Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

packcheer
Topic Author

Microsoft Flight Simulator coming to PC and Xbox

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:58 pm

Last edited by SQ22 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

TheFlyingDisk

Re: New Flight Sim 2020

Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:26 pm

packcheer wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReDDgFfWlS4

those graphics....

While I'm super stoked to see Microsoft returning to the Flight Sim community, I need to temper my excitement until the real deal is out. Too many times the trailer of a game flattered to deceive, so...

But if the graphics truly are that beautiful, I'm just gobsmacked!

426Shadow

Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:10 am

I'm going to hold any optimism due to the fact that I have a feeling they may go for the PAY to PLAY dlc money grab method. They tried it with MS Flight and failed. I hope they learned their lesson.

1g

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:14 am

426Shadow wrote:
I'm going to hold any optimism due to the fact that I have a feeling they may go for the PAY to PLAY dlc money grab method. They tried it with MS Flight and failed. I hope they learned their lesson.

Microsoft has really turned around the past few years. Microsoft today is very different from the Microsoft in 2011-2012. Today they're an extremely innovative company and not everything revolves around their Windows OS. They're almost becoming the 'cool' company among the tech giants such as Google and Apple.

I'm pretty optimistic about Flight Simulator 2020. Although we don't know that much about the game (Other than it being very pretty), I think they're really trying to deliver what the flight sim community wants, it really looks like they're going back to their roots. Of course time will tell us what kind of simulator Flight Simulator 2020 turns out to be.

EA CO AS

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:10 am

If past performance is any indicator, there isn’t an off the shelf system in existence today that can run this new MSFS at max settings. Welcome to the world of single digit FPS.

aviationaware

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:15 am

Looks absolutely spectacular, and with 3D satellite data and models like they are used in Google Maps (just higher resolution of course) this should be possible to achieve in the base game not just in select locales but worldwide.

The question will be:
1) What kind of hardware will this require? The fact that it's also for Xbox indicates that it won't be incredibly hardware hungry, but let's see what they do before getting excited.
2) What will be included in the base game and what will be paid DLCs? That could make or break the game.
3) Will the architecture be as open for third party software as FSX was?
4) Considering this is developed for Xbox and casual gamers, not people very interested in a high detail simulation, let's hope they did not put in some arcade physics, or if they did, only as an option.

That being said, anything they do is overdelivering on expectations at this point. I had thought that franchise dead, so hats off to Microsoft for surprising me here. Microsoft under Satya Nadella has really become a top notch company.

BirdBrain

Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:38 pm

I am really excited. The reality hopefully is closer to the demo shown. I won't be holding my breath though. MS has a long history of falling short on released product features. MS, please prove me wrong. Should I apply for a mortgage for the hardware now? :fight:

akb88

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Looks like I'll be having an excuse to upgrade my 1080Ti graphics card to whatever will be the most beastly at the time of release :D

787Driver

Microsoft Flight Simulator coming to Xbox

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:46 pm

I´m speechless. Graphics are out of this world

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

Will there be an official xbox joystick?

Aesma

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator coming to Xbox

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:02 pm

Nice SOCATA TBM

Cadet985

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:27 pm

This might be the most surprising news in the simulation world...ever.

Time to start saving for a new computer lol.

Marc

cranberrysaus

Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:28 pm

Really interested that it's coming to Xbox too. Wonder if it will be for the current generation or the next-gen scarlett hardware. With all the headaches in the past of flightsim performance tuning, it would be nice to be able to play it on a baseline piece of hardware that will run it consistently.

Tugger

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:09 pm

Cadet985 wrote:
This might be the most surprising news in the simulation world...ever.

Time to start saving for a new computer lol.

Marc

I posted in the other thread but MS has also updated Win10 to allow for XBox game play via Game Pass. They have integrated Win32 so these games can work.

Tugg

zakuivcustom

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:29 pm

That's all I'll say.

Hopefully they don't canned it halfway through the project like MS Flight.

casinterest

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:45 pm

Call me when Grand Theft Anet is released :)

BlueberryWheats

Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:03 pm

This has totally burnt out my emotions chip. I'm speechless.

TWA772LR

Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:34 am

Shut up and take my money!!!

As someone who grew up in Houston, I was really excited to see Minute Maid Park and GRB in the trailer!

danj555

Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 pm

I have hope that they won't do another MS Flight. My biggest annoyance as a Mac & PS4 user is that I'll never get it unless I drop some serious doe on a PC that I would use only for this game. (Would never play this on xbox unless I could plug in a true joystick.)

