Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

RJA320

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator coming to PC and Xbox

Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:18 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
A quick heads up to our UK users, if you ordered it via Steam it will not become available until 4AM UTC, if you ordered via the Microsoft Store you can get it from Midnight. Frankly I think that is appalling, I bought it on Steam last night and was ready to start the long download from Midnight but probably won't be able to get on it until late tomorrow now :(

Phil
FlyingColours

You can cancel it on Steam, get a full refund and re-order on the official platform. I've downloaded it on Xbox Game Pass to see how it runs on my pc, should do ok as it meets the recommended requirements.

FlyingColours

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:45 am

Yes that was possible for most but since it could take up to 14 days for the refund to go through it wasn't an option for me as currently very tight on funds (Payday isn't until the end of next week and I have to pay for a new kitchen window tomorrow).

It turns out that the reason for the delay was that Steam does not have the ability to do a rolling release so Western Europe & The UK got lumped in with the East Coast of the USA, something worth bearing in mind whenever buying a pre-order from Steam in future.

It's been downloading for nearly 5 hours now and only at 30GB out of 91GB, I may get it ready to go tomorrow :(

Phil
FlyingColours

BlueberryWheats

Tue Aug 18, 2020 12:06 pm

I started the download this morning (7am UK time)before leaving for work. I'm downloading from the Xbox store using Game Pass. Took about an hour to get to 60gb. Should be done by the time I get home.

Aesma

Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Glad to see a couple of Robins in the base version, I wonder if I have to thank the French studio who made the game for it, as these planes are ubiquitous here.

I don't see how anything from FSX could run on this, what might happen is that the company making your Boeing 737 (example) add-on might offer you to upgrade to the new one made for this game for a reduced price.

dennypayne wrote:
RetroRoo wrote:
Anyone good at translating system equivalency between PC and Mac?

I'm running a Mac Mini with Windows 10 through Bootcamp. I'm trying to learn where my system fits with the requirements. These are my specs:

I can't imagine that equivalency of hardware specs matters here, since you'd be running the game in an emulated environment which would cause a lot of overhead that wouldn't be there on a native Windows box. A graphics and CPU intensive application is not likely to run well at all on a virtual machine, regardless of the specs of the host system.

Bootcamp isn't emulation, his Mac Mini is x86 PC hardware so with bootcamp you install and run a regular windows, bare metal.

However the Mac Mini doesn't have a discrete graphics card so it will probably not launch the game, or if it does you'll get 1 image per minute or something like that.

einsteinboricua

Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:56 pm

So...third party add-ons. Will they be available (to the tune of POSKY and others) or will they be payware and severely restricted? That will get the ball rolling on whether I want to invest in a brand new gaming computer or not.

RetroRoo

Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 pm

An update on running the sim on my Mac Mini via Bootcamp. The sim definitely runs, and I can fly on the most basic settings adequately, but as others guessed: it’s a choppy experience. I’ll definitely be looking to build a PC to run it specifically. Thanks all for the input.

BlueberryWheats

Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:22 pm

I've had it installed for a few hours now and I have mixed feelings. My machine can run it on medium settings (those were the settings it automatically set based on my specs), but so far I've only managed a 20min flight in a C152. It's seeming to be rather buggy and I have countless crash to desktop situations, usually when I've picked my plane, weather, location etc and start loading the flight.

But I can confirm, even on medium, it looks magnificent compared to FSX. Not only did I see my house after following the accurately modelled roads in a VFR flight, but I even saw my car parked out front on the Bing satellite imagery used.

426Shadow

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:15 am

The sim recommended high settings but runs like crap at high and doesn't run well either at medium. I even took it down to low and it's still not smooth and consistent.

RJA320

Wed Aug 19, 2020 7:59 am

Mine also recommended medium but the performance is poor, no sure if it's down to the pc because Ive run an MSI test and both CPU and GPU are only at 16% usage, giving me a measly 20fps.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:04 am

426Shadow wrote:
The sim recommended high settings but runs like crap at high and doesn't run well either at medium. I even took it down to low and it's still not smooth and consistent.

