Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

121dispatcher
Topic Author

Dispatch Experience Relevance

Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:32 am

Good morning Aviators!

I am a licensed FAA Dispatcher with 121 experience. However, I have not actually worked for an airline for a few years. I am interested in getting back into the aviation world.

Being in the SOC, I learned a bit about the structure of airlines, but I'm certainly no expert on how all the positions interrelate. My question is this:

If my ONLY experience is 121 dispatching and my aim is to get back into that job, in the absence of current dispatcher openings, what sorts of positions ought I be looking at that will be natural moves into dispatching again, once a position opens?

Thank you for any info you share!

MSJYOP28Apilot

RE: Dispatch Experience Relevance

Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:15 pm

For regionals, you just apply. With your Part 121 experience, getting hired off the street shouldnt be a problem.

For a major, you would need to look at weight and balance department, crew scheduling department, and airport operations.

DFWflightpath

Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:34 pm

for someone entering the aviation industry, what are job prospects like immediately after completing dispatch training, passing the exam, and getting licensed?

flyDTW1992

Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm not a licensed dispatcher but I work in conjunction with them in an OCC for a certain smaller 121 cargo carrier based in Michigan. We're hiring dispatchers as well as crew schedulers and OCC quality assurance personnel (a position that requires a dispatch certificate but is a support role).
Now you're flying smart

SKC

Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm

The way several majors are hiring dozens of dispatchers out of the regional airlines this past year, I can't fathom that there wouldn't be jobs out there, if you're willing to relocate.

We (SWA) have hired around 100 dispatchers in the past year. Crazy numbers compared to our historical trends. A big chunk of those were internal hires, but dozens were external. Heck, we probably hired 10 from Skywest alone.

Bottom line, is that if you're wanting experience, you're likely going to have to relocate.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

DFWflightpath

Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:15 pm

what are salaries like to start?

bhmdiversion

Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:13 am

Regionals can start around $15/USD an hour. Most dispatch schools have job placement assistance, or even some have airlines come and interview while your in class.

Do your time at a regional then move on...

L-188

Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:38 pm

Well,here is my story.

I was working the dispatch desk about 10 years ago for a part-135 carrier. Did that for about four years. After that company went under I got my dispatcher license intending to get on with anothcarrier. (licenses are not required for 135 operators) . What ended up happening is tha I got another job outside aviation whochlastedabout ten years. When that ended I was pickd up by a 121 carrier.

My prior experience did help me land (sorry for the pun) there despite having never used my license in ten years. But up here Weel put a lt of stock in local experience and knowledge.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.