VSMUT

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:48 pm

aviationaware wrote:
1) What kind of hardware will this require? The fact that it's also for Xbox indicates that it won't be incredibly hardware hungry, but let's see what they do before getting excited.
4) Considering this is developed for Xbox and casual gamers, not people very interested in a high detail simulation, let's hope they did not put in some arcade physics, or if they did, only as an option.

cranberrysaus wrote:
Really interested that it's coming to Xbox too. Wonder if it will be for the current generation or the next-gen scarlett hardware. With all the headaches in the past of flightsim performance tuning, it would be nice to be able to play it on a baseline piece of hardware that will run it consistently.

Just to be clear, Xbox is Microsofts new branding for its game division. All games for both console and PC will gone under the "Xbox" brand. Xbox isn't any indication that it will be available for the console.
They are also releasing a whole new Xbox around 2020 which is rumoured to be pretty powerful.

aviationaware

Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:08 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Xbox isn't any indication that it will be available for the console.

They explicitly said it would.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:03 am

danj555 wrote:
I have hope that they won't do another MS Flight. My biggest annoyance as a Mac & PS4 user is that I'll never get it unless I drop some serious doe on a PC that I would use only for this game. (Would never play this on xbox unless I could plug in a true joystick.)

Why don't you just use Bootcamp? I did that when I was still in the Mac camp.

VSMUT

Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:56 am

aviationaware wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
Xbox isn't any indication that it will be available for the console.

They explicitly said it would.

Never said they wouldn't.

But they are also far more vague on the Xbox release, merely saying "at a later date".

phatfarmlines

Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:49 pm

I'm now confused. Do I wait for P3Dv5 or this new MSFS? It must be on a new engine since MS sold their FS software to Lockheed.

jakubz

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:06 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
I'm now confused. Do I wait for P3Dv5 or this new MSFS? It must be on a new engine since MS sold their FS software to Lockheed.

Would it? I was under the impression that the sale to Lockheed only sold off the rights to the serious training/commercial/proffesional end-use of the code. Maybe MS included a clause in the sale that allowed them to us the old code either after some time (e.g. 10+ years) or only on the entertainment side of the market.

Just my speculation.

cranberrysaus

Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:39 am

VSMUT wrote:
aviationaware wrote:

cranberrysaus wrote:

Just to be clear, Xbox is Microsofts new branding for its game division. All games for both console and PC will gone under the "Xbox" brand. Xbox isn't any indication that it will be available for the console.
They are also releasing a whole new Xbox around 2020 which is rumoured to be pretty powerful.

The official web page explicitly lists both PC and Xbox One as platforms.

https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/micros ... -simulator

kevinkevin

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:46 pm

I am speechless. The youtube video has barely been up a week and is in the millions. Microsoft must be very happy right now. Genuinely speechless.

BWIAirport

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:12 pm

I hope developers are already planning updated versions of their aircraft so I don't have to fly an Orbit 737 for too long!
It'll be interesting to see what default jet aircraft are included. My guesses:
A220-300
A321neo
A350-900
737-8 Max
747-8 (I would be surprised to see them remove the default 747)
787-8
Phenom 500
Citation X

BlueberryWheats

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:46 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
I hope developers are already planning updated versions of their aircraft so I don't have to fly an Orbit 737 for too long!
A220-300
A321neo
A350-900
737-8 Max
787-8
Phenom 500
Citation X

While that would be amazing, I think that's a little too airliner centred. I don't see them getting rid of the Cessna and possibly Learjet.

I wonder if it'll be possible to reach space in this version? Might see something like an X-15 or shuttle. :hyper:

BWIAirport

Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:50 pm

BlueberryWheats wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:
A220-300
A321neo
A350-900
737-8 Max
787-8
Phenom 500
Citation X

While that would be amazing, I think that's a little too airliner centred. I don't see them getting rid of the Cessna and possibly Learjet.

I wonder if it'll be possible to reach space in this version? Might see something like an X-15 or shuttle. :hyper:

Right, I certainly think our favorite 172 and probably 208 will be back, along with various other models (likely DC-3, Mooney, maybe a Twin Otter, among others). I was just thinking along the lines of jet aircraft. My list is probably optimistic; my realistic guess is that only one of those three widebody models will be included.

