Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DiscoverCSG
Topic Author

Spotting from terminals/AirTrain at JFK

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:41 pm

I'll soon be going through JFK with an 8-year-old who loves to look at planes... arriving midday via taxi from LGA and departing T8. We won't probably have enough time to go spotting off-airport.

Is there anyplace landside (accessible by AirTrain) at JFK where it's good to spot? Or anyplace in T8?

Thanks, in advance, for any advice.

san747

Re: Spotting from terminals/AirTrain at JFK

Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:58 pm

The AirTrain at JFK goes on a loop accessing each terminal, so you could just take the loop around and see all of the terminals and their traffic in one go (or as many goes as you like).

Only other thing I can think of is the TWA Hotel pool/observation deck, but I’m not sure if they’ve reopened it to non hotel guests yet.

maverick4002

Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:11 pm

The pool area at the TWA hotel (terminal 5) probably. You can also maybe walk to the very ends of T4 and see the planes parked up that way. Not much to see via the AirTrains as most/ all of the stops dont have a view. You'd have to ride around and look while the train is moving.

cheufo

Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:32 am

I saw the title of this post and became really nostalgic. I agree with the comment about the AirTrain. The service that does the loop provides some decent views of the apron. The first time I went to JFK I was about the same age. It was the 1980s and back then there was a bus that ran between the terminals. We had a long layover so my dad suggested we do a few loops on the bus. From what I recall there were some glimpses of the planes but nothing like the views you will get from the AirTrain. It was still magical though. I saw signs for airlines I had never heard of before, like Alitalia! Depending on the time of day the train that takes you towards the rental car stop passes by an AA hangar as well as the cargo ramp. I recall (at least pre-Covid) passing relatively close by several AA 777s. Enjoy!

phatfarmlines

Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:20 am

maverick4002 wrote:
The pool area at the TWA hotel (terminal 5) probably.

This. Several YouTube videos of spotters filming from this location. Great views of T4 Concourse A widebody action.

DiscoverCSG
Topic Author

Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:23 pm

Thanks for all these replies.

As it happened, our inbound to LGA was about 1.5 hours late, so we didn't have much time to spot at JFK before our departing flight. Thinking fast, I had our cab driver drop us at T1 and we rode the AirTrain the long way around to T8. We saw plenty of pretty birds just in that short time, and my nephew was thrilled.