 pm

As a crew that flies on 744F quite a lot, i must say the crew beds, we have them 2 on the 400, are a blessing and quite comfortable considering im 6'4" (196cm) tall.

Viper911

Matt6461

Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:26 am

I know that some crew rests are air conditioned up to 20% humidity, with the rest partitioned from the cabin.

For anyone who has flown in these, does it make an appreciable difference? I'd imagine so, but don't know...

I wonder if some day we'll see F private cabins that are partitioned and conditioned for higher humidity.

Zkpilot

Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:42 am

Quoting B2468 (Reply 8):
How much of that noise is due to the ventilation system? As I said before, as a pax, the ventilation system annoys me...on one of my last flights on an SQ 772-ER, about 10 minutes after takeoff, the ventilation system turned off for about 15 seconds, and the cabin was filled with the most soothing hum...very nice and relaxing, but the system came back on, and it was time for earplugs. I've experienced the same on trains...most of the perceived noise comes from the ventilation system.

Some of those crew rests look very quiet in pictures but what is the reality? I suppose I am trying to find if there is any noise sanctuary for humans on airliners!

The vents sure are noisey (especially if partially on as the air whistles. However the noise is from the air rushing over the fuselage (and being disrupted by the tailplane) I think there is less noise insulation there and since it is at the very back you get the most amount of jet blast noise.
Still enjoyable but the A380 was much more pleasant for crew rest. Depending on how a crew work their breaks it can be disruptive as crew command go (noticeable that a lot of female crew get up early to touch up their makeup and hair etc).
64 types. 45 countries. 24 airlines.