It does require internet to stream the scenery. Have you tried switching to offline? Maybe there's a problem with your connection.

Aesma

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:31 am

It would be fun if there was a way to improve the scenery (add 3D models to 2D sat images, notably) directly on their cloud. That way people could improve some place they like or where they're living, improving the game incrementally.

fanofjets

Wed Aug 19, 2020 3:37 pm

From a New York Times editorial writer: "I Tried Microsoft’s Flight Simulator. The Earth Never Seemed So Real."
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/19/opin ... lator.html

jetmatt777

Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:02 pm

So I was going to wait to download it when I have the money to buy some new hardware, but I think I am going to download it tonight and see if it will run on my potato gaming PC. It was a middle of the road, off the shelf PC 3 years ago. So now, it falls in the lower tier of gaming hardware. The only thing I have upgraded is the RAM.

Ryzen 5 1400
radeon RX 580 4 GB video card.
40 GB DDR2 ram

I think I am going to upgrade to the Ryzen 7 3700 processor and RX5600 XT video card. But will be a month or two, need to conserve some cash.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:19 pm

RJA320 wrote:
Mine also recommended medium but the performance is poor, no sure if it's down to the pc because Ive run an MSI test and both CPU and GPU are only at 16% usage, giving me a measly 20fps.

I can run it on medium at an acceptable level, but getting it running is the hard part. I'm getting so many crash to desktops when trying to start the sim up and create a flight.

Once I've got it running it's great, I even tested using some dramatic weather themes. But also, I have only managed get flying with the C152, anything else has crashed on loading.

I feel like there's some major patches needed to resolve some of these issues that I'm experiencing, and after Googling, many others are too.

avi8

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:29 am

Does anyone have any information on real AI traffic with real aircraft and liveries? Is it being developed? I can´t seem to find a proper answer anywhere. I know flightradar is in the sim but it assigns random aircraft and liveries to it.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:55 am

Okay, so initial reaction. My computer runs it quite well on Medium settings, which I am pretty pleased with the detail at that setting. So good news I don't need to upgrade anything right away.

I think the view controls are frustrating.Almost to the point where it makes me mad. Doesn't seem like I can get it to stay "looking" where I want. I enjoyed the old FS ways to manipulate the views.

Scenery is very nice, given what we are all coming from. Could use improvements but nothing that is a deal breaker for me. I don't know if it is a bug but it seems like every airport has green centerline taxiway lighting which is not really the case in real life, usually only the very large airports have it. Also, taxiway edge lights seem to populate randomly in the middle of taxiways and runways.

Love the weather rendering as well as the lighting. It feels very lifelike. However I noticed the live weather doesn't seem to work too well for me. It worked in a few random areas I tried, but for some reason in Denver and Colorado Springs (where I live) the live weather was showing perfectly clear skies, despite my garage nearly flooding in real life due to some very intense thunderstorms. So clearly it was missing something there.

The controls and mainly view controls are killing me. I literally had to turn it off because I couldn't consistently control the views despite setting up commands for my joystick. I might need to have a few beers next time I turn it on to figure out how to work the views.

I also was not a fan of the ATC system, not that I ever use it anyway. I always fly on VATSIM (or at least I did when I used to flight sim).

All in all a very different flight sim experience, it was fun to fly around some areas that I am familiar with. I used to live in Oregon and have some sentimental attachment to the PNW, so it was cool to fly around and bring back some warm feelings seeing places that carry special meanings for me. I hope some bugs can get ironed out and I can learn how to use the camera system because right now I just can't figure that part out.

jetmatt777

Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:58 am

avi8 wrote:
Does anyone have any information on real AI traffic with real aircraft and liveries? Is it being developed? I can´t seem to find a proper answer anywhere. I know flightradar is in the sim but it assigns random aircraft and liveries to it.

