Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

When was Miami 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant lot closed to spotters?

Sun Dec 20, 2020 2:15 am

I was in Miami layed over at an airport hotel this week and decided to go over to the overflow parking lot at the 94th Aero Squadron restaurant to watch planes for a while, but was disappointed to find it gated off with a sign warning non customers not to loiter there without police removal.

It’s been about three years since my last visit. And this was one of the best sporting locations I’ve been to in the USA.

When was this area closed off? It’s been a spotting friendly location for decades, and for years after 911.

N62NA

Re: When was Miami 94th Aero Squadron Restaurant lot closed to spotters?

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:13 am

I ate Sunday brunch there a few weeks ago and didn't notice the lot was closed. My guess is they don't want people congregating on their property during this whole virus thing. I have hopes that it will open up again once this is all behind us. In the meantime, there's always the spot next to El Dorado.

jeffh747

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:27 am

They really started getting on top of keeping non-restaurant patrons out about 2-3 years ago. It's disappointing for sure and has negatively impacted my perception of the restaurant but I can't blame them. The lot used to be filled with a lot of broken glass, supposedly from people exhibiting poor behavior, so it makes sense for them to want to let only patrons use the parking lot. Just go inside next time, order food to go and eat it in the lot or something and stay as long as you'd please.

Miami

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:47 am

They open it once in a while because I parked my car there the other day and several times during the pandemic. I guess it’s random or on certain days.

You can always just park your car at the main parking area and just walk to the usual spot.

pwm2txlhopper
Topic Author

Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:51 am

N62NA wrote:
I ate Sunday brunch there a few weeks ago and didn't notice the lot was closed. My guess is they don't want people congregating on their property during this whole virus thing. I have hopes that it will open up again once this is all behind us. In the meantime, there's always the spot next to El Dorado.

Yeah, the parking lot out back along the railroad tracks was gated shut with a sign saying something along the lines of ‘No Loitering! Miami police have been given authority to summons or arrest those non patrons who don’t vacate after being being given warning to leave”

FLALEFTY

Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:21 am

I guess we will have to watch this PTZ.com camera mounted on top of the 94th Aero Squadron in the future?

https://www.miamiairportcam.com

It is actually a really good way to do some virtual spotting at MIA. The camera quality is OK and the site links to an ATC scanner.

extender

Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:15 pm

It is open now.