sudden
Topic Author

"Follow Me"

Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:24 pm

Maybe someone can clarify to me the Follow Me car regarding when and why. And please, no "I think..." responses.

I have flown the A380 few times out/in of Amsterdam now and here they are required to have a Follow Me car.
The A380 has it's own designated gate in Amsterdam where there is lots of space, naturally. But also during taxi close to the airport itself they always have a Follow Me car.
Now I would like to know what determines if this is required. I mean, Amsterdam has no real sharp turns, objects along the taxi that could be hit, and so forth.
Been to BKK few times and there they don't have a Follow Me car.

Would it be the airport that simply require this due to wingspan? Or EK themselves want it like this?

Thanks for clarification.
When in doubt, flat out!

mmo

RE: "Follow Me"

Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:30 pm

Quoting sudden (Thread starter):
Would it be the airport that simply require this due to wingspan? Or EK themselves want it like this?

Every time I have flown into AMS, I have been met with a "follow me" car. It seems to be standard for all non-KLM widebodies.

It's not a EK thing but most likely an airport authority.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

sudden
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 6:39 pm

Quoting mmo (Reply 1):
It seems to be standard for all non-KLM widebodies.

Also not actually as many foreign heavies taxi without a Follow Me vehicle. I see them more or less every day.
I still think it has to do with the A380 itself rather then being a foreign carrier.
When in doubt, flat out!

Iemand91

Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:34 pm

One thing to note is that the A380 has quite a lot of restrictions at Amsterdam.
Every runway can be used apart from 04/22 (Oostbaan) and runway 09/27 (Buitenvelderbaan) has a MTOW of 450.000kg. (because of the motorway underneath).
Also landing on runway 24 (Kaagbaan) is prohibited because of insufficient wingtip clearance at the Romeo cargo-platform.

Also a lot of taxiways are prohibited for the A380; the entire airport/taxiways east of runway 36R/18L (Aalsmeerbaan) is prohibited, taxiway next to the 'Fokkerfarm' is only allowed under guidance because of wingtip clearance.
The taxiway between the 'Fokkerfarm' and the cargo platform has restrictions (engines)

And it's basically only allowed to enter the platforms at Gate 09 and Gate E18; the only A380 capable gates at Amsterdam. Every other gate area is prohibited.

But, that's information I found a few years ago, that may have changed since then.
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

sudden
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:01 pm

I came in on Polderbaan last night and then you have to taxi over the highway to get to concourse G.
Landing on rwy 09/27 is being done often though so therefore Follow Me would be required as well.
When in doubt, flat out!

sudden
Topic Author

Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:22 pm

By the way, EK is using rwy 09-27 as well for take-off
When in doubt, flat out!

RRTrent

Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:47 am

Might it be anything to do with the amount of restrictions in AMS regarding A380's taxi routes, and pilots not being familiar with AMS and wanting to avoid taking a wrong turn.... its not as if they can just take a different route and back taxi like a 777 or A330. If an A380 goes the wrong way in AMS (and many other airports I would imagine) it can cause mayhem for ground ops in trying to get it back to where its supposed to be, not to mention all the other traffic that has to be managed around it.

Quoting sudden (Reply 5):
By the way, EK is using rwy 09-27 as well for take-off

As posted above, its limited by weight. An A380 heading to DXB will be well below the max weight the bridge can handle.

lapper

Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:49 am

RZE (Rzeszow) tend to use a Follow Me vehicle for all arrivals and departures (mostly 738s and 320s). Anyone who's flown into there will know it's not a huge airport.

[Edited 2016-04-01 04:50:10]

pspfan

Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:57 pm

A follow me car is mandatory at AMS for an A380 due to some weight and wingspan restrictions. Taxiways Q, R and A between A3 and Q. The eastern part of the field is also prohibited but that isn't a problem except when 27 is used for take offs.
So the "follow me" car is to ensure smooth ops.
Fixit002Heavy

sudden
Topic Author

Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:34 am

Quoting pspfan (Reply 8):

A follow me car is mandatory at AMS for an A380 due to some weight and wingspan restrictions. Taxiways Q, R and A between A3 and Q. The eastern part of the field is also prohibited but that isn't a problem except when 27 is used for take offs.
So the "follow me" car is to ensure smooth ops.

Thanks for the clarification.
When in doubt, flat out!

Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:20 pm

Some international airports have a policy of providing a "Follow Me" vehicle to lead arriving aircraft to their parking spot. It's actually a welcome feature for pilots who might not be totally familiar with the layout of the airport or who may have difficulty understanding the instructions provided over the radio. I never complained even when I had visited an airport many times!

Iemand91

Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:19 am

As of last Monday; the weight restrictions of runway 09/27 (Buitenveldertbaan) has been lifted since the tunnel roof has been strengthened.
So this runway can be used like any other, normal runway.
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/