Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Gonzalo
Topic Author

MSFS2020 Most Annoying Random Glitches and Failures.

Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:00 pm

Hi there, hope some of you here share the same MSFS2020 “addiction” than me.
(Just to be clear, I use MSFS since 1998 and I’m used to a lot of the common glitches of this software and other similar ones, this thread is about two specific problems in the MSFS2020 version ).
I’d like to know, do you have the same glitches in the software? and how do you deal with each one ? Also, if some of you know… is Asobo or other MSFS2020 developers working to solve this problems ? Or are we just stuck with what we got now ?
Reading in other MSFS forums, apparently there are some common glitches that are affecting a lot of users regardless of hardware, add ons, community content, or how you use it ( multiplayer, AI only, etc. ).

In the last months, the two most common occurrences I’m experiencing that are truly annoying :

1.The “Memory could not be read” message followed by a “Crash to Desktop”, which means that your flight ends abruptly and without any chance to save it…. This Is specially annoying when your are on finals and with gear down after a 6 hours flight, but is really frustrating no matter the phase of flight. I’ve tried all kind of solutions, removing third party content ( add ons ), changing different setups, and even removing and reinstalling the whole software, nothing works, this problem arises randomly every 10 or 12 flights average, some times more often, some times less. As far as I know there are people using very high end hardware configs ( up to 64Gb Ram, RTX 3090 and i9 processors ), suffering the same problem. My hardware in not that high, but I think should be more than capable to handle this program ( i7 -11gen + RTX3060 + 16Gb Ram, SSD ).
Any info about how to fix this now or in the future will be really appreciated.

2.This is a new occurrence I’m experiencing lately. I usually keep all the failures ( the ones that you can program within the config ) disabled, in order to complete my flights without more challenge than fly the aircraft correctly. However, for some mysterious reason, I’m experiencing crazy failures in the aircraft without warning and at moments where I’m doing literally nothing but monitor the screens.
As an example, I describe this that happened to me a couple of days ago :
Flying the Airbus 320neo, at cruise, FL380, A/T engaged, A/P 1 engaged, F/D engaged, 2 hours into the flight, more than 11 tons of fuel in the tanks, everything was absolutely normal ( oil pressure, EPR, temperatures ), clear skies… suddenly BOTH engines just QUIT…. Did some of you had this sort of problem ?
To make the things more weird, all the systems apparently worked correctly once I started to deal with the failure, APU started, and on descent I was able to restart one of the engines and land safely with one engine, but it was really weird, I ended the flight and went to the “Failures configuration” section, and all the failures were disabled as usual, therefore this “dual engine failure” was basically a software glitch…. Anyone here with some similar experience? Any info regarding this will be also greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and happy landings to all !!

Gonzalo

btfarrwm

Re: MSFS2020 Most Annoying Random Glitches and Failures.

Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:49 am

I’ve had random failures that weren’t expected as well. I can’t remember specifics, but I also have failures “disabled” in the software. I have problems with random AP disengagement or unexpected maximum and unstable (uncommanded) control inputs. It’s unnerving to be on autopilot in straight-level cruise and see a 90-degree uncommanded deflection of the control yoke! I’ve also had random crashes but I have attributed those to all the plugins I’m running (G1000, ForeFlight/FlightEvents, Logitech, vPilot/PilotEdge). I’ve just written it off as the cost of trying to make a lot of hardware and third party software behave. I do most of my flying in a G1000 C172, so I can understand the frustration of a program crash at the end of a 6-hr flight…but that’s not how I expect to use my simulator.

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:32 pm

btfarrwm wrote:
I’ve had random failures that weren’t expected as well. I can’t remember specifics, but I also have failures “disabled” in the software. I have problems with random AP disengagement or unexpected maximum and unstable (uncommanded) control inputs. It’s unnerving to be on autopilot in straight-level cruise and see a 90-degree uncommanded deflection of the control yoke! I’ve also had random crashes but I have attributed those to all the plugins I’m running (G1000, ForeFlight/FlightEvents, Logitech, vPilot/PilotEdge). I’ve just written it off as the cost of trying to make a lot of hardware and third party software behave. I do most of my flying in a G1000 C172, so I can understand the frustration of a program crash at the end of a 6-hr flight…but that’s not how I expect to use my simulator.

Hi, thanks for sharing your experiences. Although I made a good investment in my hardware and peripherals, I know of some cases with much higher costs involved to have the best of the best, only to find out that no matter how good is your hardware, the old problems of the MSFS are still there. I found really weird and disappointing that the developers were able to create many many small irrelevant details with extreme accuracy, only to fail in correcting much more relevant aspects ( for example the aircraft being instructed to shield and hold position to let a fu****ng truck to cross the intersection first, which is outrageously ridiculous ).

