Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Thu May 07, 2020 11:22 pm

So I just bought a very rare American airlines 747sp first class seat on eBay, and was hoping to make it a part of my home.

Was hoping the ones with experience could chime in to help me make this authentic.

Any dinner menus for the flagship 747 sp? What did the blankets look like? The china? I want to try to recreate the experience and am looking for authentic guidance.

This was pushed by my pan am research and wanting a sheepskin single sleeper seat for my home. It took a while.
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2611
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Thu May 07, 2020 11:45 pm

Congrats on the purchase. You should post a pic of the seats.


AA

Image

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/business/aviation/sky-talk-blog/article70602257.html
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Thu May 07, 2020 11:58 pm

Image

It's one of the single seats. There were three on each sp. Two in the nose and one on the upper deck. 1J, 6A, 6J

Image

Not sure which Weber model it is but still waiting for it to be freight shipped and looking forward to seeing the service tag.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 12:13 am

Would not mind finding the book, slippers, headphones, espresso cup from the promo pic
Image

Image
 
airzona11
Posts: 1720
Joined: Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:44 am

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 12:25 am

Such a cool project. I am looking for some business class seats for recliners. I am trying to piece together the early 80s United FC/Biz cutlery/cups/etc. Love you idea of recreating the seat map items.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 2:23 pm

A shame this got moved the the hobby section since no one ever goes to this section.
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 7:51 pm

31-year AA purser here. When the 747SP first flew for AA, it was used exclusively for DFW-NRT. The china in use at the time (1987-90) was by Syracuse, it was really heavy, and had a wide blue band with silver trim on the edges of the plates, bowls and cups. The silverware was by Oneida, and sort of old-fashioned looking, there are a few pieces that come up on eBay from time to time. Because it was used in the Japanese market, there were pieces that were completely unique to the “TIFS” flights, as they were called. TIFS being Tokyo International Flagship Service. Bento boxes, chopsticks, sake carafes and cups, ceramic tea pots with wicker handles for traditional Japanese tea, toothpicks, and probably more things I don’t remember. The linens used at the time were the same as used on domestic, in royal blue.

In 1990, AA upgraded its china, silverware, and linens. The china was designed by an architectural team called Gwathmey Siegel, and manufactured by Swid Powell. I remember that we had to go to an international service refresher course every year, and it was a big thing. It was an era when these things were important, and we took such pride back then. The first class china was white with silver trim, and the linens were midnight blue. I liked the business class china pattern better, it was blue and silver trim on white, and the linens were pale grey. The scissor eagle was at the top of the plates and on the sides of the coffee cups. They turn up on eBay as well.

I’ve always been based at JFK, and the SP’s were moved to New York for one year before being retired, to start the new Heathrow routes AA bought from TWA. The seats on the SP were unique in that the leather and sheepskin were royal blue, the same seats were used on all other long haul aircraft like the DC-10-30, 767-200 and -300, but they were tan in color. Congratulations on your purchase!
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 7:56 pm

Oh, and I forgot, the blankets were tan in color, rather heavy, and made of a synthetic fiber that resembled wool, with the IFS logo in the center, which was the scissor eagle with stars on the sides. The pillow cases were white with the same International Flagship logo in grey. No duvets back then.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 9:20 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
Oh, and I forgot, the blankets were tan in color, rather heavy, and made of a synthetic fiber that resembled wool, with the IFS logo in the center, which was the scissor eagle with stars on the sides. The pillow cases were white with the same International Flagship logo in grey. No duvets back then.

Thanks so much for this information! Do you happen to know the dimensions of the single sleeper seat? It looks about 36" wide.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 pm

 
NYCAAer
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Sat May 09, 2020 6:36 pm

I don’t remember the size of the seats, but they were quite wide, wider than the first class seats we have today on the 777-300.
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Sat May 09, 2020 6:42 pm

wernerga3 wrote:


Yes, the larger blue menus are from IFS First Class, the smaller silver one is business class. Looking at the items served, and the languages they’re in, these were used for the European flights at the time. Any menu from that period that has sevruga caviar will be first class. Those were the days! I also forgot to mention, as it all comes back to me, the 747SP was also used briefly on JFK-BRU in the winter months of 1991-92, when the flights weren’t always daily. I think BRU was something like 4 days a week, and then one of the two daily flights that were flown by the 747SP to LHR was operated with a 763 or 762. It was a long time ago, hard to believe it has been 29 years!
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Sat May 09, 2020 9:49 pm

NYCAAer wrote:
wernerga3 wrote:


Yes, the larger blue menus are from IFS First Class, the smaller silver one is business class. Looking at the items served, and the languages they’re in, these were used for the European flights at the time. Any menu from that period that has sevruga caviar will be first class. Those were the days! I also forgot to mention, as it all comes back to me, the 747SP was also used briefly on JFK-BRU in the winter months of 1991-92, when the flights weren’t always daily. I think BRU was something like 4 days a week, and then one of the two daily flights that were flown by the 747SP to LHR was operated with a 763 or 762. It was a long time ago, hard to believe it has been 29 years!


If you could help me locate the correct menu, or even additional items, it would be most appreciated
 
NYCAAer
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jul 29, 2004 10:22 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Sun May 10, 2020 3:18 pm

The only place I would know is to keep checking eBay. The same menu covers were used for the Tokyo service, but of course the inside was completely different, there was a choice of Western meals or Japanese meals. When you enter a search in eBay, just put in something like “American Airlines Syracuse China,” or “American Airlines menu,” and things turn up. They’re not always what you’re looking for, you have to keep looking. I’m a collector of certain AA memorabilia and it’s always an ongoing process. It takes years. I never took anything off the plane, but I now have 2 full sets of the Swid Powell business class china from the early ‘90s. It took me a long time to find every piece. That was my favorite china that we’ve had.
 
wernerga3
Topic Author
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:26 pm

Re: American airlines 747sp seat- help me make it authentic

Tue May 12, 2020 1:22 am

NYCAAer wrote:
The only place I would know is to keep checking eBay. The same menu covers were used for the Tokyo service, but of course the inside was completely different, there was a choice of Western meals or Japanese meals. When you enter a search in eBay, just put in something like “American Airlines Syracuse China,” or “American Airlines menu,” and things turn up. They’re not always what you’re looking for, you have to keep looking. I’m a collector of certain AA memorabilia and it’s always an ongoing process. It takes years. I never took anything off the plane, but I now have 2 full sets of the Swid Powell business class china from the early ‘90s. It took me a long time to find every piece. That was my favorite china that we’ve had.

Thanks for the info. There are a lot of IFS menus on ebay, but unfortunately none of them are the JIFS menus. These would appear to be near impossible to find, so I am going to keep my eye out. My plan is to recreate the menu and have it in the seat!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos