marriedtoplanes
Topic Author

An Aviation Enthusiat’s Perfect Christmas?

Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:22 pm

Hi all,

I would usually start this off with telling you my name, but as my husband frequents this site, I’m afraid he might see this, so I’ll introduxe myself as “Emily”. I have recently married the most amazing man who I know will do everything in his life to make me happy and he just so happens to be a big aviation enthusiast (please let me know if that is the correct term). This Christmas, I endeavor to repay him the favor and as he is a frequent contributor to this site, when thinking of the perfect Christmas/anniversary present for him, I realized that probably the best people to turn to would be you! So I pose the same question to you: what is your dream Christmas present? Please bear in mind that it should be reasonable in price (I’m willing to splurge, just not to extravagant lengths) and time (as in, if needed by Christmas it is easy to obtain). Would greatly appreciate any hints or suggestions from this community, as I know my husband turns to you when he needs to wind down and read about the things he loves.

Much love,
“Emily”

EBJ68

Re: An Aviation Enthusiat’s Perfect Christmas?

Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:40 am

I don't know where you folks live or what his favorite airplanes are, but a trip to a first rate air museum might fill the bill. The Air Force Museum in Dayton, Ohio or the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, Florida, for starters. Both are first class. The Pima Air & Space Museum in Arizona is quite nice and has a large collection of military and civilan airplanes.

A nice camera to photograph airplanes is another idea. If he likes to read, there are a variety of airplane books that can be purchased on the Internet. Schiffer is one publisher that has a line of aviation related books.

Aviation related videos can also be found on the internet and there're military and civilian videos to match most any enthusiast's tastes.

marriedtoplanes
Topic Author

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:35 am

Thank you so much! We live in London but I love the idea of going to a first rate air museum. I will definitely do some research but if you happen to know of any in the UK off the top of your head, that would be much appreciated!

mikesbucky

Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:14 pm

If you live in London, the Imperial War Museum at Duxford would be a good choice. It's just west of the M11 near Cambridge. The RAF museums would also be good options. There is one in London and another at Cosford in Shropshire.

Another option would be to get him a flight on an aircraft he hasn't flown on before, but is interested in. Duxford has Tiger Moth and Dragon Rapide flights, but they normally only go in the warmer months.

EBJ68

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:22 pm

Mikebucky you saved the day! I was at a loss to remember which air museums are near London. I'd love to go there myself. I live in the United States.

trijetsonly

Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:53 pm

Wasn't there a topic about the Concorde Flight Simulator that is available in Surrey?
Me as an aviation enthusiast would love to get a simulator session in the Concorde as a gift from my beloved one.

Found the link again:
https://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/concorde/concorde-events/fly-the-simulator
Happy Landings

Flyingdevil737

Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:38 pm

If you want to go overseas, there are some pretty good aviation museums here in Australia, particularly along the east coast.
There is the HARS museum at Illawarra airport that has older WWII/Vietnam era planes and a Convair 340 (?) and an old Qantas Lockheed Constellation plus the first 747-400 in the Qantas fleet.

Further north, in outback Queensland, you can visit the QFOM (Qantas Founders Museum), and that also has a Connie, along with a 707 and 747 classic.
The thunder from Down Under

opticalilyushin

Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:48 am

If you want to stay in the London area Brooklands is a must! It is not too far from Heathrow.

What is he specifically into within aviation? Photography? Museums? Commercial planes? Military? Old planes? Travelling?

Mattheus

Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:37 pm

In my opinion, he would want a flight simulator of some kind. Try getting him a Yoke/Joystick and a copy of XPlane11 if he has a good computer.