Best Regards!
Gonzalo

Ps762

Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:16 am

Hi Gonzalo,

Firstly many thanks for the thread an posts and I must also make my disclaimer in that I have not unfortunately been able to use any real flightsim since around 2014 maybe but I do have the memories of Fs98, Fs2004 and Fsx and can feel your pain even if from memories only(!) So although I can't fix anything maybe just a few thoughts if curious?:

1. That CTD (crash to desktop) must be very annoying especially since it doesn't seem to choose which systems get it. I can only say that I suffered pretty much the same all through my Fs2004 days. I totally loved Fs2004 though but I was constantly hitting Ctrl-S every 5 or 10 minutes because you never knew(!) I can only think looking back though that maybe moving from Windows98se to Xp at the time might have helped me but even then not sure. My system at the time was a homebuild Sempron with a Geforce 3 which I loved. And I loved Win98se too for the lightness and frames I got if only for the CTD's.

2. Funnily though when Fsx came out though even though I had numerous things I didn't like about it at first (the name even!) I did at least find it super-stable and never really got a crash. By now I was using just more plain PC's though like a Dell Vostro or basic Toshiba Windows 7 laptop. I never really managed to do more complex commercial flights in Fsx but for default aircraft and VFR with photoreal scenery and some nice smaller airfields I did get some happy flights for sure and I never had to worry about Ctrl-S constantly which was great!

3. Sorry also to hear about the random failure thing though as well and to be honest that issue sounds horrendous as well. Combined with the CTD as well phew. I mean that to me would not be playing happy with my whole immersion factor thing. One thing which I might find interesting though is if a person gets the failures but then restarts and loads up the same flight maybe if saved 5 minutes before will the failures come up again in exactly the same place? Hmm but still it wouldn't really help in the long term and as they used to say "where is the patch"?...

4. Again with the ATC behaviour that also doesn't sound like fun and I guess in my case I would have probably just tried to turn off the vehicles if that helped. But then not everyone like me maybe likes desolation...

5. And finally maybe a bit more seriously a question in that does the new MSFS do auto-upgrades and stuff like many new programs and if so does it work? And do they have a semi-good feedback system for sending them such info? Although of course I know MSFS is not exactly Edge or Office365 in terms of scale still I think they would hopefully be trying their best but then what do I know about programming PC games pretty much nothing.

Anyway sorry for going on a bit but thanks for all the posts here at least for me to read and hope things might look a bit brighter in the future (although sadly though I do feel the pain!).

But with many thanks again anyway,

Ps762

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2022 1:32 pm

Ps762 wrote:
Hi Gonzalo,

Firstly many thanks for the thread an posts and I must also make my disclaimer in that I have not unfortunately been able to use any real flightsim since around 2014 maybe but I do have the memories of Fs98, Fs2004 and Fsx and can feel your pain even if from memories only(!) So although I can't fix anything maybe just a few thoughts if curious?:

1. That CTD (crash to desktop) must be very annoying especially since it doesn't seem to choose which systems get it. I can only say that I suffered pretty much the same all through my Fs2004 days. I totally loved Fs2004 though but I was constantly hitting Ctrl-S every 5 or 10 minutes because you never knew(!) I can only think looking back though that maybe moving from Windows98se to Xp at the time might have helped me but even then not sure. My system at the time was a homebuild Sempron with a Geforce 3 which I loved. And I loved Win98se too for the lightness and frames I got if only for the CTD's.

2. Funnily though when Fsx came out though even though I had numerous things I didn't like about it at first (the name even!) I did at least find it super-stable and never really got a crash. By now I was using just more plain PC's though like a Dell Vostro or basic Toshiba Windows 7 laptop. I never really managed to do more complex commercial flights in Fsx but for default aircraft and VFR with photoreal scenery and some nice smaller airfields I did get some happy flights for sure and I never had to worry about Ctrl-S constantly which was great!

3. Sorry also to hear about the random failure thing though as well and to be honest that issue sounds horrendous as well. Combined with the CTD as well phew. I mean that to me would not be playing happy with my whole immersion factor thing. One thing which I might find interesting though is if a person gets the failures but then restarts and loads up the same flight maybe if saved 5 minutes before will the failures come up again in exactly the same place? Hmm but still it wouldn't really help in the long term and as they used to say "where is the patch"?...

4. Again with the ATC behaviour that also doesn't sound like fun and I guess in my case I would have probably just tried to turn off the vehicles if that helped. But then not everyone like me maybe likes desolation...

