hyd09l27r
Topic Author

Pitot Tube Design Between Various Aircraft Makers

Sat May 07, 2016 8:28 am

I was just reading an article about an Etihad air speed indicator issue from 2013. I realized that it was an Airbus and had a partially blocked pitot tube.

This got me thinking - I have almost always only read about Airbus incidents with pitot tubes, don't remember any Boeing ones top of my head.

Is there any difference in the design of the between Boeing and Airbus? Or other manufacturers?

Starlionblue

RE: Pitot Tube Design Between Various Aircraft Makers

Sat May 07, 2016 10:31 am

Quoting hyd09L27R (Thread starter):

I was just reading an article about an Etihad air speed indicator issue from 2013. I realized that it was an Airbus and had a partially blocked pitot tube.

This got me thinking - I have almost always only read about Airbus incidents with pitot tubes, don't remember any Boeing ones top of my head.

Is there any difference in the design of the between Boeing and Airbus? Or other manufacturers?

Boeing and Airbus don't make pitot tubes. They buy them from companies like Thales. So you might find the same pitot tube on a Boeing and an Airbus. I don't know if this actually happens but I'm guessing it does. The requirements are no different.

There are differences between models. Not in concept, but in detail.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

HALtheAI

Sat May 07, 2016 11:17 am

remember any Boeing ones top of my head.

Recent issue with 787 pitot tubes: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ilots-of-bad-airspeed-data-423735/

kelvin933

Sat May 07, 2016 2:36 pm

Remember Birgenair Flight 301, apparently caused by pitot tubes on a 752. Theory is that the pitot tubes where not covered during a stay at POP, allowing wasps to build a nest inside at least one of the pitot tubes.
Another is Aeroperú Flight 603 also a 757.
“Nations have no permanent friends or allies, they only have permanent interests.”

mmo

Sat May 07, 2016 4:07 pm

Quoting kelvin933 (Reply 3):
Remember Birgenair Flight 301, apparently caused by pitot tubes on a 752. Theory is that the pitot tubes where not covered during a stay at POP, allowing wasps to build a nest inside at least one of the pitot tubes.
Another is Aeroperú Flight 603 also a 757.

Not quite the same in either case. The Birgerair flight had been parked for some time, 20 days, during that time the pitot tubes were not covered. Birgenair subsequently disputed the final accident report saying the aircraft had sat for only 12 days and the pitot tubes were covered. The EY incident happened in a much shorter time period of time 2 hours.

The Aeroperu flight was the result of the tape being left on some or all of the static ports after the aircraft was washed. Neither Mx nor the flight crew noticed the tape.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

hyd09l27r
Topic Author

Sun May 08, 2016 1:48 pm

Quoting HALtheAI (Reply 2):

remember any Boeing ones top of my head.

Recent issue with 787 pitot tubes: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...ilots-of-bad-airspeed-data-423735/

Thats an interesting read - although the article doesn't mention, do you know if this was related to specific altitudes? I remember there was another directive related to high altitudes and engine icing on 787

pygmalion

Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 pm

When the AF447 accident happened and the AD to restrict the number of one suppliers pitot tubes on an airplane, there was also a Boeing AD doing the same as they used the same supplier with a similar design and flaw.