Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

propilot83
Topic Author

FAA Overflight Fees Info

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:28 am

WOW, was just browsing through the FAA.gov website, and happen to find some pretty interesting stuff. Check out this link below for how the FAA charges operators of US aircraft but does not land nor take off, but is charged for just flying over land or oceanic areas, its not that expensive I guess.

http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/international_aviation/overflight_fees/

Notice how the fees have increased since 2012 due to inflation.

FAA Over flight fees included, pretty amazing stuff, its like going through a toll both  

gdg9

RE: FAA Overflight Fees Info

Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:37 am

FAA has proposed increasing the fees too:

https://www.federalregister.gov/articles/2015/08/28/2015-21293/update-of-overflight-fee-rates
@dfwtower

S75752

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:07 am

The US controls that much airspace that they charge fees for?! That's absolutely insane.

MrBuzzcut

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:21 am

From what I understand, overflight fees generally won't apply to US airlines because they'll either be departing from or arriving into the US, and pay the other taxes (bases on ticket sales) and landing fees that help fund the FAA.

The purpose of overflight fees is to capture some payment from airlines that are operating flights that transit US airspace but don't take off or land here (thus no landing fee or ticket tax revenue), like an AC flight from Toronto to Mexico City. It does make sense because controlling those flights for however long does require the same manpower and equipment that controlling a domestic flight of the same length across the country, and without the provision for overflight fees they'd have to collect it elsewhere.

That all said, the fees don't seem too unreasonable. SYD-YVR maps out at 7757 nm, not all in US oceanic airspace, but even if it were, it would be about $1600 for the 14 hour flight, or a couple of seats worth of revenue.

Web500sjc

Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:36 am

The fees only apply to operations in US controlled airspace that do not land or takeoff I the USA.

The USA controls the vast majority of the North Pacific Ocean, from Paupua New Guinea to Japan to Alaska to SAN and south to the equator. The US controls the North East Atlantic , from Maine to St. Croix out to halfway across the Atlantic. In addition to all the continental US traffic.

Every Trans pacific and Carribean flight from North America will transit US controlled airspace, it's not free to provide the service so airlines are charged accordingly (like most countries such as Canada and Russia do).

As a side note, I think UA is the only US airline that has to pay the fees because of their island hopper flight in the Pacific.
Boiler Up!

tmiw

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:16 am

What's does that yellow circle off the East Coast correspond to? I didn't think there was any US territory there.

N1120A

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:31 am

Quoting MrBuzzcut (Reply 3):
SYD-YVR maps out at 7757 nm

It is 1000nm shorter than that.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

nyc2theworld

Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:32 am

Quoting tmiw (Reply 5):
What's does that yellow circle off the East Coast correspond to? I didn't think there was any US territory there.

Bermuda?
Always wonderers if this "last and final boarding call" is in fact THE last and final boarding call.

rlwynn

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Cheaper than the tolls in Italy.

Just kidding.

I wonder how much other countries are and if they are more or cheaper.

[Edited 2015-11-22 06:43:45]
I can drive faster than you

MrBuzzcut

Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:56 pm

Quoting N1120A (Reply 6):
It is 1000nm shorter than that.

Whoops, my bad. I had CG map set to statute miles rather than nm somehow. That's what I get for posting at the end of a long day. Thanks for the correction!

apfpilot

Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 pm

Quoting rlwynn (Reply 8):
I wonder how much other countries are and if they are more or cheaper.

Here is info on NAVCANADA http://www.navcanada.ca/EN/media/Pub...ions/Customer-Guide-Charges-EN.pdf
Opinions are my own and do not reflect an endorsement or position of my employer.

COSPN

Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 am

The island hopper runs GUM to HNL so begins and ends in USA .. KWA is 100% under US control so also considered US

rfields5421

Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:13 pm

Quoting S75752 (Reply 2):
The US controls that much airspace that they charge fees for?! That's absolutely insane.

Airspace control zones are defined by international treaty agreements. Many of the transoceanic zones were setup in the late 40s and early 50s.

The US provides enroute services for much of the Pacific and Atlantic because they built the infrastructure, provide the staffing and provide the services.

None of the local nations under US enroute service areas wish to go to the expense of building their own infrastructure, training and certifying their staffs, and doing their own billing.

If a nation wished to take over enroute control of their own airspace, they only have to spend the money to meet the ICAO requirements.

This map provides a better perspective of world wide FIR zones - http://gis.icao.int/FIRWORLD/

[Edited 2015-12-14 08:17:12]
Not all who wander are lost.