eaa3
Topic Author

JetBlue Sat. Tv And FlyFi Coverage

Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:15 pm

I'm curious about why the satellite signal that JetBlue (and other airlines) uses for it's TV and FlyFi internet stops working so soon after leaving the continental United States. The TV signal is provided by DirectTV satellites which are in geostationary orbit, meaning that they always sit at the same location over earth i.e. their orbit is 24 hours. Geostationary orbit is at 35,786 km. With such a high orbit I doubt that the plane is not able to get a signal just after leaving US shores. Plus, you can get DirectTV in the Caribbean. It makes me think that the cutoff is artificial.

Does the plane truly lose signal or is there some other reason why there is no coverage?

Mir

RE: JetBlue Sat. Tv And FlyFi Coverage

Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:35 pm

It truly does lose signal. DirecTV's satellites don't cover over-ocean areas, as their service area very closely mirrors the borders of the continental US. So unless the extent of your over-ocean flying is the ARs going from the Northeast to Florida or the Bahamas, you'll be out of range quite quickly.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

eaa3
Topic Author

Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:17 pm

Quoting Mir (Reply 1):
It truly does lose signal. DirecTV's satellites don't cover over-ocean areas, as their service area very closely mirrors the borders of the continental US. So unless the extent of your over-ocean flying is the ARs going from the Northeast to Florida or the Bahamas, you'll be out of range quite quickly.

I realize that they don't cover those areas with satellites siting over the ocean. I'm just surprised that they can be that accurate when they are at over 35km above earth.

shamrock137

Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:26 am

Its also linked to GPS, they only have the license to provide internet within the US. I was on a flight to the west coast that took a brief route through Canada and the internet dropped offline as soon as we crossed the border, and was switched on as soon as we came back in US territory.
Time to spare? Go by air!

rwessel

Sun Oct 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Quoting eaa3 (Reply 2):
I realize that they don't cover those areas with satellites siting over the ocean. I'm just surprised that they can be that accurate when they are at over 35km above earth.

They make a fairly major effort to focus the beam on the useful service area. Any signal going elsewhere is just wasted, and just consumes extra power (and the associated bigger electronics) to support, which just increases cost (alternately you can take the hit in effective power, and equip all the receivers with bigger antennas to compensate – which, obviously, brings its own problems).

Chaostheory

Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:53 am

Quoting eaa3 (Thread starter):
I'm curious about why the satellite signal that JetBlue (and other airlines) uses for it's TV and FlyFi internet stops working so soon after leaving the continental United States. The TV signal is provided by DirectTV satellites which are in geostationary orbit, meaning that they always sit at the same location over earth i.e. their orbit is 24 hours. Geostationary orbit is at 35,786 km. With such a high orbit I doubt that the plane is not able to get a signal just after leaving US shores. Plus, you can get DirectTV in the Caribbean. It makes me think that the cutoff is artificial.

Does the plane truly lose signal or is there some other reason why there is no coverage?

Due to the extensive satellite coverage in the region with DirectTV, SES, Hughes, Eutelsat etc, the cut off you experience is most likely due to the service level agreement between B6 and DirectTV.

Interestingly, B6 is one of a few airlines to operate a hybrid antennae which is able to receive ka band and ku band satcom services through ViaSat.

B6 uses the ka band (directly from ViaSat) for basic stuff like email whilst the ku band is provided as you state by Direct TV.

FlyBTV

Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:02 am

Quoting shamrock137 (Reply 3):
Its also linked to GPS, they only have the license to provide internet within the US. I was on a flight to the west coast that took a brief route through Canada and the internet dropped offline as soon as we crossed the border, and was switched on as soon as we came back in US territory.

Yes, you are correct. It is an artificial cutoff, as ViaSa-t1 definitely provides coverage in Canada. The Canadian focused beams are owned by Telesat (a separate company from ViaSat). I imagine that once you're over the border, they are no longer permitted to provide internet, because that portion of the satellite's capacity is owned by Telesat.

dlednicer
Editor

Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:09 am

Quoting ChaosTheory (Reply 5):
nterestingly, B6 is one of a few airlines to operate a hybrid antennae which is able to receive ka band and ku band satcom services through ViaSat.

The FlyFi installation is not one antenna. Its two, one for Ku band TV and one for Ka band broadband - see the attached image. The secret sauce is how the radome can handle both Ku and Ka band.