Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AstroNav
Topic Author

Military Flight Jackets

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:06 pm

I've been wearing them since 1987.

I've crashed an FZR 600 in them, got drunk in one and tore it badly - and gave one to an old girlfriend who loved it.

One of my friends from school borrowed my Eric Hartmann hand-made replica and doesn't seem to want to give it back (he's had it for over 10 years).

I have a small collection and I love them - from WW2 US/ German, Vietnam to modern day Nomex.

--

Does anyone else wear these jackets?

I never liked the British ones and I never thought about what the Russians wear.

--

Tell me about your flight jackets.

kc135topboom

Re: Military Flight Jackets

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:45 pm

I got mine issued to me back in the 1980s. I still have it with my name tag, wings and rank. It also has a Strategic Air Command patch on it.

AstroNav
Topic Author

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:08 pm

Nice kc135. I want to upload photos but not sure how to.

kc135topboom

Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:53 pm

I don't know how to do that, either.

AstroNav
Topic Author

Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:30 pm

Users aren't permitted to upload photo's from what I have read in the site-related forums.

That's a shame as I have some very nice flight jackets - some WW2 US/ German made to exact spec.

N965UW

Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:24 am

I wear both a black leather A2 and a modern repro MA-1. Though not quite as nice as the real thing, they get the job done.

The A2 is my go-to Civil Air Patrol flight jacket. It has my wings/name & rank tag and the CAP command patch velcroed on. We wear black to be distinctive from the USAF and their brown A2s.

The MA-1 is nicer when it's raining. No leather damage to worry about. Haven't gotten around to putting my patches on it though.

Both jackets are warm. Every time I flew last winter, the jackets were nice on the ground, but after takeoff we climbed into an inversion and they became unbearably hot. The pockets on both are great for holding cellphones/pens/etc. while in flight. I prefer the A2 for looks but both are great.

LyleLanley

Thu Jul 30, 2020 3:03 am

Between my green nomex “approved for flight” jacket and my classic “not approved for flight” leather jacket, I don’t think I’ve ever worn my green one inflight. It seems destined for driving to work or maybe, maybe, doing a preflight. The leather jacket is too comfortable, too warm (although this isn’t really a factor in the KC-10), and too awesome to not wear inflight on the regular. Thankfully, most everyone I work with agrees with the sentiment.

Both jackets are older than most new pilots and booms, and both are just about worn in :D