Flyingdevil737

Wed Jun 19, 2019 11:59 pm

BWIAirport wrote:
A220-300
A321neo
A350-900
737-8 Max
787-8
Phenom 500
Citation X

If my eyes serve me correctly, I saw an A320NEO in the trailer, so probably not the 321NEO....

BWIAirport

Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:09 pm

I came across this nice review of the trailer by a pretty respected simmer, Jeff Favignano: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psZgtal ... dex=2&t=0s

If you don't have an hour to watch it, here are some key points. I underlined each different aircraft model we see:
    Not that there was much question, but the fact it's called "Microsoft Flight Simulator" alleviates any concern it'll be a gimmick like Microsoft Flight was. This is a full-blown simulator.
    The first words we see are "Real time in 4K." This trailer is (likely unedited) gameplay, not artist renderings. Next, we see "powered by Azure AI" which is a cloud computing software that will help power the over 2 petabytes of information required for the full-earth satellite imagery. He mentioned that he could envision this requiring a subscription service.
    One of the first shots we see is Chicago. Jeff mentioned the history of MSFS's relationship with Meigs field, which of course would not be included based off satellite imagery. It will be interesting to see how/if they handle it.
    Another important component of the Chicago scene is the opaque fog layer. The weather throughout this looks immaculate.
    In a shot with a Diamond DA-62, we notice two major things: PBR shadows and dynamic lighting, and animated people.
    A subsequent shot of a TBM 930 displays heat blur.
    Next we see an A320Neo at LAX. I have a few thoughts on this, some of which Jeff pointed out in the video. He speculates for a couple reasons this aircraft could be modeled by Aerosoft. This is due to the incorrect font used in the autopilot panel and because the registration starts with AS (although the reg of every aircraft shown did as well).
    The scenery at LAX looks impeccable, like a high-quality payware addon. If you can remember, FSX picked a handful of airports to really focus on and enhance, while leaving the rest pretty generic aside from the layout and that may be the case again here. Hard to say yet.
    Animated ground vehicles and people. He mentioned there could be a built-in GSX-style system with these. If the speculation is correct that Aerosoft is involved, it could be based on their similar AES.
    The runway textures look worn and scratchy.
    There was a pretty impressive light splash from the aircraft lights, a luxury that you could only get from high-quality payware in FSX.
    It looks like there is some nice wingflex in the takeoff footage. This would, of course, be an improvement from the current Aerosoft A320.
    Next, we see an Icon A5 in San Francisco. The green water hue is evident of the use of satellite imagery.
    We get our first shot of the ground night lighting in Dubai. It looks phenomenal. ORBX probably came closest to accomplishing this realistic look in FSX, but it's nice to know this will be built-in. Worth noting in this Dubai shot that the use of satellite imagery makes itself clear, particularly in the static boats in the water.
    The next shot is in a Robin DR400 off the coast of Marseille. We see some great-looking underwater reefs and seagulls.
    After that, we get a few shots of what appears to be the American Southwest. We can see a blue haze effect in the distant scenery. In a shot of a Bonanza G36 flying over a crater, we can tell the boulders on the ground are all 3D. This is a result of highly advanced 3D satellite imagery (play around in Google Earth and you'll see what I mean).
    Now we get a couple storm shots. In the first shot (Jeff couldn't identify it, but it looks to be Cozumel) we see the dynamic cloud movement, especially in the anvil clouds at the top of the storm cell. When the A320Neo flies through the thunderstorm, there is a very realistic flash of blinding lightning. He used the word "menacing." There are also really good-looking windshield rain effects, something that appeared in the 2D cockpit in FSX but not the VC.
    The next shot is a landing at LAX at night. The runway lights, especially the PAPIs, stand out much less against the surrounding neighborhood lighting (in FSX runway lights stood out 10 miles away). It is worth noting the terminal areas were not lit up. However, the autogen lighting at the homes and buildings looks really good.
    We see an X-Cub flying around some flamingos. It's nice to see FSX kept its relationship with the Piper Cub family.
    Remember how big a deal FSX made over their landmarks such as the Pyramids? Hi, we're back!
    In another shot of the TBM 930, this time in San Francisco, we get our first visual of the realistic flight dynamics. It appears to be getting tossed around in the wind, hitting small updrafts and downdrafts. This effect would also be on display on a shot of the A320Neo landing in what looks like either MDW or SNA.
    They show off their cityscapes in a flyover of Houston. The ground scenery again looks insane. It is clear in the shot of some of the bleachers at Minute Maid Park that some of the satellite derivation was less than perfect. Also, while the ground traffic looks great when you're flying over, it doesn't seem to handle turns or intersections too realistically.
    In a shot of Seattle, we see some nice reflection of the clouds in water. We also see a nice motion blur during an aileron roll. Some of the trees on the ground look cheaply rendered, though.
    The excitement over the fauna in FSX was pretty big. They pulled it off 1000x better here, as we see really nice-looking giraffes flying over in a Cessna 208. The trees look really nice too, something you would've needed ORBX for in FSX.
    A few shots of planes flying in formation hints at a multiplayer aspect, which I feel would be a no-brainer.
    We see a very realistically-rendered Courchevel airport (LFLJ)!
    In the last few shots, we get a really good sense that these clouds are 3D, fluid objects, and it doesn't seem like you're flying through layers of parchment paper like it did in FSX.

