121dispatcher
Topic Author

Cass Jumpseat

Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:56 pm

I am looking for some info about CASS and jumpseating.

I am a 121 dispatcher. Where can I get myself set up in CASS? What are the requirements for getting set up?

Anyone have any tips for getting rides? Are there airlines that are more or less friendly/accepting of jumpseaters than others?

Thank you, fine folks!

121dispatcher
Topic Author

RE:

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:15 pm

Let me add, also, that while I am a licenced FAA dispatcher, I do not currently work for an airline. Is that a deal breaker, even if Im in CASS?

tb727

RE: Cass Jumpseat

Mon Jan 04, 2016 6:58 pm

Quoting 121dispatcher (Reply 1):

Let me add, also, that while I am a licenced FAA dispatcher, I do not currently work for an airline. Is that a deal breaker, even if Im in CASS?

You have to be at a company that has the CASS program.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Goldenshield

Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:12 pm

Quoting tb727 (Reply 2):
You have to be at a company that has the CASS program.

To clarify this further, not only do you need the license, but you must be working for a carrier that participates in the CASS program, AND you must also be working in a position that requires the use of said license. If you are a crew scheduler for an airline and you have your dispatch license, this does NOT entitle to you this benefit. You MUST be working as a dispatcher.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

121dispatcher
Topic Author

Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:20 pm

I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

Thanks folks, have a great day.

flyDTW1992

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:51 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 3):
If you are a crew scheduler for an airline and you have your dispatch license, this does NOT entitle to you this benefit. You MUST be working as a dispatcher.

That's the strangest part of it if you ask me. Plenty of other positions doing work just as important as dispatchers, with license holders working in them at CASS airlines.

Especially positions involving extensive travel like operations safety auditors and the like. Those types of positions would actually stand to gain professionally from being able to jumpseat, whereas dispatchers rarely have the need to travel.
Now you're flying smart

Dalmd88

Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:19 pm

Quoting flyDTW1992 (Reply 5):
Especially positions involving extensive travel like operations safety auditors and the like. Those types of positions would actually stand to gain professionally from being able to jumpseat, whereas dispatchers rarely have the need to travel.

But don't those positions get company provided space when they need to travel for work? If DL needs me to go fix an airplane at an outstation I get a positive space ticket. Same goes for attending a training event in another station.

PHLapproach

Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:11 pm

However to maintain qualification the FAA requires all Dispatchers to observe from the jumpseat for a minimum of 5 hours per year. We aren't in CASS just for personal flying. Only reason we are in CASS is to make the process easier of getting our 5 hours per year in. The personal travel abilities in CASS are just a nice side benefit of being in it.

L-188

Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:40 am

Also keep in mind not all carriers allow dispatchers to inteline on them.

And if there is a piltot and you that want the seat, the pilot wins.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

PHLapproach

Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:43 am

Quoting L-188 (Reply 8):
Also keep in mind not all carriers allow dispatchers to inteline on them.

And if there is a piltot and you that want the seat, the pilot wins.

That holds true only if comparing Dispatch to Pilot at the same company. Dispatchers jumpseating on their own metal always have higher priority over an OAL Pilot requesting the Jumpseat. So the only pilot that could bump the Dispatcher would also have to be trying to Jumpseat on their own metal.

HAWK21M

Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:01 am

Quoting tb727 (Reply 2):
the CASS program.

Anyone having a link to this CASS program, as Im unfamiliar with this outhere.
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

zeke

Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 10):
Anyone having a link to this CASS program, as Im unfamiliar with this outhere.

Not applicable to you.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

FlyHossD

Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:58 am

The carrier can (and does) authorize those positions like auditors to ride on their own aircraft. For example, someone conducting a L.O.S.A. (Line Operations Safety Audit) would be allowed - required - to jumpseat on that company's aircraft, but not on another carrier since they're not part of that other carrier's L.O.S.A. team.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

HAWK21M

Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:18 am

Quoting zeke (Reply 11):

Not applicable to you.

What exactly is this....Any link for Educational purpose  

Web500sjc

Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:57 pm

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 13):
What Is Cass? What Is Jumpseating? (by JETBLUEATASW Apr 28 2007 in Tech Ops)
Boiler Up!

bhmdiversion

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:16 am

CASS is a secure system that airlines have as a way to allow crew/dispatchers the use of a jumpseat onboard. Your company must be "in" CASS, have reciprocal agreements with other airlines, etc. It is for US airlines, and some Canadian airlines as well.

Just because you have a Dispatcher certificate, doesn't mean your allowed into the cockpit for travel... expecially if your not employed by an authorized airline.

FlyASAGuy2005

Thu Jan 14, 2016 3:07 am

It's all automated as others point out. Your picture, employee #, everything pops up on the other airline's agent's computer for positive verification.
What gets measured gets done.

