adiru777
Topic Author

Will the PMDG 747v3 actually sell?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:51 am

Compared to its two previous debuts, the 737 which is the most popular commercial airline airplane in the world, and the 777 being Boeing second most popular overall, and top wide body twin jet, will the new PMDG 747-400 that comes out later this year or early 2017 sell anywhere nearly as well its the last two? In real life, the 747-400 is all but dead.....

Any thoughts as to why they would make an airplane that no one flys anymore

jetwet1

Re: Will the PMDG 747v3 actually sell?

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:03 am

This will probably get moved to a more relevant forum by one of the mods, but think of it this way, how many flight sim people grew up with the 744 ? In most aviation enthusiasts the 744 holds a very special place in our hearts.

Also, when I boot up the flight sim, most of my flights are either using a DC-10 or MD-11, both aircraft are just about dead in the real world, but I enjoy flying them in a sim.

adiru777
Topic Author

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:05 am

jetwet1 wrote:
This will probably get moved to a more relevant forum by one of the mods, but think of it this way, how many flight sim people grew up with the 744 ? In most aviation enthusiasts the 744 holds a very special place in our hearts.

Also, when I boot up the flight sim, most of my flights are either using a DC-10 or MD-11, both aircraft are just about dead in the real world, but I enjoy flying them in a sim.

From a popularity standpoint on flightaware it is way down on the ranks. Simulation emulates real life. Demand gone in real life, because demand down in sim.
Last edited by adiru777 on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thunderboltdrgn

Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:21 am

I think it will sell pretty well, relatively speaking. However PMDG products are very niched though since they are very complex and thus also very expensive.
I think Aerosofts A330 will sell better since it is aimed at a wider market since their aircraft is not as complex as the PMDG which means that
they can sell it for a lower price.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

CaptainKramer

Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:48 am

It will sell, if you do one of the following. Fly the latest and greatest PMDG B777, or the PMDG B737 developed specifically for FSX and then go fly the PMDG B744 V1, originally developed for FS9, 2004 Century of Flight, which was then adapted to be used in FSX and now designated V2.

Chalk and cheese by miles! I'll will certainly be making a sizeable donation to PMDG, via debit card when it releases!

RRTrent

Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

I have the current PMDG 747 and don't know if I'll bother forking out what will probably be near $100 for whats basically a glorified update. If they had a discount for existing 747 customers then I'd consider it (much like Aerosoft and the A32X)

No doubt it will be amazing, but from a personal perspective, will I get more from it than I do with the existing 747 product, I doubt it!

Thunderboltdrgn

Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:47 pm

RRTrent wrote:
I have the current PMDG 747 and don't know if I'll bother forking out what will probably be near $100 for whats basically a glorified update.
If they had a discount for existing 747 customers then I'd consider it (much like Aerosoft and the A32X)

No doubt it will be amazing, but from a personal perspective, will I get more from it than I do with the existing 747 product, I doubt it!

I'd say that if it is on sell for "only" $100, I would be very surprised. I think it is more likely to hit $150.
Then you also need to pay separately if you want it for more then one platform, while Aerosoft gives you one multi platform installer.
Like a thunderbolt of lightning the Dragon roars across the sky. Il Drago Ruggente

joffie

Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:04 am

I recall PMDG said they are doing the 747 again because its Rob's favorite plane.

You are right they are becoming more rare in real life, however the 747-8 is used by a few freight companies.

I have the 777 for FSX however never bothered to rebuy it for P3D. I prolly will buy the 744 as Qantas still, and will have them around for a few more years.

Personally, I am looking forward to the Aerosoft A320 for P3D. I know that will also be pricy.