5. And finally maybe a bit more seriously a question in that does the new MSFS do auto-upgrades and stuff like many new programs and if so does it work? And do they have a semi-good feedback system for sending them such info? Although of course I know MSFS is not exactly Edge or Office365 in terms of scale still I think they would hopefully be trying their best but then what do I know about programming PC games pretty much nothing.

Anyway sorry for going on a bit but thanks for all the posts here at least for me to read and hope things might look a bit brighter in the future (although sadly though I do feel the pain!).

But with many thanks again anyway,

Ps762

Thanks to you, it is always good to know about the other's experiences, brings perspective to your own troubles in this world. It seems to me that despite all the good work regarding graphics and all, the developer's team had little support from real pilots or from someone with real knowledge about how the things work in the airports, otherwise is impossible to understand some of the glitches that we are facing for more than 20 years now.

Best, G.

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:51 pm

Hi again, after some time dedicated to search for answers, I just found a couple of "tutorials" that can be useful for the users experiencing the "memory could not be read" CTD. Links below. Best Regards!

http://mefmobile.org/fix-the-instructio ... t-be-read/

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0f28c87d3d

TheFlyingDisk

Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:12 am

I'm pretty lucky in that my MSFS experience had been somewhat smooth with little issues. The only issues I have are

a) Sometimes the AP on the 747 & 787 doesn't seem to work. Using it on LNAV mode, it would never capture the routing and flies off on an arbitrary routing.
b) This is specific to the 787 - it seems that there are times when I can't jump ahead to say a final if I had programmed to fly a long distance route, due to "lack of fuel" even though I took off with full fuel. Because of this, my long haul flights have been limited to my CaptainSim 777 which isn't that great of an addon to be honest.

Ps762

Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:55 am

Hi (again thanks!),

Firstly I guess just to say many thanks again for the posts and to Gonzalo too cool that you found some additional information that might help and for posting it too. Hopefully it might but if only it always did with Microsoft(!) Also sorry maybe going off topic a bit but if curious maybe just two more small thoughts?

1. Regarding MS not knowing or using real pilots and experiences I guess I can see the point(!) But on the other hand I think for me I believe they do know much of this stuff but maybe it is more the nature of making such a product? I can only think like such glaring issues like moving vehicles come about because everything is done in segments by smaller teams. Then when they put it all together and some things are crazy out there is no time to go back and maybe the subteam that made the vehicles for example might have moved on to something else months ago so you are stuck with it? And again with the long-term stability maybe again it's just having the time to really beta-test and with long-flight simmers too. Maybe there just isn't the time for the team to do tons of that so in a way we the end-users become kind of beta testers sometimes without wanting to be. Well that's how it used to feel like anyway but still for me for many years I could still just about love it(!)

2. And another thought sorry again going off topic and also not wanting to start an Apple/Microsoft war but regarding my experiences with Macs and stuff more over the last few years. I'm no Mac expert and to be honest have made loads of great use of their stuff too more recently. But they of course work well however on the rare occasion that one's Mac becomes corrupted I really wouldn't wish that on anyone! I thought Windows problems were bad until a very rare occasion or two when my Osx went offline (probably I must admit due to my own fiddling!). But it wasn't pretty and to me made Microsoft problems look like minor quirks(!)

Anyway sorry for going off topic and not to make light of issues in MSfs which are serious and stuff but just kinda wanted to share that (sorry!).

Anyway with many thanks again,

Ps762

Gonzalo
Topic Author

Tue Jun 07, 2022 4:56 pm

Ps762 wrote:
Hi (again thanks!),

Firstly I guess just to say many thanks again for the posts and to Gonzalo too cool that you found some additional information that might help and for posting it too. Hopefully it might but if only it always did with Microsoft(!) Also sorry maybe going off topic a bit but if curious maybe just two more small thoughts?

1. Regarding MS not knowing or using real pilots and experiences I guess I can see the point(!) But on the other hand I think for me I believe they do know much of this stuff but maybe it is more the nature of making such a product? I can only think like such glaring issues like moving vehicles come about because everything is done in segments by smaller teams. Then when they put it all together and some things are crazy out there is no time to go back and maybe the subteam that made the vehicles for example might have moved on to something else months ago so you are stuck with it? And again with the long-term stability maybe again it's just having the time to really beta-test and with long-flight simmers too. Maybe there just isn't the time for the team to do tons of that so in a way we the end-users become kind of beta testers sometimes without wanting to be. Well that's how it used to feel like anyway but still for me for many years I could still just about love it(!)

