Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DeltaMD90
Topic Author

Delta Golden Crown DC-8s?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:24 am

Hello all. Over the years, I've researched every aircraft and livery Delta and its subsidiaries, merged partners, and their subsidiaries have flown. Being an amateur, I'm sure there are a couple I've missed, and I occasionally stumble across something new.

I found this image the other day... it's a DC-8 in the Golden Crown Livery that was on their DC-7s. I assume, for their first jet, they wanted a fresh new livery, which is the one we all know about. Does anyone have any info on this pic? Any other artwork of Delta jets in this livery (or any other livery that never saw the light of day)? Did the DC-8 actually sport this livery for a very, very short time (I doubt it)?

Thanks! If nothing else, I hope you enjoy this rare concept art.

DL_Mech

Re: Delta Golden Crown DC-8s?

Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:34 am

Reminds me of the TWA 707 stratoliner with the Constellation livery. I actually prefer this Golden Crown version rather than the original DC-8 livery. I believe that there is a photo of a 707 Golden Crown livery out there as well.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/boeing-model-707-131-jet-stratoliner-1834277405

rj968

Re: Delta Golden Crown DC-8s?

Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:35 pm

The first six DC-8-11's were delivered in a different scheme than pictured here starting in late 1959, but not the "Widget Scheme". That didn’t appear until 1962.
I could only find one poor photo in the database of this early paint scheme, Aviation Photo #0202304.
After this site changed a few years ago I don't know how to link the photo. Too bad you can no longer add photos to posts from your own computer. I have 1000's from the transition era from the last of the big props to the early jets. Many on Delta aircraft.
If you Google "Delta Air Lines DC-8-11" there are pictures of the early DC-8's.
This was an odd design, using a font for the main "Delta Air Lines" on the side that was never used on anything else, planes or advertising, and not the same as the tail and engines.
The first appearance of what became the standard Widget scheme was on the first DC-8-51 “FanJet”, ship 807, delivered in the spring of 1962.
(The Convair 880's were delivered with a similar all white design in 1960, but there were no widgets on them - they did have Golden crown 880 logos)
The original six DC-8's were converted to DC-51's and painted in the widget scheme after a few years in service.
In the early 60's the Delta ramp in ATL & DFW was colorful since the jets were in three different schemes and the props remained in the 50's "Flying D" colors. There were also the “sideways widget” DC-9’s to add to the variety!