jacoblaurie04
Topic Author

Airband Radios

Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:57 pm

I have recently bought a sky scanner so I could listen to ATC in my area. I was wondering whether I had to be in the immediate vicinity of the airport to be able to hear anything on the radio or whether I could just be at home listening. Please could anyone help me out.

Thanks, Jacob

DaProf

Re: Airband Radios

Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:21 am

It really depends on how far away you are from the ATC/Tower site you are trying to listen to as well as the terrain around you. Assuming a moderately flat area, you shouldn't have too much trouble hearing the ATC/Tower if you are within say 10 miles of the site. Remember, unlike TV/FM stations with tall transmitting towers, they generally don't have their antennas up more than a few stories. Since their goal is to talk to planes either close by on the ground or up in the air they don't need to have their antennas high up. That being said you should be able to hear planes talking to the ground within 70 miles easily.

IAHFLYR

Re: Airband Radios

Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:02 pm

Actually it completely depends on where the Receiver/Transmitter (RTR) is located for the Tower/TRACON or the Remote Communications Air/Ground (RCAG) site is located for Center communications for the frequencies you want to listen. While some are in fact located around the airport many will be more centrally located for the airspace sector that utilized the frequency.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.