2. And another thought sorry again going off topic and also not wanting to start an Apple/Microsoft war but regarding my experiences with Macs and stuff more over the last few years. I'm no Mac expert and to be honest have made loads of great use of their stuff too more recently. But they of course work well however on the rare occasion that one's Mac becomes corrupted I really wouldn't wish that on anyone! I thought Windows problems were bad until a very rare occasion or two when my Osx went offline (probably I must admit due to my own fiddling!). But it wasn't pretty and to me made Microsoft problems look like minor quirks(!)

Anyway sorry for going off topic and not to make light of issues in MSfs which are serious and stuff but just kinda wanted to share that (sorry!).

Ps762

Hi ! I know nothing about software design or how the developers established the sequences for traffic, for example. But I would expect that, after the 2004 Century of Flight edition, if not before, thousands of users ( many airline pilots among them ) have been providing feedback and inputs about how to improve the software. Heck! you can just read some random forums about the topic for ten minutes and you'll have a handful of suggestions and ideas about what needs to be better and why. The visuals and graphic quality of this 2020 edition are amazing, contrails looks like contrails, the lights, etc. etc.... But then you have AI traffic instructing a Boeing 787 to shield and give way to a baggage handler in a small tractor.... it is just so annoying !!! Anyway, I just can't believe that this example is a glitch so impossible to solve, specially with a software that has been evolving since 1982 !!! ... and again, this is only an example, there are other similar stuff.

I can't give you any feedback about Apple since I'm not a user of their computers...( although I love the iPhone, specially the last one, the battery resilience is just outstanding!! )

Best Regards!
G.

Boeing757100

Wed Jun 08, 2022 8:08 am

Oh god, finally a thread here on this subject!!!

I mainly use the Salty Simulations 747-8 for my flights. I tried to fly from DXB-ATL one night and I let my PC run in the night so when I woke up, I would be at the top of descent and could start the descent. However, when I woke up, the game started becoming really laggy and crashed to desktop shortly after.

Not to mention, TPAC flights are horrible because for whatever reason, on the ND, the route just loops around instead of going in a straight line. I tried flying NRT-ATL once and this happened to me. And for whatever reason, the game just froze somewhere around ANC and I couldn't get it to unfreeze, so I had to just restart the computer. It might have been my PC but I have no idea why I can't do long haul flights.
https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/tr ... ing/455261

Ps762

Wed Jun 08, 2022 11:58 pm

Hi (again thanks!),

So apologies just kind of wanted to post again and just if curious this time I am posting from my old Mac. So far so good but who knows hopefully(!)

Anyway just again if curious maybe a few more random thoughts?

1. I was thinking about such issues as AI traffic a bit more and was thinking that maybe programming such aspects might present more problems because they might require more programming or maths ability so might just be harder to do than graphics? I have no idea really but maybe graphics stuff can kind of be imported off-the-shelf as it were but such things like AI it has to be done more manually. Or really good AI shelf stuff might be available but is proprietary owned by governments who knows...

2. The story of flying from DXB-ATL and leaving the PC overnight definitely reminded me of Fs2004. I can pretty much garauntee that if I had done that back with my old Fs2004/Win98se setup 15 years ago I would have woken up to a nice clean and tidy windows desktop. Fs would have shut down who knows when during the night but at least the desktop would be running well(!)

3. And finally this is kind of off-topic but regarding lags? Just if curious really I am now a visually impaired PC user and use a Windows feature called Narrator to navigate mostly. Again kinda typical MS the new Win 10 narrator is totally excellent but often builds up big big lags when on quite a few websites like online shopping etc.. No idea why but in this particular scenario luckily for me just hitting the Windows key twice brings me right where I was and back at full speed. Who knows(!)...

4. And finally finally I guess the only thing I might have tried with trans-oceanic problems might have been to try and program waypoints in the style of real-world oceanic tracks? But then maybe that is being done already or is built in now. Still sorry to still hear of such kind of basic happenings.

Anyway many thanks again for the info. I keep hearing how good the visuals are now which is great. But maybe for stability the coders might need to start hiring or consulting with some real critical systems people? Maybe that might be extreme but a little more system redundancy might be good even in a sim?