I saw a United Airlines new livery aircraft, possibly a 737 or Airbus at PDX (I was too far away to tell for sure and trying to land). The rest seemed to be made-up liveries.

mentaisupa

Fri Aug 21, 2020 5:18 am

I believe real liveries are coming, but have not heard of any mention of livery and aircraft matching with live traffic.

nighthawk

Fri Aug 21, 2020 3:25 pm

I thought i'd just share a few overall thoughts too...

Overall its a great new sim, and will give a fantastic base to build on in years to come. The aircraft handling, particularly in smaller aircraft is a lot more realistic.. especially in turbulent conditions. Aircraft bounce around at the best of times, even more so in turbulence... at times you feel like you're about to flip over! Stalling feels more realistic too. The handling characteristics feel a bit less noticeable in the larger jets though, as they ride the bumps easier.

Visually... its a massive improvement over previous sims and their default scenery. I moved from P3d v4.5 with Orbx TrueEarth UK.. and I'd say visually OrbX is still far better (especially for the buildings), but then that's a hand created scenery covering a small area. When you think that base level of detail covers most of the planet, then its more impressive. There's still room for improvement with addons such as OrbX TrueEarth products.. but it effectively kills off most mesh scenery.

A couple of things i did find really annoying though, is that ATC doesnt seem to read out all messages. Sometimes I'd be flying along happily, and would hear "CALLSIGN, Did you copy?". On opening the ATC window I'd see a few messages in there that hadn't been read out. There seems to be a bug there.

Another annoyance is that scrolling the mousewheel zooms out in the cockpit, but also adjusts knobs on the control panel. Quite a few times i'd be adjusting the heading on the autopilot, would hit a slight bump and suddenly the mouse curser moves off the knob, and you're zooming out instead. Very frustrating.

Anyway - as I said, a great base that will be built upon for years to come, the default scenery is pretty spectacular and will be more than enough for most, but isnt quite as good as what can be achieved through OrbX TrueEarth products, so there's still room for addon scenery developers to enhance the sim.

FlyingColours

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:19 pm

I believe the ATC issue is down to server load, apparently it could take a couple of days for them to adjust to the new much much higher load. I had a few issues with it myself over the past few days but today flew from Opa-locka to Orlando Executive and didn't have any ATC problems though I did have one "did you copy" but that was down to me not paying attention and having a discussion in the real world ;)

I hear ya on the scroll wheel though, bloomin' nuisance that ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

Tugger

Fri Aug 21, 2020 4:51 pm

Apparently people are having fun with a fun typo/error in FS2020:
Melbourne Australia's newest landmark building!
https://www.engadget.com/flight-simulator-212-story-tower-morning-after-112701768.html

Decent story on the glitch and video of players having fun with it.
https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/21/2139 ... ata-glitch
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhrGEdO88kE

Tugg

phatfarmlines

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:24 pm

FlyingColours wrote:
I believe the ATC issue is down to server load, apparently it could take a couple of days for them to adjust to the new much much higher load. I had a few issues with it myself over the past few days but today flew from Opa-locka to Orlando Executive and didn't have any ATC problems though I did have one "did you copy" but that was down to me not paying attention and having a discussion in the real world ;)

I hear ya on the scroll wheel though, bloomin' nuisance that ;)

Phil
FlyingColours

Did ATC give you airspeed assignments during takeoff/approach? How did that work with separation of AI traffic?

FlyingColours

Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:31 pm

No they did not, though to be fair I have only been flying VFR at the moment.

I did notice a complete lack of any AI traffic today on both my flights (Opa-Locka to Orlando Exec and then onward to Montgomery). There were two A320s on the ground in Alabama but they weren't moving when I arrived.

Phil
FlyingColours

RJA320

Sat Aug 22, 2020 10:35 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
I think the view controls are frustrating.Almost to the point where it makes me mad. Doesn't seem like I can get it to stay "looking" where I want. I enjoyed the old FS ways to manipulate the views.