A few final thoughts:
Any comparison to FSX was not intended to be a dig at 13-year-old software, rather a simple comparison. I, like many, have invested hundreds or even thousands of dollars/pounds/euros into making FSX as good as it can be, and Microsoft understands they have to make a really insane program to get us to switch.
Jeff mentioned the first release will be for PC under Windows 10.
It doesn't look like there will be good reason for 3rd-party non-airport addons such as Drzewiecki Cityscapes, at least in the first few years, due to the satellite imagery. If there will be a way to update that scenery directly from Microsoft, kiss those kinds of addons goodbye.
You might need a behemoth of a computer to run this faster than 10FPS.
The release is supposed to be next year. Any issues pointed out will likely be corrected. If not, they didn't affect flight dynamics and you wouldn't even notice them above 8,000 feet.

I'm stupid excited for this.

HEYEY

Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:42 pm

I wonder how the Xbox will handle really long flights and mod compatibility

EWR762

Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:21 am

Just saw on another forum that the home page for FS was updated. There are some official details listed:

"While this is not the moment to answer every question being asked, we do want to take the opportunity to answer a few important ones:
1. We are making Microsoft Flight Simulator. Emphasis on the word SIMULATOR.
2. Designed for PC, optimized for multiplatform support (e.g. Xbox).
3. Yes. We are supporting 3rd Party Content Development and Community Content creation. We are aware of the concerns in the current eco-system and are working to address them.
4. Yes. We genuinely want to work closely with the community in the development of this title.
5. Accessibility is important to us. Whatever your abilities are, if you want to fly, we are going to do whatever we can to make that happen. Yoke and pedals, mouse and keyboard, controller, etc. No pilot should be left behind."

Looks very promising! Very excited for this new sim! And here is the link for those who would like to read more:
https://fsi.microsoftstudios.com/

EWR762

F9Animal

Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:13 pm

Wow!! I was just looking at gaming computers yesterday too. I will have to hold off now. I wonder if Microsoft is going to develop a joystick just for us airplane geeks?

AntonioMartin

Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Great but....no real airline liveries....:(

EWR762

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:24 am

AntonioMartin wrote:
Great but....no real airline liveries....:(

They will be created by the FS community once the simulator is well established. Probably too much work for MSFS to get licensing from each airline...

Btw there was a recent update on the Microsoft FSI website I posted above, with the next update coming on July 25th.

EWR762

BWIAirport

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:20 pm

A new, supposedly major, update coming from MS today regarding the new sim.

jakubz

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

BWIAirport wrote:

Any updates?

BWIAirport

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:43 pm

jakubz wrote:
BWIAirport wrote:

Any updates?

Nope, they just gave us a few dates. We should have something noteworthy this Thursday.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:05 am

Anybody here join the Insider Program?

https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider ... m-sign-up/

BWIAirport

Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:03 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Anybody here join the Insider Program?

https://www.flightsimulator.com/insider ... m-sign-up/

From my understanding, that'll start Thursday. To this point, if you try to sign up, you'll be redirected to the FAQ page (I've tried like 10 times). Come Thursday, the Insider program will be live and the Development Release Roadmap will be available.

BWIAirport

Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:18 pm

Development timeline now available to insiders. A few pictures included also show stunning voluminous clouds and grass, similar to an extremely high-quality payware addon. Additional videos confirm a few things: Airbus A320neo, native PBR, dynamic cloud movement, detailed 3D satellite imagery among others. I can't post any of those but becoming an insider is free and easy and can be done here: flightsimulator.com .
As far as the timeline goes, there was nothing too concrete. They said we'll get three media updates per month and they've begun alpha testing. In late September, they will release the "Preview Discovery Series," in which each episode a different feature will be highlighted in detail. The four they mentioned were: World, Weather, Aerodynamics, Cockpit. The first of these episodes, World, will be released early October.

