Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Hobby question

Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:15 am

Hi! Im not sure whether this goes on this forum or on tech/airline ops but here it gioes:

(Covid not withstanding) why don't airlines advertise more? Why can't I go to Walmart and Target and buy, say, airline logo'd shirts or toys the way I can buy a Cat, John Deere or Coca Cola one?

Im sure there are enough airline fans and collectors out there! As it stands now, the only airline related collectables we can get at places like that are gift cards..(Delta and Southwest, I got one of each)...

I always thought airlines could do a better job advertising to the regular people, specially when some of them (kids at least) could be their potential future business flyers..

FGITD

Re: Hobby question

Tue Aug 11, 2020 6:57 pm

Airlines have a tricky problem with public perception.

They’re often the butt of jokes, and basically never in the news for anything good. Only when they crash, have an emergency, or need money. People view them almost as a necessary evil (crammed like sardines, bad or no food, constant delays...but they got us to our vacation)

The companies you posted have somewhat transcended the brand to become symbols of classic Americana. Most people will never operate a CAT or John Deere piece of machinery (at least beyond a lawn mower) but they're 2 very strong brands because of their association with the down home good ol' USA lifestyle image. They evoke nostalgia. Airlines that change their logos, merge, disappear, or don't operate nearby don't get the same effect

If you really want, most airlines directly sell merchandise with their names and logos on them and they're usually not that expensive. Even Boeing and Airbus do

DL_Mech

Tue Aug 11, 2020 8:10 pm

This is Delta's, I'm sure all airlines have them.

http://www.deltashop.com/

AntonioMartin
Topic Author

Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:39 pm

DL_Mech wrote:
This is Delta's, I'm sure all airlines have them.

http://www.deltashop.com/

Thanks!

We do need these things at Walmart and Target, though..:)

fanofjets

Wed Aug 12, 2020 5:00 pm

For lovers of Pan American World Airways, Target has the Pan Am game.
https://www.target.com/p/funko-pan-am-b ... A-79396299

The only branded airline merchandise I have seen not on airline websites is for Emirates and Etihad. These carriers evoke the elegance of a high-end brand. Their logos are beautifully done, too.

Flanker7

Wed Aug 19, 2020 11:44 am

Here you go, they ship worldwide https://www.aviationmegastore.com/

Drake0505

Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:05 pm

I think that if it is not sold, then there is not enough demand. Because if many people wanted to buy products with the symbols of airlines. Still, this hobby is not as popular as football, or cars, and so on.
And in society, not all people associate airlines with the positive. Many people have a negative attitude towards it, because in the news the planes are mentioned only when there is a scandal or accident.
Therefore, for fans of airlines need to look well where you can find products on the subject.

TWA772LR

Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:58 am

I've seen Pan Am and TWA shirts in stores. PA in a Brookstone in IAH, and TW in a Target(?) when I was in high school.

bunumuring

Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:43 am

Hey guys,
I have a mauve-coloured Hawaiian Airlines branded tshirt with the tail logo on the chest... purchased from the Japanese department store Uniqlo here in Sydney, Australia! There were a couple of other designs on offer at the same time, including one with a repeated Dreamliner graphic all over it.
Hawaiian do fly to Sydney ... but are a relatively unknown airline here down under. I guess that Uniqlo must sell the range of T-shirts in markets where Hawaiian is better known and would be in greater demand.
I’m happy to have mine!
Take care,
Bunumuring

fanofjets

Sun Jan 10, 2021 4:56 am

Here is the site for Alaska Airlines. I have purchased models from them; service was very good. Very reasonable prices, too - which is why so many are sold out. But there are some good ones still left. I think their logo is very well done - and they're a nice airline.

https://companystore.alaskaair.com/asqxcompanystore

quackk

Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:27 pm

FGITD wrote:
Airlines have a tricky problem with public perception.

They’re often the butt of jokes, and basically never in the news for anything good. Only when they crash, have an emergency, or need money. People view them almost as a necessary evil (crammed like sardines, bad or no food, constant delays...but they got us to our vacation)

The companies you posted have somewhat transcended the brand to become symbols of classic Americana. Most people will never operate a CAT or John Deere piece of machinery (at least beyond a lawn mower) but they're 2 very strong brands because of their association with the down home good ol' USA lifestyle image. They evoke nostalgia. Airlines that change their logos, merge, disappear, or don't operate nearby don't get the same effect

If you really want, most airlines directly sell merchandise with their names and logos on them and they're usually not that expensive. Even Boeing and Airbus do

Very true
shopjetblue.com
aabrandstore.com