GatorClark
Topic Author

Painting liveries when decals unavailable on model

Tue May 07, 2019 8:38 am

Hey guys,

I'm just getting back into putting together model airplanes (commercial airliners to be exact) and my next model that I want to do is an 1/144 Revell A340-300 in BWIA West Indies paint. This aircraft I believe was never made in any scale other than 1:400 & 1:500. I've been looking around for decals for the unique green steel pan livery they had, but I was only able to find A340 decals for the white livery that one of the A340's wore. How could I go about just painting it in this livery instead of using decals? A couple hours worth of google searches really isn't yielding any results.

This is the only paint I'm finding decals for:

But this is the paint scheme I actually want to paint this model in:

As you can see, the white scheme is pretty bland and boring, while the green is far more interesting. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

atomicstar

Re: Painting liveries when decals unavailable on model

Tue May 21, 2019 4:51 am

If you have a Cricut machine, you can cut masking tape and then spray paint the blue on. However, this will may be very difficult. Maybe someone has an easier idea.

You could print an adhesive sticker, however it would be difficult with the nose and other rounded parts and it will not look as good.

FlyingColours

Re: Painting liveries when decals unavailable on model

Tue May 21, 2019 7:30 am

I know you have said you have done several hours of searching on google so this may be covered but perhaps there is a company/person on ebay who can produce transfers for you. I remember a good few years ago that Bachmann had a model train which was only available in 3 liveries at the time but one group were selling transfers of other liveries which Bachmann never had the licenses for, if they were applied correctly then voila it was a new model.

Good luck either way :)

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil