Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Ps762
Topic Author

Strange Things that you came across whilst spotting?

Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:54 am

Hi,

Firstly apologies if this question is a bit vague and not in the right forum exactly please feel free to move if needed etc..

But anyway as an ex-spotter of sorts I was and am often thinking back to those days for me anda few things came up as I remember my times wandering mostly around London airports since those were closest for me. So as regards to what I thought was unusual maybe a quick list might help and any contributions if anything comes to mind are welcome?:

1. At Heathrow/LHR there is/was a self-contained Barclays bank near the threshold for 27L I think near Hatton Cross tube station. Strange for me since it was almost like a drive-through of sorts kind of in the middle of not much?

2. Also near LhR27L and outside Hatton Cross there was a quite ornate (from the outside) and mostly always working automated lavatory. Now obviously for me walking and looking at planes this was great but as many people who live or visit London such items are not everywhere for sure and for some reason one is outside Hatton Cross tube station. Not that I was complaining though(!)

3. I always remember the time when cycling round Stansted airport (North of London) when I came across a section with cars parked by a long hedge. I ventured through the hedge and found quite a few people spotting which was great. A pretty nice view from behind the fence and definitely an afternoon I remember pretty fondly (maybe around 2005).

4. Having often driven round and around London Gatwick again looking mostly for any aircraft passing overhead I came across a pub called The Airman I think maybe towards the 8R threshold end. I'm not sure if it's still there or called that and I don't think it was one with particularly great views but I did at least eventually I think have a drink outside maybe around 2008.

To be honest though there are/were probably lots of small quirky things or places that I came across in my years searching for a constant stream of planes to watch but at the moment maybe just those come to mind but I just thought it might be interesting just in case others have had any similar experiences in trekking to any airports or airfields big or small really.

Anyway with many thanks again and hope the question was not too far out there sorry(!),

Ps762

AntonioMartin

Re: Strange Things that you came across whilst spotting?

Sat Oct 01, 2022 11:42 am

When I was nine on a spotting trip at SJU, a huge fight formed between two gangs...guns, baseball bats and everything...luckily, my mom told me to pretend I was sick. I did , and the gang members (and police) let us get through to "get medical help" lol...this was at Pinones beach by SJU