Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

DarQuiet
Topic Author

Flight Simulator Monitor

Mon May 16, 2022 3:48 am

Hello,

I'm currently in CPL phase (enrolled to program up to A320 type rating) and simming at my 17.3" laptop.

Appreciate if anyone can share recommendation/suggestions/feedback in choosing monitor as I plan to upgrade my setup:

multiple display e.g. 3 monitors vs ultrawide 34"
    screen size if multiple display
    screen size if ultrawide
    flat vs curved
    other considerations to add?

Thank you.

darquiet

trijetsonly

Re: Flight Simulator Monitor

Mon May 30, 2022 12:05 pm

Regarding those other considerations to add:
Consider a VR-Headset instead of a monitor. It's a whole different level of immersion.

r6russian

Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:38 am

i always liked (and is my current setup) 2 monitors. FS in fullscreen on one, my charts and checklists on the other. My screens are pretty old, I run at 1680x1050 on both, they, or my video card are before 4k, but even at 1680 x 1050 its plenty sharp and clear, and a low (lmao low resolution, i remember windows 98 running 640x480 resolution and going up to 1024x768 was mindblowing) resolution helps out with framerates in fs2020 on my older rig.

Ive played xplane 11 in VR on my brothers HTC Vive headset, and besides almost falling straight over from vertigo as i rotated off the runway (definitely be seated for flightsim in VR), it was pretty amazing, besides the rather shitty resolution of a VR headset. And you damn near require a throttle quadrant to go with your joystick or yoke, whatever you got. In Xplane VR, you push a button on your hand units while engaged with a control and it locks them together, so it was pretty easy to lock onto the yoke and throttle in a 172, but when i tried flying a 747, the hand lock locked onto 1 of the 4 throttles and that wasnt a good time on final as you can imagine. Pretty much gonna need a throttle quadrant to properly enjoy FS in VR in my opinion

Boeing757100

Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:49 am

trijetsonly wrote:
Consider a VR-Headset instead of a monitor. It's a whole different level of immersion.

Oh yes. VR while lacking tactile feedback does give the closest amount of immersion as a full motion sim.

However, when you use it first couple of times, you may get migraines which become hard to deal with. It takes some getting used to.

btfarrwm

Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:17 pm

I got a 54" ultrawide ASUS curved monitor for ~$800. I've been very happy with it.

DarQuiet
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2022 5:01 pm

trijetsonly wrote:

Got it. Thanks! Worth checking but will it not make you dizzy while trying to reach for actual flight controls while in VR?

r6russian wrote:
i always liked (and is my current setup) 2 monitors. FS in fullscreen on one, my charts and checklists on the other. My screens are pretty old, I run at 1680x1050 on both, they, or my video card are before 4k, but even at 1680 x 1050 its plenty sharp and clear, and a low (lmao low resolution, i remember windows 98 running 640x480 resolution and going up to 1024x768 was mindblowing) resolution helps out with framerates in fs2020 on my older rig.

Ive played xplane 11 in VR on my brothers HTC Vive headset, and besides almost falling straight over from vertigo as i rotated off the runway (definitely be seated for flightsim in VR), it was pretty amazing, besides the rather shitty resolution of a VR headset. And you damn near require a throttle quadrant to go with your joystick or yoke, whatever you got. In Xplane VR, you push a button on your hand units while engaged with a control and it locks them together, so it was pretty easy to lock onto the yoke and throttle in a 172, but when i tried flying a 747, the hand lock locked onto 1 of the 4 throttles and that wasnt a good time on final as you can imagine. Pretty much gonna need a throttle quadrant to properly enjoy FS in VR in my opinion

I'm using honeycomb flight control and throttle set and thrustmaster for rudder pedals. I do also have thrustmaster sidestick for Airbus but saving it when transitioning to type rating (and have to finish CPL first). Guess I'll have to carefully choose the monitor. Thanks!

btfarrwm wrote:
I got a 54" ultrawide ASUS curved monitor for ~$800. I've been very happy with it.

I saw your awesome setup! Isn't the 54" too big or just about the right size for simming? Thanks!