Iemand91
Topic Author

Collecting and feeding ADS-B data (to Flightradar24, FlightAware etc.)

Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:16 pm

So, are there any other members here doing this?

I've set up a station more then 3 years ago. It began with the most simple DVB-T stick from Ebay connected to a unused Raspberry Pi that was collecting dust.
Like this:

IMG_7382 by Iemand91, on Flickr

I started tweaking it vigorously and I ultimately ended up with the following setup that has been running unchanged and reliably for the past ~3 years.
A FlightAware antenna mounted on the top of our roof. It's connected to a 10 meter-ish piece of coaxial cable (high quality Hirschmann KOKA 9) that runs underneath the roof tiles.
Then it's connected to a very short piece of flat coax so it can run between the closed window and the window frame.
Then it connects to the FlightAware 1090MHz Band-pass filter and FlightAware Pro Stick.
The resulting reception proved to much for the old 1st gen Raspberry Pi so I had to buy a newer version (RPi 3).

The Raspberry Pi runs a PiAware image but I also feed to Flightradar24 and Planefinder.
This results in me getting premium subscriptions for free on those websites which is a huuuge benefit for the AVgeek me. :D

FlightAware Flightradar24 ADS-B by Iemand91, on Flickr
FlightAware antenna by Iemand91, on Flickr
FlightAware Flightradar24 ADS-B by Iemand91, on Flickr

I knew the short but thin piece of coax between the window and window frame would result in worse results, but from testing it and seeing my daily results, it's seems to be okay.
However today I noticed the outer mantel of the cable being broken.

I've been thinkg for a while now to place the Raspberry Pi, stick etc. in a waterproof box at the bottom of the antenna, so this stick basically connects directly to the antenna, thus removing both the low quality flat coax and the ~10 meter section of high quality coax cable.
I didn't want to do this at first because I wanted to have physical access to the Raspberry Pi, but in the last 3 years I basically never had to physically access the RPi.

But lately there seems to be lots going on with all sorts of things I never bothered with. New sticks, new filters, low noise amplifiers, FLARM (for light aircraft, gliders etc.) and more.
I have to look into that and think whether I need/do that before I move everything up on the roof.

TLDR: Are there any other feeders here? :wave:
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

citationjet

Re: Collecting and feeding ADS-B data (to Flightradar24, FlightAware etc.)

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:14 pm

I am also an ADS-B feeder.
About 2 years ago my son gave me a FlightAware pro stick and Raspberry Pi as a birthday gift. I started out with the small antenna like in your first photo, and the Pi hardwired and the small antenna sitting in a window.
I upgraded to same antenna you have and mounted it outside, placed it on a 10 ft pole with a 10 m coax cable. I mounted my Pi under the eave of the roof out of the weather and on top of my outdoors speaker, with the Pi near a window. It works wireless with my WiFi. The Pi is plugged into an outside 110 outlet, so there are no wires entering my house.
I average about 3,000 aircraft a day with it, and about 400,000 position reports daily. My user ranking is about # 3,000, and I have been running continuously for about 125 days. The Enterprise User account is an added plus.

Here is a link to my feeder page. https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/CitationJet#stats-103242
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

Iemand91
Topic Author

Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:29 pm

citationjet wrote:
I am also an ADS-B feeder.
About 2 years ago my son gave me a FlightAware pro stick and Raspberry Pi as a birthday gift. I started out with the small antenna like in your first photo, and the Pi hardwired and the small antenna sitting in a window.
I upgraded to same antenna you have and mounted it outside, placed it on a 10 ft pole with a 10 m coax cable. I mounted my Pi under the eave of the roof out of the weather and on top of my outdoors speaker, with the Pi near a window. It works wireless with my WiFi. The Pi is plugged into an outside 110 outlet, so there are no wires entering my house.
I average about 3,000 aircraft a day with it, and about 400,000 position reports daily. My user ranking is about # 3,000, and I have been running continuously for about 125 days. The Enterprise User account is an added plus.

Here is a link to my feeder page. https://flightaware.com/adsb/stats/user/CitationJet#stats-103242

That's a cool gift. :bigthumbsup:

Not having to run cables from outside to inside the house is a definite plus indeed.

The free account is indeed a big plus and I highly suggest you to feed Flightradar24 to. I especially like the (much) longer flight history the business subscription has.
Some aviation photo's on my Flickr-page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/iemand91/

citationjet

Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:05 pm

This has been a fun and rewarding hobby for a small investment. I think I have about $125 invested in the RPi, dongle, antenna and coaxial cable.
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.