simpv
Topic Author

Books on Aviation History

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:03 pm

I was wondering what everybody recommends for books on aviation history. This could include the origins, manufacturers, airlines, deregulation, etc.

psa188

Re: Books on Aviation History

Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:17 pm

Gosh, that is a rather broad-based question, but I'll give it a go. R. E. G. Davies has written a number of histories, including several broad-based books. Despite the fact that a few errors reportedly crept into his last book, "Airlines of the Jet Age," I would recommend any of his titles. In addition to the broad-based industry histories, he has written several books on specific airlines. George Cearley has also written several airline histories; these take a more "scrapbook" approach. Robert Serling took a novelists' approach with his "informal histories" of several airlines (and Boeing). A good place to start is by browsing the tables at an airline collectible show. If there is an aviation museum with a library near where you live, you could check their catalog.

Travolta709

Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:48 pm

Hello, can you advice TOP 1-3 books about Aviation History (better non too difficult) - want to help my son with his homework

trpmb6

Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:29 pm

I have a couple favorites. My top three are:

1. Skunk Works by Ben Rich

From the development of the U-2 to the Stealth fighter, the never-before-told story behind America's high-stakes quest to dominate the skies Skunk Works is the true story of America's most secret and successful aerospace operation. As recounted by Ben Rich, the operation's brilliant boss for nearly two decades, the chronicle of Lockheed's legendary Skunk Works is a drama of cold war confrontations and Gulf War air combat, of extraordinary feats of engineering and human achievement against fantastic odds. Here are up-close portraits of the maverick band of scientists and engineers who made the Skunk Works so renowned. Filled with telling personal anecdotes and high adventure, with narratives from the CIA and from Air Force pilots who flew the many classified, risky missions, this book is a riveting portrait of the most spectacular aviation triumphs of the twentieth century.

2. Apollo 13 by Jim Lovell and Jeff Kluger (Alternate title: Lost Moon: The Perilous Journey of Apollo 13)

In April 1970, during the glory days of the Apollo space program, NASA sent Navy Captain Jim Lovell and two other astronauts on America's fifth mission to the moon. Only fifty-five hours into the flight of Apollo 13, disaster struck: a mysterious explosion rocked the ship, and soon its oxygen and power began draining away. Written with all the color and drama of the best fiction, APOLLO 13 (previously published as Lost Moon) tells the full story of the moon shot that almost ended in catastrophe. Minutes after the explosion, the three astronauts are forced to abandon the main ship for the lunar module, a tiny craft designed to keep two men alive for just two days. As the hours tick away, the narrative shifts from the crippled spacecraft to Mission Control, from engineers searching desperately for a way to fix the ship to Lovell's wife and children praying for his safe return. The entire nation watches as one crisis after another is met and overcome. By the time the ship splashes down in the Pacific, we understand why the heroic effort to rescue Lovell and his crew is considered by many to be NASA's finest hour.

3. Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam (Alternate Title: October Sky)
(Homer Hickam is a former NASA engineer and his book Rocket Boys inspired the film October Sky - They re-released the book under the same name years later)

With the grace of a natural storyteller, NASA engineer Homer Hickam paints a warm, vivid portrait of the harsh West Virginia mining town of his youth, evoking a time of innocence and promise, when anything was possible, even in a company town that swallowed its men alive. A story of romance and loss, of growing up and getting out, Homer Hickam's lush, lyrical memoir is a chronicle of triumph—at once exquisitely written and marvelously entertaining.

Travolta709

Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:39 am

trpmb6 wrote:

Thank you so much!

trpmb6

Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:45 pm

Travolta709 wrote:
trpmb6 wrote:

Thank you so much!

Depending on age, the movie October Sky is a great pre-teen age movie that younger kids can relate to. Be warned, they'll probably want to make rockets haha.

AntonioMartin

Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:48 pm

simpv wrote:
I was wondering what everybody recommends for books on aviation history. This could include the origins, manufacturers, airlines, deregulation, etc.

REG DAvies' airline books are the best IMO , with Mike Machat's impeccable drawings...

rayadientes

Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:49 pm

Im sure, theres a lot of people collecting books of aviation.

vfw614

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:39 pm

I assume you are from the US as you are mentioning deregulation.

There are two books called "Deregulation Knockouts" (subtitled "Round One" and "Round Two") by Tom Norwood published in 1996 and 2006 which are quite nice (they are more on the picture side).

readytotaxi

Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:47 am

Accidents and crashes are all part of history, one person who did a remarkable job of telling the stories was a gentleman by the name of Macarthur Job. His books are titled Air Disaster and each volume contains up to 20 examples with very good artwork. He presents it in an easy to understand way but does not dumb it down. Recommended reading.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macarthur_Job
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

sercanalici

Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:02 am

1 Wings by Tom D Crouch.
2 The Flight of the Century by Thomas Kessner.
3 Flights of Passage by Samuel Hynes.
4 The Chosen Instrument by Marylin Bender and Selig Altschul.
5 Sky As Frontier by David T Courtwright. Joseph Corn. Joseph Corn is the author of the aviation classic The Winged Gospel and two other history books.

Philippine747

Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:57 am

Would like to recommend Legend and Legacy by Robert J. Serling. It provides a good look at Boeing's history from founding until 777 development.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT75 AT76 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK UB K7 WE