Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

vmoores
Topic Author

Rare 747-8 model for sale - seeking further design info

Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:03 pm

Hi there,

I’m an aviation journalist. I was gifted this 1:100(?) Pacmin 747-8 model by Boeing at an air show.

I know this model has features that never made it onto the final design for the 747-8I, but my colleagues and I are struggling to place exactly which design iteration this was.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-Boeing- ... 635-2958-0

We believe this might be an unusual pre-747-8I hybrid, most likely a model of the evolved (and shortened) 747-500X version that preceded the official launch of the 747-8 in late 2005. However, this model seems to date from around 2006, because the box shows details of the Pacmin 60th anniversary that year.

It seems to reflect the change from the -500X to the Advanced and then the Intercontinental, because of the 15 window aft belt on the upper aft deck of the Section 43. The -8I was eventually stretched to provide 10 windows forward of the upper deck exit and 20 aft.

Does anyone else have any further insights or information? It would be nice to pass on the model’s history to its new owner.

Many thanks for reading,

Victoria

P.s. Ignore the Q400 in the box - that photo snuck in by accident! She’s for sale on another listing (1:55 scale). Both auctions close in 3 days.