Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rotation18L
Topic Author

Startup Procedures in Flight Sim

Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but are the manual engine startup procedures that are available in the default aircraft in MSFS 2020 close to reality, or do you need access to study-level aircraft to even come close to mimicking actual procedures?

Thanks...

Rotation18L

Re: Startup Procedures in Flight Sim

Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:03 pm

rotation18L wrote:
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere, but are the manual engine startup procedures that are available in the default aircraft in MSFS 2020 close to reality, or do you need access to study-level aircraft to even come close to mimicking actual procedures?

Thanks...

Rotation18L

This is the PMDG 737 under development:

https://youtu.be/7H7R5m9tXiQ

I would guess the default aircraft won’t be near that level of detail.

r6russian

Sat May 07, 2022 5:26 am

default airliners got much better from the junk they gave us in FSX and earlier, but theyre still pretty bad. FMCs are very bare bone, not everything on the panels works, but the worst are how they fly. They fly like absolute trash, even worse than defaults in FSX and before.

either way, once you start flying high end payware and study level aircraft, its impossible to go back to stock or generic freeware. Even lower grade paywares become unacceptably basic.

nowadays in FS2020 i either fly the stock 172 (with its terrible flight model) or the aerosoft CRJ, with on occasional FBW A32NX (freeware but pretty good, and gets better as they update it, but doesnt hold the candle to aerosoft A320 for FSX). Cant wait for the pmdg 737, that was my favorite to fly in FSX

phatfarmlines

Thu May 12, 2022 2:27 am

r6russian wrote:
default airliners got much better from the junk they gave us in FSX and earlier, but theyre still pretty bad. FMCs are very bare bone, not everything on the panels works, but the worst are how they fly. They fly like absolute trash, even worse than defaults in FSX and before.

either way, once you start flying high end payware and study level aircraft, its impossible to go back to stock or generic freeware. Even lower grade paywares become unacceptably basic.

nowadays in FS2020 i either fly the stock 172 (with its terrible flight model) or the aerosoft CRJ, with on occasional FBW A32NX (freeware but pretty good, and gets better as they update it, but doesnt hold the candle to aerosoft A320 for FSX). Cant wait for the pmdg 737, that was my favorite to fly in FSX

I'm about to be transitioning to FS2020 shortly. I have heard from multiple YouTube review channels that the flight dynamics of the default aircraft are bad.

I was very much a user of freeware aircraft, only purchasing if there wasn't a viable freeware alternative. I've only purchased the PMDG "Lite" series in the past (Beech 1900D), but I may be transitioning to study-level payware. Does PMDG (or other payware models) have an "easy" start-up button as an alternate to the manual start-up procedures?

rotation18L
Topic Author

Thu May 12, 2022 3:01 am

r6russian wrote:

Yep, that's what prompted my question. When I logged on to FS 2020 for the first time, I was amazed at the improvements in the startup procedures in the default aircraft compared to earlier versions, but the sequences still seemed too straightforward to me, so I was thinking they probably don't mimic the real thing. Thanks for clarifying!

Rotation18L

r6russian

Mon May 16, 2022 7:37 pm

phatfarmlines wrote:
I'm about to be transitioning to FS2020 shortly. I have heard from multiple YouTube review channels that the flight dynamics of the default aircraft are bad.

I was very much a user of freeware aircraft, only purchasing if there wasn't a viable freeware alternative. I've only purchased the PMDG "Lite" series in the past (Beech 1900D), but I may be transitioning to study-level payware. Does PMDG (or other payware models) have an "easy" start-up button as an alternate to the manual start-up procedures?

yeah, stock fs2020 planes are pretty bad. I have 40 hours in a real 172 and fs2020 one flies nothing like it. let go of the controls and it flies straight. Real 172 (any single engine prop, really) constantly needs various amounts of right rudder. fs2020 172 you could damn near fly with the arrow keys and no rudder input at all. This is with realism set on max.

as far as starting out with study level aircraft, most come with a dedicated "first flight" manual with a short, like 1hr hop from A to B, with your SID, routing and STAR predetermined, charts for those SIDs and STARs provided, fuel and payload figured out, you just punch in what they tell you and follow directions. Guides you thru presetting fuel and payload, cold and dark startup, FMC programming, flight deck setup, and the entire flight from blocks off to blocks on. I highly recommend doing that first flight because its a structured intro into what a normal flight is in that aircraft. Then after that you can fly where you want, how you want, etc, youll know what to do to make the plane do what you want it to do.

when i fly in msfs, it takes appx an hour before push and start to find a flight i want to fly (i usually look on flightaware for a interesting flight in that particular airplane, its nice because at least in the US, flightaware lists the SID, route and STAR and the filed FL, so i dont have to make my routing up) find SID and STAR charts (airnav.com in the US), back in FSX, download some scenery for the airports if not already downloaded, then do the myriad of preflight checklists and fmc programming. Night and day from loading up the 172 at the threshold and firewalling the throttle, but real life flight ops are a very enjoyable way to fly. After a few flights in a study level aircraft youll never look back at stock or basic freeware again

r6russian

Thu May 19, 2022 8:31 am

Flew my first flight in the pmdg 73g the other day and damn, it flies like a dream. Im an experienced pmdg 737 pilot in fsx, so it was very much install and fly a real world flight right off the rip and its so damn good. Follow the director up to 10000ft before hitting the autopilot and disconnect and hand fly from 10k ft on the way down, it flies like a dream. Stock weather does a great job of turbulence and shit, its almost as good as Activesky Next was in fsx.

One thing i absolutely love about fs2020 is the aircraft behavior on the runway at speed. In real life, even in a 172, once you put the power in, youre working to keep it wings level and on centerline, and in fs2020, the high speed on the ground float feels real, you have to fly the plane all the way from the threshold back to the runway turnoff.

Sound pack in the pmdg 737 is much improved over fsx. Theres no more constant metallic sound of the fsx 737, it sounds like the real thing, instead of sounding like the isolated engine sound that the fsx 737 sounded like. I was pleasantly surprized by the growl i felt thru the floor and my chair from my subwoofer upon introducing fuel on startup, that was missing from the fsx version

We finally got a study level 737 for fs2020, now I cant wait for the fenix a320, its promising to be as good as pmdg

We got stunning visuals, getting some high quality payware aircraft, now all we need is ActiveSky to do their thing to fs2020 and we’ll forgive Asobo for the mockery of ATC they did in fs2020

Thu May 26, 2022 1:43 am

phatfarmlines wrote:
r6russian wrote:

They used to do so in FSX, but I quickly learned how to get the thing started. I had the 747, 777, 737-800/900 and the MD-11.

The MD11 was the one that I found an amazing plane, but didn't particularly like the systems on it, but then it is like the real thing obviously.

I used to get around mostly with Concorde so my expertise was the autopilot it had and the inertial navigation system. So jumping over to these FMC equipped airliners is quite a lot easier. :)

Nowadays I don't have any windows install on any of my Macs so I don't run Flight Sim anymore. I ditched my old FSX install and all of the addons, many payware ones as well. Just didn't care anymore, lost interest.