BlueberryWheats

Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:41 pm

Apologies if already discussed, but I've just watched a 30-ish min preview of FS2020. It looks incredible, and the features discussed... if they pull this off it will be absolutely amazing.

The reviewer admits he was ready to go to the Microsoft preview event and then start listing problems, but instead was totally blown away.

https://youtu.be/Fj8h6yibHHc

gunsontheroof

Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:07 am

BlueberryWheats wrote:
Apologies if already discussed, but I've just watched a 30-ish min preview of FS2020. It looks incredible, and the features discussed... if they pull this off it will be absolutely amazing.

The reviewer admits he was ready to go to the Microsoft preview event and then start listing problems, but instead was totally blown away.

https://youtu.be/Fj8h6yibHHc

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'm not sure I want to spring for a new PC just for this, but I'd probably ditch PS4 for Xbox if the console version looks good...I'm not sure I'd want to do anything BUT VFR flying with those graphics. Looks very promising, thanks for sharing!

Virtual737

Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:48 pm

Sign up for the first tech alpha release closes tomorrow, with access to the build starting from next week... get in there if you haven't already.

BWIAirport

Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Can we update/correct the title of this thread to clarify that the sim will be optimized for PC, then later adapted to Xbox? Also, if you're torn between the two, it sounds like the PC will be a better investment for this game.
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the scenery will largely be streamed from the cloud. This makes the burden on your hardware much easier, but it will require strong internet connection. That being said, they will make adaptations and present options for those with weaker or less reliable connections.
From interviews at the insider event in Seattle, it sounds like the game will be a work-in-progress of sorts when it's released. We'll have the scenery, weather, fixed-wing aircraft, and ATC I believe. Later, they mentioned VR, rotorcraft, etc. I have not heard anything about air traffic, although I'm sure it will be a similar engine to FSX.

nighthawk

Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:17 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but the scenery will largely be streamed from the cloud. This makes the burden on your hardware much easier

I dont believe this is true - the data is streamed to the PC, but it is still rendered locally on the PC, so will still require a decent CPU and graphics card to render at high settings. The only difference is less storage space will be needed.

The current plan is to have 3 modes - fully online where all scenery data is streamed to the PC at the highest detail the connection and PC will support, partial offline mode where you can select a region to "pre-cache", and a fully offline mode where a basic set of scenery is downloaded and installed locally.

I had hoped that they were doing all the rendering server side, in which case all you are doing is streaming an interactive 4k / HD video, in which case PC specs would not be too important. However this doesn't seem to be the case, you are downloading terrain and scenery data which is then rendered by your PC. This will still require a decent PC to get the best graphics. Its no different to the current model, with the exception that the scenery files are stored in the cloud instead of on your local hard disk.

Virtual737

Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:58 pm

nighthawk wrote:
Its no different to the current mode

That's debatable. In the interviews they have mentioned several times that they are not "modelling" in the same way as current generation simulators. Rather, a mixture of terrain data and photographic data (presumable both ground level and aerial) are used and then the scenery is then mostly drawn procedurally. In other words they use the data to describe what a building looks like and then they create it on the fly. This is very, very different to current scenery where every single building has to be modelled individually, using 3d geometry and texture maps. A high spec GPU will almost certainly produce better results because they are also programatically creating trees, grass etc, so the GPU is still drawing polygons. The way in which they define and texture those polygons is what is a quantum leap.

The data required to do this at the best quality is massive, hence the need to stream that data in real time. The quality of your bandwidth will affect the quality of the renders and there is also a full offline mode (which still looks for superior to current sims) and the ability to cache data locally.

Another update is due tomorrow, along with the first tech alpha users being notified of their enrollment with testing due to start next week.

nighthawk

Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:36 am

All that means is the way scenery is created in the first place is different. i.e its not relying on someone to hand place every item, and its not relying on a bank of 10 pre-set textures to reproduce "farmland" or "city" etc but instead using real satellite images.

All of that data is still passed to the client, and needs to be rendered as polygons by the graphics card.

Subwayfan1998

Re: Microsoft Flight Simulator coming to PC and Xbox

Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:47 pm

I'm very Amazed by this Ultra-Realistic Graphics on the New Game whichh is Awesome. I would love to see 747-8i to be featured in a new game because i enjoyed flying a 747-400 aircraft on FSX.