SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Pan Am: History, Design & Identity (book) feed back?

Fri May 24, 2019 2:54 pm

Do any of you have acquired this book or plan to do? What are your feed-backs on it?

https://www.callisto-publishers.com/pro ... d-edition/

WA707atMSP

Re: Pan Am: History, Design & Identity (book) feed back?

Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:17 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Do any of you have acquired this book or plan to do? What are your feed-backs on it?

https://www.callisto-publishers.com/pro ... d-edition/

Spaceship, I apologize for not responding to your message sooner, but I don't check the Aviation Hobby forum as often as I should.

I purchased this book when it came out, and I very highly recommend it.

Although there have been many books written about Pan Am, this book has the most complete pictorial history of the airline I've ever seen. The book starts with Pan Am's first flight from Key West to Havana, then follows the airline's growth and eventual decline. It's biggest strength is a large collection of artwork, brochures, timetables, menus, advertising, and posters issued by Pan Am throughout its history, including many rare images that have not appeared in print before. Most of the images appear in full color. The quality of the image reproduction in the book is exceptional.

One of the book's target audiences is graphic designers, so the book pays special attention to how Pan Am's branding evolved throughout its history, and clearly explains why the airline chose the elements in each of its branding / design campaigns. Instead of just showing one image from an advertising campaign, the author often includes five or six different ads from the campaign, so you can see how key design elements were kept consistent throughout the campaign.

Each chapter begins with two or three pages of historical information, about what issues Pan Am was concerned with at different points in time, so readers can understand why Pan Am chose to emphasize certain things in its promotional campaigns.

The book also includes a large chapter showing how the graphic designs of Inter Continental Hotels evolved throughout Pan Am's ownership of the hotel chain.

This book is more than 400 pages long, and I found something interesting on almost every single page. You will NOT regret buying it!

SpaceshipDC10
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:52 am

Thanks for your detailed feed back.

WA707atMSP

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:14 am

SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
Thanks for your detailed feed back.

Not a problem.

I enjoyed this book so much that I purchased the author's two other transportation design books: Airline Visual Identity and Canadian Pacific. Airline Visual Identity has chapters about several airlines (American, Braniff, United, TWA, Swissair, Aeroflot, JAL, etc). Canadian Pacific covers the Canadian Pacific railroad, as well as its steamship, hotel, and airline operations. Both of these books have a similar format to the Pan Am book, are equally large, and just as interesting.

I hope M C Huhne will do more books about airlines or railroads.