Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

alberchico
Topic Author

How is Airways Magazine doing these days ?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:35 pm

Ever since the late 90's this magazine has been published monthly, but I recently noticed they now publish only 6 issues a year. Does anyone know why ? Has there been a drop in subscriptions or a loss of ad revenue that precipitated this move ?

For those who still subscribe, how is the magazine doing in terms of the quality of the articles ? Is it still as good as it was under the old ownership or have things changed ? Would you recommend getting a subscription ?

jaybird

Re: How is Airways Magazine doing these days ?

Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:11 pm

I'm still subscribing - it's great - I have no problems with the magazine.
As far as publishing - they're not the only magazine that has reduced issues. Aviation Weekly, Air Transport World, Flight International - they've all reduced their publishing as have many of the non-aviation magazines. This has more to do with covid and the ability to get magazines printed and shipped. And like others - Airways Magazine continually publishes news stories online.

VSMUT

Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:40 pm

Isn't the reduction more because next to nothing is going on in aviation at the moment? Can't fill a monthly publication if nothing is happening.

Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:11 am

Hello Alberchico,

Thanks for your question. Airways was forced to reduce its normal monthly production to bi-monthly due to COVID-19 reasons. The most prominent was the fact that Canada (where the magazine prints nowadays) had—and still does have—a severe lockdown for which workers were unable to reach the printing facility. The same happened with the domestic, regional, and international shipping companies (including the USPS, which we all know how disastrous they've been over the last 10 months). Shipping costs increased, and therefore management had to mitigate the overall logistical nightmare by reducing output. Also, as mentioned above, the commercial aviation world came to a standstill. It wouldn't have made any sense to publish with no relevant news out there.

Fingers crossed that the world comes back to normal and that the magazine resumes its monthly printing like it's done for the past 27 years!

Cheers,

Enrique.

Max Q

Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:26 pm

I’ve been a subscriber since the first edition, always enjoyed this publication until they had a story on Continental’s history that also covered the merger with UA, this was in the March / April 2019 edition

It was obvious that one of the writers (Henry Harteveldt) had an intense dislike for Continental but endless praise for legacy UA, with nothing but criticism for the former and fawning praise for the latter

His ‘contribution’ to the story was nothing but a totally biased, inaccurate and quite plainly false ‘hit job’ on my airline, pretty nauseating to see such negative and false accounting of Continental’s distinguished and unique history and the minimization of its value and contribution to the merged airline

I was very annoyed to read this and surprised to see such obviously personal biased, bitter and outright hateful coverage of a fine airline. I couldn’t believe this would survive the editing process of a magazine devoted to aviation enthusiasts

As a subscriber I thought I would be able to call Enrique and discuss the subject but after three calls when he wouldn’t answer and / or return my call I gave up

Pretty disappointing, Enrique you should go back and look at this edition, perhaps it will encourage you to be more thorough in the editing process and not allow a contributors personal grudges and obvious bias to ‘poison’ what should have been at least a reasonably accurate historical account in this case and in future stories

Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:36 pm

Max Q wrote:
I’ve been a subscriber since the first edition, always enjoyed this publication until they had a story on Continental’s history that also covered the merger with UA, this was in the March / April 2019 edition

It was obvious that one of the writers (Henry Harteveldt) had an intense dislike for Continental but endless praise for legacy UA, with nothing but criticism for the former and fawning praise for the latter

His ‘contribution’ to the story was nothing but a totally biased, inaccurate and quite plainly false ‘hit job’ on my airline, pretty nauseating to see such negative and false accounting of Continental’s distinguished and unique history and the minimization of its value and contribution to the merged airline

I was very annoyed to read this and surprised to see such obviously personal biased, bitter and outright hateful coverage of a fine airline. I couldn’t believe this would survive the editing process of a magazine devoted to aviation enthusiasts

As a subscriber I thought I would be able to call Enrique and discuss the subject but after three calls when he wouldn’t answer and / or return my call I gave up

Pretty disappointing, Enrique you should go back and look at this edition, perhaps it will encourage you to be more thorough in the editing process and not allow a contributors personal grudges and obvious bias to ‘poison’ what should have been at least a reasonably accurate historical account in this case and in future stories

Hi Max, thanks for the feedback!

I'm sorry you were never able to reach out to me directly. I must have been stationed in Venezuela back then when you tried to call.

Regarding your comments, I agree that some of Henry's comments might have been perceived as negative. However, he's one of the world's most respected aviation analysts, and having him as a contributor is always a privilege. I do believe that, overall, the issue was tremendously balanced with both positive and negative comments on both airlines.

I sure hope the other issues we have published met your expectations.

You can always reach out to me directly to my email: enrique at airwaysmag dot com.

Take care.

E

Max Q

Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:55 am

797 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Hi Max, thanks for the feedback!

I'm sorry you were never able to reach out to me directly. I must have been stationed in Venezuela back then when you tried to call.

Regarding your comments, I agree that some of Henry's comments might have been perceived as negative. However, he's one of the world's most respected aviation analysts, and having him as a contributor is always a privilege. I do believe that, overall, the issue was tremendously balanced with both positive and negative comments on both airlines.

I sure hope the other issues we have published met your expectations.

You can always reach out to me directly to my email: enrique at airwaysmag dot com.

Take care.

E

Thanks for the reply

On the occasions I called the person that answered said you were in the office and would get back to me, nothing about you being in Venezuela

I didn’t ‘perceive’ Harteveldt’s comments as negative they were just negative, biased and completely false. As I said it was obvious he had a grudge against Continental, apparently he worked for them at one time, perhaps he was fired

You say he’s one of the ‘worlds most respected aviation analysts’ I couldn’t disagree more and I’ve never heard of him

From Henry’s article ‘In my opinion United didn’t need Continental as much as Continental needed United’

He goes on to say while he was traveling as a passenger shortly after the merger he wanted the aircraft to return to the gate so he could get off after a flight attendant made a PA stating they had a former Continental cockpit and cabin crew taking care of them on his flight that day

Disappointing that you consider his comments to be unbiased and a balanced view of the merger, you either didn’t read the story or you share his bias