Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

claytonyu
Topic Author

Anyone else collects fuselage skin tags?

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:00 am

https://www.aviationtag.com/en/
https://planetags.com/

These two companies cut out fuselage and convert them in to keychain tags. I found out about them last year and have been hooked into it, took me a year though before I actually bought. My first orders are the B-HUI from Cathay and 9V-SKA A380, both from Aviationtag. Planetags, the American company also make interesting products, I plan on purchasing VP-BDJ, Trumps former 727 private jet. They also have a cold war missile chopped up into tags!

TKA380

Re: Anyone else collects fuselage skin tags?

Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 pm

I do!! Got one on my luggage too :lol:

wernerga3

Fri May 08, 2020 2:32 pm

claytonyu wrote:

I really like the a380 one. Would you consider selling it? PM me.

claytonyu
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 2:54 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
claytonyu wrote:

If I bought more than 1 maybe, but you can see if there are any cancelations and orders reopen

Sent from my MAR-LX2 using Tapatalk

wernerga3

Fri May 08, 2020 3:01 pm

claytonyu wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
claytonyu wrote:

If I bought more than 1 maybe, but you can see if there are any cancelations and orders reopen

Understandable. Enjoy it- so cool!

claytonyu
Topic Author

Fri May 08, 2020 5:25 pm

wernerga3 wrote:
claytonyu wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:

Thank you, I will :)

wernerga3

Sat May 09, 2020 12:11 am

claytonyu wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:
claytonyu wrote:

Thank you, I will :)

I found one and bought it! Very expensive, but worth it considering they are completely sold out.

northstardc4m

Sat May 09, 2020 3:06 am

I have 2 of these things...

N8990E DC9-30 Eastern and PH-BFR 747-406M KLM

N8990E tags my camera bag and BFR is my main key chain.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

LoLaurent

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Hi there.

Yes i do ;)

I created a group on Flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/groups/14681721@N25/

Best,

Laurent.

jaybird

Fri Jun 12, 2020 2:03 am

I have a few. Planetags just put up display racks too!

fbgdavidson

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:36 pm

I would buy any for aircraft I've flown, at least based on the flights I have registration numbers for. I have bought a few as gifts....a guy who did a reading at my wedding flew the Hercules in Vietnam and I got one from a C-130 from Planetags as a gift for him, plus a Victor one for my father for Fathers Day.

Glad to hear about Aviationtag, didn't know about them....am on the look out for one from an ex-TWA plane for my father-in-law as he worked for them. No luck yet in the few months I've been looking.

FlyingColours

Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:43 pm

Where on earth did they get part of an SR-71 to use? I didn't think any had been scrapped but instead sent to museums?

Phil
FlyingColours

DALMD80

Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:21 pm

I have an Allegiant MD-80 tag from PlaneTags. It's nice, but I do sometimes worry that I'll drop it and chip the paint or something. It's an expensive hobby, for sure.

TheWorm123

Tue Aug 11, 2020 7:25 pm

I bought a tag of N646DL, I’ve not flown Delta but it’s a 757 which is good enough for me.

n729pa

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:45 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
I would buy any for aircraft I've flown, at least based on the flights I have registration numbers for. I have bought a few as gifts....a guy who did a reading at my wedding flew the Hercules in Vietnam and I got one from a C-130 from Planetags as a gift for him, plus a Victor one for my father for Fathers Day.

Glad to hear about Aviationtag, didn't know about them....am on the look out for one from an ex-TWA plane for my father-in-law as he worked for them. No luck yet in the few months I've been looking.

Aviationtag do one from N922TW, originally a Swissair MD82, sold to TWA in 1997, then ended up with AA. The tag is in AA colours (silver), but it is a former TWA plane if this is of any interest

n729pa

Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:58 pm

I've become a bit addicted to these...I've been looking at them for a while but have now missed a few as they're now out of stock. The first one I got, was from one of my employers ex-freighters, so I decided I'd have a piece of it....the rest they say is history!

My first one was....

DHL 757 D-ALEH

then followed by....

Cathay Pacific 747 B-HUJ
Qantas 747 VH-OJN (white)
KLM 747 PH-BFR
Lufthansa A340 D-AIHO
Swiss A340 HB-JMK
Cathay Pacific 747 B-HUI
Lufthansa A320 D-AIPA
Qantas 747 VH-OJN again (red this time)
Korean Air 747 HL7495
China Airlines A340 B-18801
..good grief didn't realise I had this many!
Iberia A340 EC-GUP
Qatar Airways A340 A7-AGB
Air France A319 F-GPMB
Lufthansa A340 D-AIHR

Two of the Lufthansa ones I brought from them, using my frequent flyer miles, rather than loose them, and travelling is difficult at the moment, I got one of them free, the second one I only had to pay for the shipping so was quite pleased. They had planes for D-AIPC later in the year apparently, as I flew on her last year LHR-MUC, I'm particularly keen to try and get a piece of her too.

I think I want to stay with the larger airlines and planes ideally and avoid some of the smaller props or military stuff, otherwise where does it end.

Happy collecting!

fbgdavidson

Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:29 pm

Today I learned that Plane Reclaimers, based in the UK, have some BA 747 (G-CIVM) and 777 (G-ZZZC) "skin squares". They aren't luggage tags or anything but a metal square but for aircraft I've flown it's something I'll probably acquire.

n729pa wrote:
Aviationtag do one from N922TW, originally a Swissair MD82, sold to TWA in 1997, then ended up with AA. The tag is in AA colours (silver), but it is a former TWA plane if this is of any interest

Thank you for pointing that out! I had seen this one and considered it but he was a victim of AA's acquirement of TWA and so doesn't hold AA with any sort of regard. The Aviationtag packaging was all very heavy on the AA branding

As it happens in the last week Planetags has teased some photos of a TWA 747-100 on their Instagram account so am hoping that is one I'm looking for! I had messaged them a few weeks ago asking if they had any ex-TWA aircraft in the works and the response was no...but I can't see why they would put a photo up if they weren't going to sell it.

