hydrolover1962
Topic Author

Early 70's Northwest Colors Question?

Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:20 pm

I build model airplanes. I'm building a 727-100. I want to paint it up like the one DB Cooper hijacked. I'm getting confusion on the paint scheme. Was the fuselage all over white with red & blue trim or was it polished aluminum from the Windows down? We're the wings polished aluminum all over or just partially? Different pictures show different wing decoration. Thanks for any help!

F9Animal

Re: Early 70's Northwest Colors Question?

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:00 am

Can't help you out much, but it was N467US. Ran a Google search: DB Cooper Northwest 727, and there are a few pictures of the aircraft in there.

Appears it was a white top, blue chreat, and polished aluminum bottom fuselage. Wings also appear to be polished aluminum. Wing to body appears to be Boeing grey.
Last edited by F9Animal on Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Polot

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:00 am

Unsure about the wings but in that livery the fuselage was white on top polished bare metal beneath the blue cheat line.

SpaceshipDC10

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:08 am

hydrolover1962 wrote:
I build model airplanes. I'm building a 727-100. I want to paint it up like the one DB Cooper hijacked. I'm getting confusion on the paint scheme. Was the fuselage all over white with red & blue trim or was it polished aluminum from the Windows down? We're the wings polished aluminum all over or just partially? Different pictures show different wing decoration. Thanks for any help!

UltimateDelta

Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:36 am

Just to add a note about the wings, on most (if not all) early 727s, the wings were basically bare aluminum all over with coroguard in the center section (the greyish-metallic stuff). Elevators and the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer were also aluminum, while the rest was usually Boeing gray.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010