Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetB
Topic Author

Miniature interactive airport models in airports in the 90s, specifically at MDT.

Mon May 30, 2022 3:22 pm

Ok this one is going to be a long shot, but I figure what the heck, why not ask? I have a very hazy memory of flying out of Harrisburg International Airport (MDT) back in probably around the early '90s, and somewhere in the terminal I think they had like this little interactive model of the airport on display. I seem to remember a few buttons you could push that I think did things like turn on and off the runway lights on the little model and stuff like that. Does anyone know of any model like this that would have been at MDT or really any airport? What happened to them? Are they still around? I realize it's a pretty small airport and a pretty obscure question. And honestly I was really young back then so maybe it was just my five year old brain making it out to be much cooler than it really was. For all I know it could have been a very boring display board and I just thought it was cool because I was a kid and anything with lights was cool back then. :D

Thank you for entertaining this very obscure trip down memory lane for me.

Cubsrule

Re: Miniature interactive airport models in airports in the 90s, specifically at MDT.

Tue May 31, 2022 6:09 pm

I was somewhere recently (TUL?) that had one of these scale models on display. I'll see if I can remember where that was.

Cubsrule

Re: Miniature interactive airport models in airports in the 90s, specifically at MDT.

Tue Jun 07, 2022 3:14 am

I'm back in Tulsa and confirmed that the model I remembered is at TUL, just outside the exit from the secure area on the B side. It's not interactive but is pretty detailed and covers a large area (not just the terminal). I think it's likely from the early 1990s based on the aircraft models used, the most distinctive of which is the 733 incarnation of Lone Star One.

AntonioMartin

Thu Nov 24, 2022 10:00 pm

SJU had one too but with white plastic planes