FGITD

Sun Sep 27, 2020 3:27 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:

Planetags Has a presale going for tags off a TWA 741. Fair warning though...they aren't cheap!

n729pa

Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:22 pm

It's a shame in a way it's an Air France original 741 rather than a genuine TWA machine...if any even still exist.

I think Aviationtag have a new one announced tomorrow. Curious to see what it'll be

fbgdavidson

Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:58 pm

FGITD wrote:
fbgdavidson wrote:

Planetags Has a presale going for tags off a TWA 741. Fair warning though...they aren't cheap!

I bought a handful within a few minutes of getting the email :D

I believe it's the only TWA liveried 747 left....

FGITD

Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:37 pm

n729pa wrote:
It's a shame in a way it's an Air France original 741 rather than a genuine TWA machine...if any even still exist.

I think Aviationtag have a new one announced tomorrow. Curious to see what it'll be

Didn't even notice that it's a 747-128. She's still a TWA bird but it almost seems a bit dishonest! Spent most of her life flying for AF and then seems to have spent barely a year with TWA, before spending the rest of her life in the desert. Shame no one was in this business earlier. But I suppose their sales are mostly driven by nostalgia

n729pa

Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:33 pm

Yes FGITD, I agreed 20 years ago we might have had real TWA, even Pan Am, still kicking around and some other interesting things too. There's a Continental DC9 marketed, but it's carries the markings of Spirit Airlines I think it is (no idea who they were) but it's a bit of a tenuous link. I don't know if any of their old Tristars are still kicking around in the desert, I think so of the original TWA built 767s are still going with ABX, so one of these in due course might be a more genuine one to market as a TWA tag. One or two of the tags lack any real interest I would have thought, a couple of ex-Chinese A319/A320s, but marketed under a N registration belonging to a lessor or someone, N980AP is one example. I'm sure there will be some more interesting ones before too long

northstardc4m

Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:32 pm

Aren't there still TWA 707 bits at AMARC? Don't know how you would go about acquiring them though...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

DL_Mech

Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:41 pm

FGITD wrote:

$90 for a TWA (Air France) tag? No thanks. I found DL 747-400 planetags for $8.00.

http://www.deltashop.com/Product/747-Planetag-DSFTT740-402880.htm

fanofjets

Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:33 am

This article in Simple Flying discusses many parts of Boeing 747-400 N674US now gracing the pages of eBay:

https://simpleflying.com/delta-747-auction/

fbgdavidson

Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:03 pm

This seems like a good place to start a list of places you can get skin tags or aircraft parts, or those transformed into other items.

Planetags - machined fuselage tags from commercial and military
Aviationtag - similar to Planetags
Airskinz - similar to Planetags and Aviationtag

Plane Reclaimers - skin squares and parts from reclaimed commercial aircraft
Aerotiques - military and commercial aircraft parts transformed into furniture and other curios
Icarus Originals - military and commercial aircraft parts transformed into furniture and other curios

Anyone else feel free to chime in with other companies they know of....Always on the look out for bits off aircraft I've flown on!

Seafinw

Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:01 pm

On Etsy look up WyldebyrdArt. Lance has some pretty amazing pieces. I've bought several different things from him.

fanofjets

Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:14 am

I don't know why I didn't think of this earlier, but a Dutchman by the name of Hans Wiesman has traveled the globe in search of parts from DC-3s, from wingtips to entire cockpits. He has earned the name "Dakota Hunter." These are pieces of very high artistic value. For those of us with less ethereal budges (like myself), I recommend his book.
https://www.dc3dakotahunter.com/

LukaJ

Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:42 am

Thanks, OP. I never even heard of this until I read this thread. Yesterday I ordered the Convair B-36 Peacemaker from Planetags, and the Delta's retired 747 from their shop site. I'm curious to see how the pieces will look like since each piece is unique. I'll post a pic when it arrives. Right now I got an email from planetags saying they now have ones from the P-51K Mustang, just ahead ups incase they get sold out and someone wants one.

kalvin

Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:15 am

There has been a rise in number of companies making these I can see. Very interesting as they are not any ordinary keychains that can be discarded after some time, but rather a piece of collectible history that retains or increases its value over time

Sloth2000

Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:08 am

Tailfins.co.uk make some nice keychains and other small items. They're UK based small operation.

There's another one too...I will dig out the name.
:)

fbgdavidson wrote:
This seems like a good place to start a list of places you can get skin tags or aircraft parts, or those transformed into other items.

Planetags - machined fuselage tags from commercial and military
Aviationtag - similar to Planetags
Airskinz - similar to Planetags and Aviationtag

Plane Reclaimers - skin squares and parts from reclaimed commercial aircraft
Aerotiques - military and commercial aircraft parts transformed into furniture and other curios
Icarus Originals - military and commercial aircraft parts transformed into furniture and other curios

Anyone else feel free to chime in with other companies they know of....Always on the look out for bits off aircraft I've flown on!

CarbonFibre

Thu Apr 15, 2021 7:56 am

Any buy the BA 747 'CIVY' tags from Airlinertags? Tuns out they were really from CIVU.

Bucksduck

Mon May 03, 2021 6:11 pm

BA did a presentation tag for staff made from 747-400 G-BNLJ for their centenary in 2019 and I have one of these in its original presentation box.
Have a few others too from various aircraft the most interesting being from RAF VC-10 XV106, and former VIP ex-Lufthansa 707-350 N88ZL