727glasair
Topic Author

SEA spotting yesterday....interesting items

Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm

Conditions: temp 70 f, wind 330 at 4 knots
Traffic was northbound.

1) the 757-300 sure looks LONG and narrow.

2) an Australian Royal Air Force C-17 Globemaster arrived, stayed about 3 hours in the cargo area of SEA, then departed. I have no idea what it was doing?

3) Prime Air is really gaining momentum...more frequent arrivals with their 762's, and Amazon keeps hiring more workers here at the old United Airlines cargo facility.

4) a 737-900, I believe Alaska 22 to Chicago, was on takeoff roll and appeared to me to be lacking speed. After about 9,000 feet of runway I observed a substantial puff of smoke exit engine #1. Then it finally rotated VERY near the north end of the runway. This was by far the longest takeoff run I have ever seen af SEA. Very odd....

727glasair
Topic Author

Re: SEA spotting yesterday....interesting items

Mon May 20, 2019 9:43 pm

Also...I have observed that the Airbus A-359 has a black outline around the exterior cockpit window assembly. Makes it look rather like a racoon....

PlanesNTrains

Mon May 20, 2019 9:44 pm

SEA is an airport that you wouldn’t want to have an overrun off the north end of the runway at.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

FriscoHeavy

Mon May 20, 2019 10:32 pm

727glasair wrote:
Traffic was northbound.

2) an Australian Royal Air Force C-17 Globemaster arrived, stayed about 3 hours in the cargo area of SEA, then departed. I have no idea what it was doing?

3) Prime Air is really gaining momentum...more frequent arrivals with their 762's, and Amazon keeps hiring more workers here at the old United Airlines cargo facility.

4) a 737-900, I believe Alaska 22 to Chicago, was on takeoff roll and appeared to me to be lacking speed. After about 9,000 feet of runway I observed a substantial puff of smoke exit engine #1. Then it finally rotated VERY near the north end of the runway. This was by far the longest takeoff run I have ever seen af SEA. Very odd....

Regarding #4: De-rated takeoff on a plane that has a pretty high rotation speed. Again, done on purpose (de-rate) save on engine wear and tear. Nothing going on there.
Whatever

DFW17L

Mon May 20, 2019 11:45 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
SEA is an airport that you wouldn’t want to have an overrun off the north end of the runway at.

Going down...https://images.app.goo.gl/cdnFDXkUJSDm8TXQ9

That’s 45 meters in height.

gunsontheroof

Tue May 21, 2019 12:28 am

DFW17L wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:

Going down...https://images.app.goo.gl/cdnFDXkUJSDm8TXQ9

That’s 45 meters in height.

Yeah, but there's a pretty fair amount of soft ground from the threshold to the retaining wall. It would have to be one hell of an overrun for an aircraft not to be stopped by the dirt/approach lighting. Certainly not something we ever want to see regardless.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue May 21, 2019 12:57 am

727glasair wrote:
Traffic was northbound.

There has been a good amount of larger airplanes that have visited. IL-76 landed today(Monday) from IAH and is heading to ANC, presumably back to Russia. I was also at the airport yesterday as well and managed to snag Condor retro as it was on final approach in Des Moines.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

727glasair
Topic Author

Tue May 21, 2019 2:38 am

Hi DennyPayne,
No, there have not been a whole lot of A-350 series in SEA....and I just have not kept track of the type. Delta has one daily PEK to LAX, and I hope to fly on it soon......cheers!...

Gemuser

Tue May 21, 2019 7:01 am

727glasair wrote:
Traffic was northbound.

Not to be overly picky but that is Royal Australian Air Force. The way you put it makes it sound like a detatchment from the Royal Air Force (UK) in Australia, which there has not been for some decades, AFAIK.

If I had to guess the cargo I'd say it spares/consumbales from the SEA area for the Boeing aircraft they operate, a total of 111 aircraft [counting the F18 & varients]

Gemuser