TripleHeavenFly
Topic Author

Aviation themed adventure story to get your kids into flying

Wed Mar 18, 2020 7:43 am

Here is an unabashed plug for a new fiction book aimed at young adults interested in aviation. It is an adventure book set in the wilds of Canada when a DHC-3 Otter crashes in the depths of winter rendering the pilot injured and leaving the teenagers with the dilemma of awaiting rescue or trying the unthinkable: repairing the airplane and flying out of there (a bit like Flight of The Phoenix).

Whilst at university I had the desire to become a helicopter pilot. One of my lecturers gave me a copy of Robert Mason's book Chickenhawk. The book is an autobiography of how Mason became a US Army pilot flying UH-1 Hueys in the Vietnam war. A few years later I fulfilled my dream and I too became an army Helicopter pilot. This new novel is aimed at getting kids interested in aviation and considering it as a career by offering them a story with enough technical information thrown in to whet their appetites.

The writer has leaned on my aviation knowledge (Captain and TRI Boeing 757 / 767 / 777 / 787 ) to furnish the technical details and to ensure that the book stays in the realm of reality.

The book is:

Stranded by J.E. Timlin
ISBN 978-1916173538
Available in print from Amazon https://amzn.to/2wtUxv9 (US, Canada and UK) and also on the Kindle

The author also has a website with more information on the book and some fun aviation facts aimed at kids
http://www.jetimlin.com

All buckled in?” Jim asked. I gave him a thumbs-up. “All set down the back?” he called, lifting his headset so he could hear the chorus of positive replies from Luke and the Fallon children. “Good,” he nodded then started the huge radial engine – a loud whir at first, the propellers beginning to turn slowly, then a roar as all nine cylinders fired. The propeller was rotating fully now, vibrations were running through the plane, the draft buffeting it slightly. Exhaust plumes wafted past the cockpit window, it was fabulous.