Slough
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:15 pm

L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Wed Feb 19, 2020 3:08 am

Hello
I recently came across two galley inserts. Through my research I’ve come to believe they are out of an L-1011. I’m in Kansas City and therefore believe they could be TWA. They seem to match the decor of the Coach Lounge. I am looking for any additional or confirming information. I would love to find a photo or schematic to support this belief.
 
aaway
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:39 pm

Slough wrote:
Hello
I recently came across two galley inserts. Through my research I’ve come to believe they are out of an L-1011. I’m in Kansas City and therefore believe they could be TWA. They seem to match the decor of the Coach Lounge. I am looking for any additional or confirming information. I would love to find a photo or schematic to support this belief.


Asking for clarification here - when saying "galley inserts", are you referring to oven inserts (metal containers used to transport & heat inflight meals?)
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:09 pm

The coach lounge on a TWA L-1011 was aft of the galley lifts between the L2/R2 doors. There was also a galley near L3/R3 which was removed in the 80s sometime.

http://jonproctor.net/twas-tristars/

Galley inserts were typically aluminum with "TWA" stamped in them. A photo could help us.
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
Slough
Topic Author
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:15 pm

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:29 am

Sorry about that y’all I had meant to attach photos to my post. I’m a novice when it comes to forums. Here is a link to the photos of the item. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fs417a9i72ar ... J8Hia?dl=0
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:58 pm

Those galley units look like they were made in house by an airline. I assume that there was no data plate on the unit? The large compartments look to hold the meal tray carriers for a narrowbody. The fake rosewood was used by TWA on their galleys and the placard also looks like TWA.

The best way to look for a photograph of this unit is to search the TWA Skyliner newspapers or see if you can contact Jon Proctor on his website.

My best guess is that it is the auxillary service bar aft of the L1 door of a 707 installed in the mid '70s when the lounges were removed and the carry on luggage rack was installed.


Image
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.
 
aaway
Posts: 1409
Joined: Tue Oct 21, 2003 2:07 am

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:42 am

DL_Mech wrote:
Those galley units look like they were made in house by an airline. I assume that there was no data plate on the unit? The large compartments look to hold the meal tray carriers for a narrowbody. The fake rosewood was used by TWA on their galleys and the placard also looks like TWA.

The best way to look for a photograph of this unit is to search the TWA Skyliner newspapers or see if you can contact Jon Proctor on his website.

My best guess is that it is the auxillary service bar aft of the L1 door of a 707 installed in the mid '70s when the lounges were removed and the carry on luggage rack was installed.


Interesting. Then I'd have a question (acknowledging that you may not know definitively) - was it common for airlines back then (mid 70s, or so) to fabricate their own onboard equipment and furnishings? From your reply, it sounds as though TW fashioned these specifically for aircraft outfitted with the lounge. Would an AA or CO (thinking about the old CO Pub) have done the same thing? I've been under the impression that the aircraft manufacturers produced the furnishings before gradually outsourcing that activity.

With regard to the OP - should you attempt to research through old issues of TWA Skyliner, there is an online digitized archive of those employee newspapers. You'll find them at https://digital.shsmo.org/digital/colle ... rch/page/1

Good luck with the research.
"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one." - Elbert Hubbard
 
User avatar
DL_Mech
Posts: 2387
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2000 7:48 am

Re: L-1011? Weekend find. Galley inserts. Looking for info

Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:44 pm

aaway wrote:
Then I'd have a question (acknowledging that you may not know definitively) - was it common for airlines back then (mid 70s, or so) to fabricate their own onboard equipment and furnishings? From your reply, it sounds as though TW fashioned these specifically for aircraft outfitted with the lounge.


I'm not sure how common in house manufacturing was, but a data plate on the unit would be the dead giveaway. TWA installed a small galley unit (such as this) and a carry on luggage rack in the 707s since passengers could not put briefcases and luggage on the overhead racks at the time. TWA had very few narrow bodies with overhead bins unlike their competitor AA who retrofitted their 707s with wide body style overhead bins.

I thought that that galley was in house made because of the raw aluminum stock markings on the inside of the galley. Most commercial galley makers would not have let their product leave the factory looking like that.

I would think that AA's and CO's DC-10 lounges would have been made by a manufacturer due to complexity of the units.

A photo of one of the luggage racks:

https://www.si.com/vault/issue/43254/25
This plane is built to withstand anything... except a bad pilot.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos