Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

shanxz
Topic Author

Big Data On LAX-DXB A380 Flight Engines

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:29 am

At the DXB Air show, the Engine Alliance, which supplies the A380 engines for EK, EY, QR, among others, have released an interesting infographic detailing all the data the engine captures and transmits during a flight from LAX-DXB.

Interesting to note that the engines generate 10 reports, have 125 parameters per engine - adding up to 5000 data points included in these reports, which are sent out during taxi, takeoff, cruise and landing.

Do other engine manufacturers monitor such data closely? Would it differ based on flight duration and aircraft type?

Full infographic here: http://bit.ly/EAinfographicDAS15

zeke

RE: Big Data On LAX-DXB A380 Flight Engines

Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:40 am

Quoting shanxz (Thread starter):
Do other engine manufacturers monitor such data closely? Would it differ based on flight duration and aircraft type?

All the aircraft we operate have the same style reports, they are transmitted by ACARS. A lot more data is obtained every few days as the QAR disk is changed over.

shanxz
Topic Author

Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:25 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 1):
A lot more data is obtained every few days as the QAR disk is changed over.

How is this data used? With on-board WiFi and connectivity, is this being transferred real-time now?

Chaostheory

Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:52 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 1):
A lot more data is obtained every few days as the QAR disk is changed over.

I think EK has opted for a much less labour intensive approach where the data is transferred over a Wi-fi network at DXB.

http://www.teledyne-controls.com/pdf/GroundLink.pdf

Quoting shanxz (Reply 2):
How is this data used?

Trend monitoring.

Also, you may find my posts here relevant:

Air Canada Landing Accident In Halifax Part 2 (by 777ER Mar 31 2015 in Civil Aviation)

Tristarsteve

Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:42 pm

This data has been around for a while.
In 1994 I used to meet a CX B744 in ARN, and every couple of weeks a telex would arrive from the aircraft telling me that there had been an engine vibration exceedance. The telex came from HKG, but was sent automatically after the message was sent by ACARS from the aircraft.

Back in 1971 it was done a bit more manually. The crew filled in a form on every flight on the Trident, which was sent to the girls in the punch room (punching data onto computor input cards.) The print out was read by the engine monitoring dept every day, and they could call engine and component changes.

mpgunner

Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:45 pm

This is pretty good stuff. I've been in the world of "data chirping" for a long time and have been interested in what is going on with the engine messages.

Does anyone know how much and how often they engine will upload? I see the triggers may upload on demand.

I'm assuming this is using a data pipe that is already connected. Correct?

Any old reports out there that we can take a look at?

Thanks