Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

threephi
Topic Author

Medical Exam and Alcohol Misuse

Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:17 am

I'm interested in learning how to fly but am concerned about the medical exam. I voluntarily sought help from my doctor because my drinking had gotten out of control when we were all stuck at home due to COVID. I took medication from the doctor, saw a talk therapist for a few months, and ended up quitting alcohol use.

I'm wondering how difficult it will be for me to pass a medical exam given my history. I have never had any legal consequences (no DUI, arrests, etc). I read some articles about people getting their licenses back in just a few months after a DUI, which sounds much more serious an offense then just asking for help.

Thoughts about how to approach this?

Aaron747

Re: Medical Exam and Alcohol Misuse

Mon Sep 27, 2021 7:03 am

threephi wrote:
I'm interested in learning how to fly but am concerned about the medical exam. I voluntarily sought help from my doctor because my drinking had gotten out of control when we were all stuck at home due to COVID. I took medication from the doctor, saw a talk therapist for a few months, and ended up quitting alcohol use.

I'm wondering how difficult it will be for me to pass a medical exam given my history. I have never had any legal consequences (no DUI, arrests, etc). I read some articles about people getting their licenses back in just a few months after a DUI, which sounds much more serious an offense then just asking for help.

Thoughts about how to approach this?

Depends on a lot of things - what your doctor recorded, whether you were diagnosed with alcoholism, etc. Seeking help and having a diagnosis of substance abuse are a little different. If you are documented as an alcoholic, you'll definitely have to disclose that in your paperwork and to AME, because the FAA will eventually learn anyway. If you demonstrate sobriety and successful completion of treatment, I would think there should be no issue obtaining a 3rd class medical in most cases, especially without arrest history or DUI. Those would invite A LOT of scrutiny. IIRC with that history any AME would have to defer your application automatically.

threephi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:25 am

I'm sure I do have a diagnosis of alcohol use disorder. He said alcohol use disorder is one of the few things a patient can "diagnose themselves with." I don't know how I can "demonstrate" sobriety. I never went to treatment. I just stopped buying it one day and then I was sober, LOL.

I've been with the same employer for the past eight years and have never had any disciplinary action or even comment from them about my alcohol use even when I would drink at night. I turned up every morning sober and ready for work.

I have lost a considerable amount of weight and do look much healthier than when I was drinking! I'm just nervous about being denied.

threephi
Topic Author

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:31 am

If I do end up getting deferred will they give me steps I can take to rectify the situation? For example, maybe attending an intensive outpatient class or documenting attendance at recovery (AA) meetings and then returning after a period of time for re-assessment?

Aaron747

Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:50 pm

Hard to say - best to ask an AME or someone very familiar with one.