Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Jon Proctor has "flown west"

Thu Apr 23, 2020 5:10 pm

Legendary aviation historian Jon Proctor passed away last night, after a brief illness.

Jon's first job in the airline industry was as a reservations agent for PSA. He spent most of his career at TWA, as a gate agent and flight attendant, as well as a manager at the airline's executive offices in New York City. His father was a pioneering aviator for American Airlines, and a brother was a pilot for TWA.

Jon was an exceptional photographer, who assembled one of the best collections of post war airliner slides. He was a founding member of the World Airline Historical Society, and his writing appeared often in the WAHS' magazine The Captain's Log, as well as Airways, Airliners, and other publications. He also authored or co authored numerous books about the airline industry.

Jon was also one of the kindest people in the airline hobby. He genuinely enjoyed being around other people who loved the airline industry, whether it was historians like Robert Serling and R E G Davies, or teenagers coming to their first airline collectibles show.

R I P, Jon - the airline hobby will not be as nice without you :-(

TurboJet707

Re: Jon Proctor has "flown west"

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:23 pm

Blue Skies, Jon Proctor!

Never met Jon in person, but his photographs and books are wonderful. I admire his work. A life dedicated to aviation. Thanks Jon!

flyPIT

Fri Apr 24, 2020 11:07 pm

What a huge loss for airline enthusiasts. Tailwinds....

B757Forever

Sat Apr 25, 2020 9:45 am

I have spent many hours studying his fabulous photographs. He was incredibly talented. He may be gone but his photos will live on for ages.

crownvic

Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:14 pm

A true legend and well known throughout the industry...This is a big loss...

seb146

Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:30 am

I have not heard that name for a while. I really enjoy his work.

DL_Mech

Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:34 am

Does anyone know what will happen to his collection of photographs? Could they be archived by a museum?

Jon was a great guy and a wealth of information. He will truly be missed.

A320FlyGuy

Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:41 am

I just came across the link to his obituary:

https://jonproctor.net/wp-content/uploa ... ituary.pdf

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:13 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
Does anyone know what will happen to his collection of photographs? Could they be archived by a museum?

Jon was a great guy and a wealth of information. He will truly be missed.

Jon prepared a detailed will, with clear guidance about what to do with his collection after his passing. One of his closest friends says more information about what will happen to his collection will be shared at a later date.

halrudy

Thu May 28, 2020 12:53 pm

Very sad to read this as I have been a fan of Jon's pictures and a subscriber of Airways magazine since back in the 90's. His pictures of airlines that no longer exist today bring back such memories. I wish he had more pictures of airport terminals from back in the 70's/80s. Anyone know such photos exist anywhere?

bradwaltz

Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:37 am

A true legend... His photographs and books are wonderful.

wernerga3

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:08 pm

This is heart wrenching. I actually reached out via his contact page a month or so back and never heard back from him, and never even realized this could be a possibility. He was a great guy who shared his passion and stories in ways that moved me personally. He will be missed by many. RIP.

wernerga3

Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:10 pm

halrudy wrote:
Very sad to read this as I have been a fan of Jon's pictures and a subscriber of Airways magazine since back in the 90's. His pictures of airlines that no longer exist today bring back such memories. I wish he had more pictures of airport terminals from back in the 70's/80s. Anyone know such photos exist anywhere?

His site is extoradionary if you get the time to peruse all the stories there are countless photos from the 70s/80s particularly in his career story section. My favorite is all the focus on the intro of the TWA 747 and L1011 which he was a monumental part of. But more that that, he saw the ins and out of everything and kept it all moving without anyone even knowing. You know what they say, if you're doing things right, people won't know you're doing anything at all.

http://jonproctor.net

smithbs

Sat Aug 29, 2020 3:29 am

I just became aware of his work and have been reading it non-stop. What an interesting life. It would have been neat to meet him.

WA707atMSP
Topic Author

Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:09 pm

Two Jon Proctor updates:

1. Some of the items in his collection will be for sale at this summer's Airliners International convention in PHX.

2. Before his passing, Jon made arrangements for his website to be maintained. This means we'll still be able to have access to his photographs, trip reports, and stories about his airline career, for years to come.

ozark1

Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 am

I really am sorry to read about this. Not only was he an excellent photographer, he was an excellent writer as well. I loved reading anything he published. You could just tell by the way he described things that he was a kind, gentle soul. I am very glad his legacy will live on with all of his outstanding work.

vfw614

Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:08 pm

I think I have all of his books, a geat writer.

Looking for some more information, I noticed that his father - an AA DC6 Captain - was the first US airline pilot who had to retire because of reaching the grand old age of 60 years- that was back in 1950.