Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

121dispatcher
Topic Author

Flight Dispatch In Asia

Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:54 pm

Good day All,

I am interested in starting a discussion about the aviation industry in Asia and how an American might go about transferring there. I've been reading up a bit, but it would be great to get some first hand accounts/opinions from those who have some knowledge or experience with the Asian aviation industry. Does anyone know how an FAA Dispatch license translates? Or how one might get their foot in the door?

Thanks, in advance, to anyone who can share info!

mmo

RE: Flight Dispatch In Asia

Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:05 pm

Sorry to be blunt, but you need to decide if you want to move to Europe or Asia. The problems are the same in that if you don't have the right to work in Asia or Europe, you are facing an uphill battle. Like Europe, Asia does not have the same dispatcher as the US has, speaking in general terms. You would have more of a chance if you wanted to get into Flight Ops management at CX. As far as Australia or NZ, unless you have some very specific skill or function, you are pretty much SOL.

You will pretty much face the same problems in Europe and Asia. The ME3 would be another option, but unless you are a ground engineer (mechanic) or a pilot you are facing a very difficult uphill battle.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

BravoOne

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:28 pm

I would imagine that there are many more and better opportunities here in the US. Ditto on evrything MMO has just posted.

mercure1

Sat Jan 02, 2016 3:00 am

FAA dispatcher license in general wont mean anything in most countries or companies in Europe or Asia as do not really have similar job function let alone a regulatory environment for such.

US dispatch is not like a pilot or mechanic license which are adaptable globally as jobs are virtually identical. Not so with any dispatcher needs.

The only benefit I could see would be eventually in some flight operations management position where the knowledge base afforded by US dispatch experience might be useful, but thats about it.
mercure f-wtcc

Francoflier

Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:52 am

I can't really think of a country in Asia where a local airline might hire foreign dispatchers.

You'd have to be a legal resident there with the right to work and speak the local language.
Then maybe, if you have a little experience in flight dispatch, might you get a position. Even then, the salaries and conditions might not impress you at all...
I'll do my own airline. With Blackjack. And hookers. In fact, forget the airline.

Starlionblue

Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:24 am

Quoting francoflier (Reply 4):
Then maybe, if you have a little experience in flight dispatch, might you get a position. Even then, the salaries and conditions might not impress you at all...

Quite

The main issue (for you) is that in most Asian countries you can pay people for this type of job way less than they would be paid in the US or Europe.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

121dispatcher
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:45 pm

Thanks for the input, everyone.

COSPN

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:19 pm

I heard Universal was looking at a Philippine base for Asia ops but pay would be low .. 10 per hour is "big money" in the Philippines and you need a work permit and other red tape issues

bhmdiversion

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:19 am

If your trying to get into Asian dispatching, you can go to the contract carriers (I know of 1 in the LAX area) that handles KE, and OZ.

Corporate flight departments in the US also can do a fair amount of Asian flights.

The only difference is that in Asia, most of the routes are given by the government entities and strictly set based on the military controlled airspace.

Stay in the US, at least that's my 3 cents.