burchfiel
Topic Author

Site that lets you view all routes of an airline on a single map

Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:46 am

I love being able to see all of an airline's routes on a single map, and although there are lots of sites that allow you to see all nonstop routes from a single airport (I especially like Kayak.com/routes), it's rare to find a site that will show you all of an airline's routes. I've also been disappointed to see that a number of airlines (e.g. WN, AA, AF and now UA for domestic) don't even show routes on their airline magazine route maps—just destination cities.

Therefore, I was happy to discover FlightsFrom, a website that lets you (among other things) see all of the routes that a single airline flies. The maps it creates are very beautiful. For instance, here is what AA's route map looks like: https://www.flightsfrom.com/AA

(The site seems to load better on a desktop than on a phone.)

What are your thoughts? Looks like a really neat resource, and I could probably spend a whole day on it just comparing different airlines (e.g. UA vs DL vs AA). Is there a reason why sites like this aren't more common?

Also, it's worth noting that Airline Route Mapper, a program with tons of functionality for looking at routes, has just been updated for the first time in (I think) nearly 5 years. It can be downloaded here: http://arm.64hosts.com/
Last edited by burchfiel on Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aloha717200

Re: Site that lets you view all routes of an airline on a single map

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:00 am

I just checked this out and its a fantastic resource. Thank you for sharing this!

Ishrion

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:03 am

Looks great! Is anyone else's routes to Asia cut off on one side?

burchfiel
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:13 am

Yeah, that happens for me too.

NeBaNi

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:36 am

Flightradar24 has a pretty neat functionality that shows all of the routes flown by an airline in the past seven days. I only discovered this a few weeks ago! :biggrin:
Here's an example for Etihad. Just click on "Show all routes" within the map to see all of them.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airlines/ey-etd/routes

steveinbc

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:45 am

Air Canada has a route network map on its website - as do many other airlines. Many airports also offer their direct routes too.
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Gemuser

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:14 am

I am NOT impressed by two aspects of these maps:
1) The hard cut off at 180 degrees, it makes the maps look stupid for trans Pacific routes and also VERY hard to follow. It should not be hard to program a floating cut off point. For QF a mid Atlantic cut off would be best, for NZ a cut off around western asia would work.
2) T he maps are either too low a resoulation or they have crammed too much information into them. I was quite amused to find that NZ served Mar Del Plata, MDQ & QF served Houston TX & Pasco WA It should also not be too hard to actually lable the cities served on a particular map.

Gemuser

Solidus

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:15 am

LOT767301ER

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:36 am

Many airports also offer their direct routes too.

I dont think many airports do that, most just show non-stops.

jmmadrid

Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 am

Overall a nice tool to play with, but there are some mistakes. AEROPOSTAL, for example, does not fly a 10% of the routes the page shows. CONVIASA flies to Santa Cruz, Bolivia, but the map shows La Paz instead. AIR EUROPA does not fly to Shanghai with a stop at Xian...

MIflyer12

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:26 am

FlightsFrom isn't specific about its data sources. It doesn't cite a date range (necessary for seasonal flights). The first airport pair I tested I found an error. Maybe it works reliably with other carriers in other regions but I'll dismiss this as not commercially ready for North America.

USAirKid

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:30 am

burchfiel wrote:

I've also been disappointed to see that a number of airlines (e.g. WN, AA, AF and now UA for domestic) don't even show routes on their airline magazine route maps—just destination cities.

I remember back in the 1990s when US did have a route map that showed every route they flew. The northeastern US was just a blob of red and it was impossible to follow any specific route line. A few years later they switched to the destination city design, specifying if an airport was served by mainline, express, or both.

Removing the routes from the map made it somewhat useful, instead of the previous futile effort at communication, which was just a poor modern art piece.

Dominion301

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:01 pm

Very cool tool I've bookmarked it.

SteveXC500

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:06 pm

What is the context behind the city marker color?

burchfiel
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:35 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
Flightradar24 has a pretty neat functionality that shows all of the routes flown by an airline in the past seven days. I only discovered this a few weeks ago! :biggrin:
Here's an example for Etihad. Just click on "Show all routes" within the map to see all of them.

Very cool, thank you for sharing! However, it doesn't seem like the "show all routes" box comes up when I searched for United (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airl ... ual/routes ). Is this problem occurring for anyone else?

NeBaNi

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:31 am

burchfiel wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

Very cool, thank you for sharing! However, it doesn't seem like the "show all routes" box comes up when I searched for United (https://www.flightradar24.com/data/airl ... ual/routes ). Is this problem occurring for anyone else?

It should be on the top right corner of the map itself. I'm using it on my desktop browser, maybe it renders differently on tablets/mobile if you're using something like that?

leftcoast8

Fri Apr 12, 2019 2:44 am

FF shows AC44/45 YVR-DEL as a westerly route that flies over the highest peaks of the Himalayas, rather than the actual easterly route that bypasses the mountains.

burchfiel
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:29 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
burchfiel wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

It should be on the top right corner of the map itself. I'm using it on my desktop browser, maybe it renders differently on tablets/mobile if you're using something like that?

Tried it today and it now works. When I last tried it it seemed to be offering the option to view all routes for only certain airlines.

77H

Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:26 am

SteveXC500 wrote:
What is the context behind the city marker color?

That was my first question too. Perhaps its dependent on the number of routes into a given city by a specific airline?
Or perhaps it is based on the type of market?

I'm simply going out on a limb here but it appears that the green markers are reserved for hub/primary cities (ORD,DFW,ATL,LAX), blue seems to represent secondary cities (SMF,OAK,SJC,HNL,OGG) and red would seem be tertiary cities (GRB, ATW, LIH)?
I've searched for a legend and cant seem to find one.

Cool site though. Hopefully with more exposure it will be refined and become more accurate. It reminds me of the Open Flights platform which allowed for user updates but hasn't been updated in some time.

77H

nomadkj

Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:00 pm

You should have a look at FlightConnections as well: https://www.flightconnections.com/route ... irlines-aa
It's more reliable and works a lot faster :)

They also have a full directly of all airline route maps here: https://www.flightconnections.com/airlines