For me this is the biggest gripe. I loved the old spot view in FSX where it just fixed on one spot without moving, even when your aircraft banked left or right. The external view on this sim is really bad, almost like a video game view.

mentaisupa

Sat Aug 22, 2020 4:30 pm

I was able to jerry rig a TrackIR implementation using my iPhone and opentrack. Having something like this has improved the game a ton for me. Next up would probably be upgrading my PC.

jetmatt777

Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:24 pm

RJA320 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

For me this is the biggest gripe. I loved the old spot view in FSX where it just fixed on one spot without moving, even when your aircraft banked left or right. The external view on this sim is really bad, almost like a video game view.

I don't really care much for the external view controls, I spend most of my time in the cockpit. I was somewhat okay with the externals. The cockpit views are terrible. I was flying a base leg and trying to watch the runway out my left window so I could decide when to turn final, and it took too much effort trying to get the camera view to stay looking that direction. Very frustrating.

nighthawk

Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:58 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
RJA320 wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:

I don't really care much for the external view controls, I spend most of my time in the cockpit. I was somewhat okay with the externals. The cockpit views are terrible. I was flying a base leg and trying to watch the runway out my left window so I could decide when to turn final, and it took too much effort trying to get the camera view to stay looking that direction. Very frustrating.

Right click and move the mouse till you have the view you want. once happy, release the mouse button, and it should stay there.

Alternatively you can set preset views somehow... it did tell me how to when i first started, but I didnt listen. Possibly CTRL+SHIFT+ NUMBER. Then just press CTRL+NUMBER to access the preset.

mentaisupa

Mon Aug 24, 2020 10:00 pm

I've been able to improve flying visually by putting together a TrackIR-like implementation. With a little configuration, it's made things quite a bit easier.

One can obviously shell out for TrackIR, but there also exists solutions that either use webcams or the TrueDepth camera on recent iOS devices for head tracking. I hacked together a barebones app running on my iPhone 11 Pro that then sends the data to opentrack running on the PC, and it works surprisingly well.

aussieben

Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:54 am

I've downloaded it - and I also have mixed feelings. First up I currently have a boxed version of FSX, I fly for fun - not to be incredibly authentic. I have added freeware aircraft and scenery. I find the default and most freeware add-on aircraft are easy to get going and the autopilots are easy to use. The views are very intuitive and the handy option of switching between NAV and GPS modes really great - it's easy and no fuss. Plus there is the option to increase the simulation rate (up to 16x speed on autopilot) to complete most flights in a short timeframe. usually only using the higher sim rate during cruise. I don't mind manual flying as well - most aircraft seem to be easy to fly manually - except for the default A321 - which seems to have extraordinary pitch up and down fluctuations - no matter how gentle I am with the controls.

I realise that experience is not realistic - but it does the job. The pros and cons of FS-2020 for me:

Pros:
* Amazingly realistic scenery / weather
* Realistic systems and checklists cold and dark startup and replication of everything seems authentic
* default ground handling options are much more realistic.

Cons
* The autopilots of the airliners may well be more realistic - but they're incredibly hard to master. In the A320-NEO its very hard to get it to follow the climb, speed and stay at the altitude you want. I have followed several youtube tutorials and I'm gradually getting the hang of it but it's slow-going. I can reasonably take off and climb now - and descend. However have to do manual approaches - I can't seem to lookup any ILS frequencies - Although these may already be in the FMC. Bear in mind I'm used to switching from GPS to NAV mode in FSX after cruise - and looking up the airport frequencies in the map function. You can't do that in FS 2020.
* There seems to be no way to increase the sim rate (i.e. get up to the usual 16x speed during cruise - to complete long haul flights) it does say the simulation rate button is the 'R' key on the keyboard - but that seems to do nothing. There doesn't seem to be any youtube tutorials that cover this.
* The menu options are limited and the camera views are very hard to get used to. Also the keyboard assignments are very hard to get your head around. Some follow the older versions whereas others are completely different and/or don't seem to work.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what may improve my experience? I'm prepared to remap the keyboard assignments but that could take a while.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Aug 27, 2020 11:10 am

I'd like an option to select a keyboard layout more in line with classic FSX key commands.

aussieben

Tue Sep 01, 2020 10:00 am

OK - There still seems to be some glitches/bugs but I'm finally mastering the autopilot and have done a few successful ILS landings - after programming the arrival runway/approach into the FMC at the start or in the NAVLOG - so that part is OK.