Anyway sorry again that was probably a bit random and long but with many thanks again,

Ps762

r6russian

Sat Jun 11, 2022 5:44 pm

glad i dont have any of those issues., FS2020 runs smooth as butter for me

the thing that i hate is that Asobo made a gorgeous VFR videogame with a good weather engine, but a terrible simulator. As far as simulation, FSX and even FS2004 were far better. Stock planes, were expected to be pretty bad but nobody expected how awful they are. ATC is absolute garbage, in speed of speech, terminology (its obvious they didnt listen to 1 minute of any real ATC when programming it in fs2020), and all the known issues with flight handling by the ATC. They gave us an option of programming a flightplan in the world map, pic SIDs and STARs, but it always picks the wrong transitions, and you cant change them. Recent update completely wiped out the nav database, theres no more typing in a waypoint name and having it show up on the map.

They put in so much stuff but did all of it half assed instead of back in FSX and before, they just didnt put any of it in in the first place. And it seems like, from all the complaining online, that theyre not bothering with any fixes or improvements, at least on the PC version, but pumping out updates for the Xbox, so its obvious Asobo and microsoft are treating fs2020 like an arcade videogame, and not as a flight training tool that the older FS versions were. So whatever we got, thats what we get. Theres no hope of the old pause system instead of the garbage they gave us, and dont even get me started on how atrocious the view commands are. Is it end or insert. or insert then end. or insert, then F then CTRL+number then end then insert again, its absolute trash compared to the simple S to switch views and A to jump around inside the flight deck.

great VFR flying videogame, shitty simulator with no hope for Asobo to make it better. Hope payware steps in and gives us what we need to make it a enjoyable sim experience instead of using it in spite of itself

Ps762

Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:32 am

Hi (again thanks!),

So apologies for writing again but just to say many thanks (as a kind of outsider now) for the most recent post here too which I found pretty interesting and could kind of also agree with such frustrating situations.

I guess for me the pause and view change issues would be a big thing as well probably. I mean those key combinations for example do sound kind of crazy to me(!)

But in a way it does also to me sound a bit like the usual msfs progress speed? Although of course this time the gap was much longer but back during Fs2004/Fsx/Fs98 times for me each new release always seemed to have worked on maybe one or two big things, ignored a lot of others and for one or two ms would kind of go backwards. I have no idea why it was like that but it just always seemed to be. Always leave them wanting more I guess...

But at least for me now just listening to people and not flying now the graphics and frame rates do seem to have now got a lot better which sounds good. And as for the ATC it has kind of got me thinking back to how I used to do IFR flights back in Fs2004/Fsx. The transition to approach thing I think never worked but somehow with no Ai traffic I think or little I would still fly the SID's and STAR's and somehow be able to not lose final contact? It was a bit weird though like I was flying all this stuff but ATC really didn't care. I felt a little foolish but didn't mind as long as when I got near my destination or my initial route fix they talked to me again(!)

Anyway sorry to be writing again but just to say many thanks, sorry again for the bad stuff but at least from my point many thanks again for the trip down memory lane.

Ps762

btfarrwm

Sun Jun 12, 2022 5:24 am

Ps762 wrote:

as for the ATC it has kind of got me thinking back to how I used to do IFR flights back in Fs2004/Fsx. The transition to approach thing I think never worked but somehow with no Ai traffic I think or little I would still fly the SID's and STAR's and somehow be able to not lose final contact? It was a bit weird though like I was flying all this stuff but ATC really didn't care. I felt a little foolish but didn't mind as long as when I got near my destination or my initial route fix they talked to me again(!)

Ps762

Doing live ATC with VATSIM or PilotEdge is really the only way to go for ATC. It's simple to sign up for and download. VATSIM is free, but PilotEdge is a subscription. They are real-time with real people acting as controllers. When I'm logged on with VATSIM or PilotEdge, I ignore the built-in ATC interface entirely and just talk to ATC like I would in a real plane.

Ps762

Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:02 pm

btfarrwm wrote:

Doing live ATC with VATSIM or PilotEdge is really the only way to go for ATC. It's simple to sign up for and download. VATSIM is free, but PilotEdge is a subscription. They are real-time with real people acting as controllers. When I'm logged on with VATSIM or PilotEdge, I ignore the built-in ATC interface entirely and just talk to ATC like I would in a real plane.

Hi (again thanks!),

Just to say many thanks for this although sorry for going slightly off-topic again.

Sounds good though and to be honest being out of Fs for a while I've never really heard of PilotEdge until now but will definitely try and look it up. Definitely I can imagine all that stuff must be much more real and cool that it works well as well (faster systems can only help and better microphones than the old days!).

Maybe that could be one plus of the pause issue though. Could it maybe make the online multiplayer world work better because nowone is pausing whilst 3rd on finals going into an international airport? Actually maybe that wasn't ever allowed by the organizations before the issue?...

But sorry again am kinda going off a bit but many thanks again some food for thought on my side and stuff so thanks again,

Ps762