spudsmac
Topic Author

What Kind Of Paint Sealant Is Used On Jets?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:19 am

Someone told me it's basically a TSO'd version of Nu Finish. Is that an accurate statement? What's the official name of it?

EMBQA

RE: What Kind Of Paint Sealant Is Used On Jets?

Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:38 pm

Are you asking about paint, or sealant..? Two different things.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Dalmd88

Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:42 pm

For paint I know DL uses PPG Desothane CA8000. I don't think we typically use the clear coat topcoat just a gloss color coat. It is nothing like NuFinish. We do dry wash with a compound that reminds me of the Mequires detail compound. The old Dupont Imron paint is also popular in aviation. It's a pain to spray well if you can't paint, that would be me included.

badgervor

Fri Feb 05, 2016 8:37 pm

Slightly off topic...but how long does the process take to repaint/paint an airplane?

KELPkid

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:04 pm

Quoting Dalmd88 (Reply 2):
The old Dupont Imron paint is also popular in aviation. It's a pain to spray well if you can't paint, that would be me included.

I thought most airlines don't use it because although it creates a beautiful finish, it adds lots of weight to a plane the size of an airliner...Imron is more for GA planes and bizjets  

P.S. IIRC, to paint a plane with Imron, you have to sand down the previous finish and apply an acidic treatment to the skin before painting (helped my instructor get his 172 ready for repainting many moons ago...)
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

kanban

Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:30 pm

They used to apply an Alodine product to the bare aluminum which is both an anti corrosive and provides "tooth" for the subsequent paint to adhere to.

Dalmd88

Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:42 am

Quoting badgervor (Reply 3):
Slightly off topic...but how long does the process take to repaint/paint an airplane?

About a week for a sand and spray on most airliners.

spudsmac
Topic Author

Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:38 am

So you don't have to wax planes? I doubt they do wax, but what would the waxing equivalent be for transport category aircraft?

Dalmd88

Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:55 pm

The cleaning crew does a dry wash when planes are in our hangar for a couple of days or more. Not sure what it is that they use but it reminds me of Mirror Glaze from Mequiars. It just takes off the grime and faded paint. I don't think it leaves behind a wax.

jetstar

Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:33 pm

I went through 2 repaints on the JetStars I worked on back in the 1970’s and 80’s, both were repainted using a polyurethane paint called Alumigrip, the first polyurethane aircraft paint, I think it was made by a company called US Paint, but I could be wrong it was over 40 years ago.

On both airplanes the airplane was stripped down to bare metal, then a corrosion neutralizer was used, I believe it was called WO1, both airplanes had been previously painted using Alumigrip and in the early days of Alumigrip the paint would hold in any moisture that was on the skin and a surface corrosion called filiform would form, especially around the rivet heads so WO1 was used to neutralize this type of corrosion if it hadn’t progressed to far. I know of one JetStar that went through a strip and repaint and the filiform corrosion was so deep on the rudder that the rudder had to be removed and shipped back to Lockheed for reskinning.

After WO1 the airframe was treated with Alodine, a corrosion preventative and after the Alodine treatment the airframe was sprayed with an Alumigrip primer and then the final coat and trim colors.

Aircraft painting and the types of paint have come a long way since Alumigrip was introduced and I am not up on the latest paints and procedures.

In the hangar where I worked in HPN, the mechanic on one of the corporate planes based there after their airplane had been repainted had enough paint left over so he decided to use the remaining paint on his VW Beetle, so he sanded the car down and used what he thought was the proper primer and after the primer spray painted the car with the left over Alumigrip. What happed is the Alumigrip hardened and looked great but never adhered to the primer and the Alumigrip started to lift off in large pieces, you could actually take a butter knife and lift off the paint from the car and that’s basically how he stripped off the Alumigrip and just used a enamel auto paint to repaint the car.

JetStar

pugman211

Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:15 am

Polyurethane paints are mostly used I think, and the top skins of wings have elastomeric paint applied which has a flexible additive to allow for the bending Of the wings.

2 brands I know of are PPG Desothane CA8000 and Akzo Nobel Aviox 77702. Now, there are of course lots of primers available, But usually a complete paint system is applied I.e. you wouldn't apply a PPG primer and then a Akzo topcoat.

A lot will depend on who the vendor for the repaint is and what products they use.