Have also mapped the simrate increases or decreases - but that is still problematic - as it won't display what sim rate you're at and at the highest simrate will make the aircraft look like it's on a rollercoaster ride in cruise.

I'm also getting used to the camera views - but they're not hugely intuitive.

So the trade offs for me are you get fantastic almost photo-real scenery and a somewhat authentic flight experience, but have to deal with a glitchy autopilot. I'm also trying to restrict myself to short hour-long journeys as there's not benefit out of increasing the sim rate during cruise.

I may try and split my time between FS 2020 and FSX. Do short haul flying in FS2020 and long/ultra longhaul in FSX (with workable sim rate increases). Then again maybe I'm really impatient and should do every flight in real time - just like real life :)

I'm so used to the easy way to use FSX - it's like an old friend. However the realism downgrade is real, after using FS2020.

dfwjim1

Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:41 pm

Trying to find MS 2020 on the Steam website but no luck. Is it there?

Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:04 pm

aussieben wrote:
I've downloaded it - and I also have mixed feelings. First up I currently have a boxed version of FSX, I fly for fun - not to be incredibly authentic. I have added freeware aircraft and scenery. I find the default and most freeware add-on aircraft are easy to get going and the autopilots are easy to use. The views are very intuitive and the handy option of switching between NAV and GPS modes really great - it's easy and no fuss. Plus there is the option to increase the simulation rate (up to 16x speed on autopilot) to complete most flights in a short timeframe. usually only using the higher sim rate during cruise. I don't mind manual flying as well - most aircraft seem to be easy to fly manually - except for the default A321 - which seems to have extraordinary pitch up and down fluctuations - no matter how gentle I am with the controls.

I realise that experience is not realistic - but it does the job. The pros and cons of FS-2020 for me:

Pros:
* Amazingly realistic scenery / weather
* Realistic systems and checklists cold and dark startup and replication of everything seems authentic
* default ground handling options are much more realistic.

Cons
* The autopilots of the airliners may well be more realistic - but they're incredibly hard to master. In the A320-NEO its very hard to get it to follow the climb, speed and stay at the altitude you want. I have followed several youtube tutorials and I'm gradually getting the hang of it but it's slow-going. I can reasonably take off and climb now - and descend. However have to do manual approaches - I can't seem to lookup any ILS frequencies - Although these may already be in the FMC. Bear in mind I'm used to switching from GPS to NAV mode in FSX after cruise - and looking up the airport frequencies in the map function. You can't do that in FS 2020.
* There seems to be no way to increase the sim rate (i.e. get up to the usual 16x speed during cruise - to complete long haul flights) it does say the simulation rate button is the 'R' key on the keyboard - but that seems to do nothing. There doesn't seem to be any youtube tutorials that cover this.
* The menu options are limited and the camera views are very hard to get used to. Also the keyboard assignments are very hard to get your head around. Some follow the older versions whereas others are completely different and/or don't seem to work.

Can anyone give me any advice as to what may improve my experience? I'm prepared to remap the keyboard assignments but that could take a while.

So how different is a default airliner in Flight compared to say a PMDG 777 or 747 in FSX?

With that 777 I have no problems getting it to fly predictably on the autopilot, it’s pretty logical and simple (thanks to Boeing how they did the real thing). Only putting in arbitrary fixes/waypoints into the FMC using confuses me because I don’t do that all the time.

I don’t have a computer capable of running Flight so it will be a while before I get it, if at all.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:38 am

dfwjim1 wrote:

Try typing Microsoft Flight Simulator

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250 ... Simulator/

dfwjim1

Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:56 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
dfwjim1 wrote:

Try typing Microsoft Flight Simulator

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1250 ... Simulator/

Found it - thanks!