HAWK21M

Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:10 am

Quoting Web500sjc (Reply 14):

Thanks for the link

Passedv1

Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:55 am

Many on here are getting this this all backwards. CASS has nothing to do with being able to sit in the jump-seat of your own airline. Some airlines may/do use the same system as a convenience, but many airlines DO NOT have a CASS system at all. An airline can allow anybody it wants (assuming background checks obviously) to ride in the jumpseat. At Alaska, FA's have an opportunity when first hired to sit up front as well as some flight operations interns during the summer, we've also had a couple of documentary filmmakers on board as well as a reporter or two. However, none of these individuals are in "CASS".

Airlines have for a very long time (40-50 years...at least) have maintained "Recipricol Jumpseat" agreements. In which the airline agrees to allow pilots of say, Delta airlines to fly in the jumpseats of American Airlines jets, on the condition that Delta extend the same courtesy to American pilots. It started out with the pilots and has since extended to mechanics, dispatchers, etc.

Pre 9-11, all a pilot/mechanics/etc. needed to do was to show up to the gate with there company ID to get on the jumpseat. (see the movie "Catch Me if You Can")

Immediately after 9-11, there was a rumor that was later proved to be false that one of the hijackers got on board using the jump-seat privilege.

Although it proved to be false, that can of worms was opened, and the FAA issued a mandate that an airline could not allow a non-employee on the flight deck unless it could positively verify the current identity and employment status of the jump-seater. This proved to be impossible on a day-to-day basis so this effectively put an end to off-line jump-seating.

There was a 2 or 3 year period in which there was effectively no inter-line jumpseating in the United States.

ALPA worked with the FAA to develop the CASS system which is what most of the larger US airlines use today in order to identify OFF-LINE Jump-seaters.

Especially positions involving extensive travel like operations safety auditors and the like. Those types of positions would actually stand to gain professionally from being able to jump-seat, whereas dispatchers rarely have the need to travel.

What you are describing are business related travel. If they are safety auditors flying on their own airline, it is not necessary for them to be in the CASS system. If the safety auditors are trying to get places on other airlines, then travel in the jumpseat is prohibited CASS or no-CASS. The only time you can travel on an off-line jump-seat is if you are traveling for personal reasons or you are a flight crew-member commuting to/from your domicile. If you are traveling off-line for work you are required/expected to buy a seat in the back.

jhooper

Sat Jan 16, 2016 7:28 pm

CASS is a security-sensitive subject. Ask your employer for the information you require. Nobody with knowledge on how to access cockpit jumpseats should post such knowledge on a public forum. If your employer can't provide the answers, then you're probably not eligible.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

MSJYOP28Apilot

Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Quoting PassedV1 (Reply 18):
Airlines have for a very long time (40-50 years...at least) have maintained "Recipricol Jumpseat" agreements. In which the airline agrees to allow pilots of say, Delta airlines to fly in the jumpseats of American Airlines jets, on the condition that Delta extend the same courtesy to American pilots. It started out with the pilots and has since extended to mechanics, dispatchers, etc.

Why were mechanics taken off the jumpseat agreements or were they even on there to begin with? Right now, only pilots and dispatchers are covered by cockpit jumpseat agreements while FA's have their own for the FA jumpseat. The mechanics that can jumpseat for personal use only do on their own airline and only a few airlines allow that now.

SUPRAZACHAIR

Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:04 am

Quoting jhooper (Reply 20):

CASS is a security-sensitive subject. Ask your employer for the information you require. Nobody with knowledge on how to access cockpit jumpseats should post such knowledge on a public forum. If your employer can't provide the answers, then you're probably not eligible.

Relax, CASS is not SSI. It's just an employment verification system... nothing more.

[Edited 2016-02-01 16:06:51]

HAWK21M

Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:46 am

Quoting MSJYOP28Apilot (Reply 20):

Why were mechanics taken off the jumpseat agreements or were they even on there to begin with? Right now, only pilots and dispatchers are covered by cockpit jumpseat agreements while FA's have their own for the FA jumpseat. The mechanics that can jumpseat for personal use only do on their own airline and only a few airlines allow that now.

Out here any licenced person from the Airline cleared for jumpseating by the company appropriate authority can travel Jumpseated on duty.This includes Pilots/FDO/AME/AMT/L&T personnell etc.

L-188

Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:06 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 22):
Out here any licenced person from the Airline cleared for jumpseating by the company appropriate authority can travel Jumpseated on duty.

A lot of companies doing ad-hoc work will fly one of their mechanics with the crew to work on the aircraft if they run into trouble when out on a trip. Oddly enough on most freighters the only seats are in the cockpit.

Woodreau

Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:38 pm

Quoting L-188 (Reply 23):
Oddly enough on most freighters the only seats are in the cockpit.

Granted my experience with freighters are limited to FedEx, but I've found that there is usually a single row of seats just behind the flight deck on the ones I flown with on FedEx. On widebody freighters, I was welcome to use the crew rest or the seats whichever one I preferred.

They'd prefer OAL jumpseaters not to be in the cockpit.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

L-188

Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:14 am

Quoting Woodreau (Reply 24):

Granted my experience with freighters are limited to FedEx, but I've found that there is usually a single row of seats just behind the flight deck on the ones I flown with on FedEx.

Miy experience is with narrow body aircraft.

There isn't a lot of extra space.