Unflug
Topic Author

Flight Cancellation Due To ATC Restrictions

Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:54 am

I've been on a flight that has been cancelled due to "ATC restrictions" at the destination airport in the UK.

The strange thing is that all other flights on that day landed, even on time.

Does anybody know how "ATC restrictions" can apply to only one flight?

zeke

RE: Flight Cancellation Due To ATC Restrictions

Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Quoting Unflug (Thread starter):
Does anybody know how "ATC restrictions" can apply to only one flight?

Either an enroute, landing, or gate slot.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Unflug
Topic Author

Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:25 pm

Quoting zeke (Reply 1):
Either an enroute, landing, or gate slot.

Thanks, zeke.

Still leaves me wondering how a single slot can get lost on a day where traffic is normal with no delays.

Reason for my question is that the airline claims "extraordinary circumstances" for the cancellation due to "ATC restrictions". I'd easily understand that if there had been bad weather, delays or any other indications of problems...

Kaiarahi

Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Quoting Unflug (Reply 2):
Reason for my question is that the airline claims "extraordinary circumstances"

Possibly a porky to avoid compensating pax?
Empty vessels make the most noise.

Shuttle12T

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:07 pm

Poor weather in the UK (wind) has affected our operations, especially at busy airports, eg LHR. Using LHR as an example, this is an airport which is already at very high ATC capacity, an adverse weather, wind, fog, snow etc will decrease the flow rate, meaning in basics less aircaft are permitted to arrive and depart than usual.
Therefore, as a result, and sometimes in anticipation of airlines will strategically cancel flights, in order to minimise disruption on a wider network, I appreciate that because it is you that is suffering the disruption then this may be hard to see, but your inbound aircraft/crew may have been stuck down route, meaNing they would not be in a position to operate your flight.
This isn't a cop out by your airline, perhaps badly phrased (maybe weather would have been a better choice of explanation) and rest assured your flight won't be the only one affected.
Don't miss a trip report: https://voyagereport.wordpress.com

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:08 pm

Depending on the arrival rate that ATC is trying to get to or is able to deliver there will be some flights that take a greater hit so the largest number of flights can take less or even no delay. Cancelling some flights reduces the arrival demand at the airport or airspace that is constrained and thus it will cause the flights that operate to not need as much if any delay depending on how well the cancellations reduced the volume to a manageable level for ATC.

"ATC restrictions" is such a broad term. Without knowing the airline, equipment type and route being flown it can be difficult to say exactly what it was.

[Edited 2015-11-18 09:09:08]

Unflug
Topic Author

Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:34 am

Quoting Kaiarahi (Reply 3):
Possibly a porky to avoid compensating pax?

That's what I'd like to find out  
Quoting Shuttle12T (Reply 4):
Using LHR as an example, this is an airport which is already at very high ATC capacity, an adverse weather, wind, fog, snow etc will decrease the flow rate, meaning in basics less aircaft are permitted to arrive and depart than usual.

I understand the principle, but I don't think that was the case. Weather at LCY was good (no fog, westerly wind 3.6 - 7.5 mph according to WeatherOnline), ALL other flights landed on time, it was an evening flight, the flight was cancelled 50 minutes before departure with no delay shown before cancellation: this doesn't fit the case you are describing.

Quoting Shuttle12T (Reply 4):
Therefore, as a result, and sometimes in anticipation of airlines will strategically cancel flights, in order to minimise disruption on a wider network, I appreciate that because it is you that is suffering the disruption then this may be hard to see, but your inbound aircraft/crew may have been stuck down route, meaNing they would not be in a position to operate your flight.

If the inbound aircraft had a problem, a delay would have been known more than 50 minutes before departure - and that wouldn't count as an excuse for not paying compensation anyway.

Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 5):
"ATC restrictions" is such a broad term.

That's why I think it is not acceptable as an excuse for not paying compensation without further explanation, which is missing.