Doering

Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:00 pm

Have had a good go at the new Flight Simulator and the scenery is fantastic. Default aircraft still not study level, but better aircraft are in the pipeline. The ability to explore the entire world is mind boggling. Just posted my first video using the new platform - Dangerous Landings- Lukla, Nepal. This is a short 15 minute VFR flight into Tenzing Hillary airport in the TBM 930. Lots of fun!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C-KQ7XDDog&t=7s

dtw2hyd

Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:33 pm

Any news on FS2020 availability on Xbox Series X/S.

dtw2hyd

Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:33 pm

FYI: Microsoft is running a 20% discount on Deluxe/Premium for GamePass subscribers and trial members.

aussieben

Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:39 am

I have gradually become used to the A320 NEO and the logic of the autopilot and auto throttle systems (they possibly may have actually improved since the last patch).

However the patch also shuts down engine one in error once you turn the APU off after start up. So now have to leave the APU on for the whole flight - rather than follow the after start checklist. They presumably will fix this in future patch.

I've never used the PMDG aircraft in FSX. However I'm finding the 747-8 and 787 in FS2020 a bit hard to master. The FLCH mode on their autopilots seem to put both aircraft into incredible nose up pitches and stall situations. I'm finding I have rollercoaster climbs to cruising altitude with lots of manual intervention required. It possibly may be because I have the aircraft badly trimmed out before I engage the autopilot.

I find the A320 easier to fly - but that may be because I'm more used to it now. When I first started using it I was having similar rollercoaster climb profiles.

I'm starting to be confident in being able to land. The landing assistance feature is handy if you're starting out - although not realistic - so now I've turned it off.

There are still some glitches with the overall sim. It is slow to load although seems to be quicker after the patch. Although the patch also seems to have limited the external view options which is annoying. Presumably these issues will be addressed over time.

The trade-off is the realistic scenery - which is stunning. However I still find FSX a more stable and sharper platform to use (I never thought I would say that of FSX) However it's much more intuitive to operate.

I also have boxed version of X-plane 11 - although never installed or used it yet - one of those things I may get around to one day.

So I can only compare FS2020 to FSX. If they changed FS2020 to better incorporate FSX functionality - it would be the perfect sim. They could do the following:
* Map the keyboard assignment exactly the same. So you can easily use both sims without needing to re-think everything
* Get rid of active pause. If you press the P key, it should just pause the sim - and show that on the screen - like it always has in previous versions.
* Have a proper menu functionality. Rather than a menu you have to scroll over at the top of screen. You should just be able to press the alt key and all the options that are in FSX be available. Instead the Nav log and map functions are totally useless compared to FSX.
* Have easy ability to increase sim rates during climb and cruise (to easily and relatively quickly complete long haul flights (in FSX it allows 16x sim rate to be used with autopilot - you can do a transatlantic crossing in a few hours) I know FS2020 has sim rate change functionality, but as per my previous post, it doesn't display what sim rate you've selected in the corner of the screen (same issue with active pause) The sim rate change also doesn't work as effectively.

If they change all this - I could maximise my experience of FS2020. At the moment though, I'm still splitting my time between both sims. FSX is a 14 year old sim in it's original release. However it has has a lot of better features and functionality to a brand new sim, despite the less-realistic scenery.

BlueberryWheats

Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:37 am

I agree with the 747 autopilot. At the mo I avoid using the 747 because the autopilot is just an absolute dumpster fire, it seems to be impossible to handle a simple climb or descent without the roller coaster experience. The A320 is usable though, I used it for a couple of TATL trips instead of the 747.

I'm finding the ATC to be a pain when it comes to approach to your destination. It's like it starts to vector you in but then seems to forget you're there and leaves you on a heading flying off into nowhere. This happens more when I request a change to my assigned approach, but does also happen if I just accept the given approach. I've experience it with both instrument and visual approaches.

Is anyone experiencing the bugs with the A320 PFD going blank on the captain side, and the inability to change controller sensitivity settings?

dfwjim1

Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:44 pm

Hi all,

I just received MS 2020 FS as a surprise birthday present from my wife that she purchased through Amazon. I was able to install it on my laptop but when I try to run I get a message that the laptop does not meet the minimum requirements. As it turns out my laptop has only half of the minimum RAM required (8 GB); I am not sure how much VRAM it has. I tried to install FS on another laptop of mine that does have 8GB but received a message "Product Key" has been used so is there a way that I can use the Product Key on this laptop?

I suppose the laptop that has FS installed can be upgraded but I am a little hesitant to do so since the laptop is a bit old. Thanks for any suggestions!

avi8

Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:03 pm

Still no news on how AI traffic will work on flight sim 2020? I know it’s being worked on but I would’ve thought that rumors and/or announcements would be out by now.

JBo

Thu Oct 01, 2020 6:52 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
Hi all,

I just received MS 2020 FS as a surprise birthday present from my wife that she purchased through Amazon. I was able to install it on my laptop but when I try to run I get a message that the laptop does not meet the minimum requirements. As it turns out my laptop has only half of the minimum RAM required (8 GB); I am not sure how much VRAM it has. I tried to install FS on another laptop of mine that does have 8GB but received a message "Product Key" has been used so is there a way that I can use the Product Key on this laptop?

I suppose the laptop that has FS installed can be upgraded but I am a little hesitant to do so since the laptop is a bit old. Thanks for any suggestions!

Make sure you fully uninstall it from your first laptop and use a reputable registry cleaner like CCleaner to flush any lingering registry keys to fully deactivate the product key from your first computer.

XAMTO

Tue Oct 06, 2020 2:06 pm

I seriously wish I held off on buying an Xbox a few months ago. From what it sounds MSFS won't be supported on the Xbox One S at all. At least I get paid three times in December so I can buy the Series X.

phatfarmlines

Sat Oct 10, 2020 1:31 am

avi8 wrote:
Still no news on how AI traffic will work on flight sim 2020? I know it’s being worked on but I would’ve thought that rumors and/or announcements would be out by now.

I've seen some Youtube videos of the default AI traffic at work. The AI aircraft flight dynamics remind me of FS2002, such as the planes lifting the nose and the main gears up at the same time, resulting in a flat takeoff, only to angle again to resemble a proper takeoff.

I still need to see more of the default ATC interaction. ATC now gives speed limit instructions below 10K, but I haven't seen much beyond that.

Along the lines of new AI features, you can have AI fly your own aircraft. This one needs some work, as it was a hit or miss on standard takeoffs and landings, but it does have trouble with complex "Kai Tak" style curved landings such as Paro, Bhutan in the example video.

Rating Various Ai Landings in Microsoft Flight Simulator - How Competent is The Ai of FS2020?

Source: Youtube user Guoto

elbandgeek

Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:42 pm

The new update released yesterday was a big one. VR mode is available now and they've done a ton of fixing on performance as well as autopilot. Still not perfect but I managed to actually land a 787 finally.

Also, it was announced the console release is coming next summer. Not official yet but it looks like the Xbox One version is being scrapped in favor of a Series X|S exclusive. PC version will get DirectX12 support at the same time.

BlueberryWheats

Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:16 pm

Not being *too* into computers, does DX12 support equal better performance? I have a fairly hefty laptop setup thats runs FS2020 at mostly medium graphics, just wondered if that would see any improvement.

jetmatt777

Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:23 pm

I have got to say, as much as I love the new physics model, weather, and scenery. This sim is nothing short of a pain in the ass.

I don’t fly much, I have plenty of other things to keep me occupied. But every time I get an itch to fire up the sim, a huge update is required to be installed. like 20-30 GB. It is so annoying. This update has been downloading for half an hour now, and quite frankly am out of the mood now. By the time it finishes in an hour I won’t have time to fly.

Just a monumental waste of time just to get started.