Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Your longest flight sim flights?

Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:31 pm

Since I'm finally getting a week off for fall break from school, I've had more time for flight simming, and so I thought it'd be fun to compile my longest flights in FS2020.

I mostly fly in the Salty Simulations 747-8i, as there's few other widebodies for the sim that are not payware, or are not just an exterior model with a random cockpit in it.

And since I'm a DL and ATL fanboy, most of the longest flights I did with ATL as a destination/origin and most of them were in a DL livery.

Here's my list:

1. ATL-BOM-ATL
2. ATL-PVG-ATL
3. DXB-ATL
4. ATL-DOH-ATL (this one was in QR livery)
5. NRT-ATL
6. ISL-ATL
7. SOF-ATL
8. ATL-HNL-ATL
9. ATL-LHR

Tried to do ATL-DEL but game crashed nearly every time, so I gave up. In the future, I want to do ATL-ICN/JNB/KWI and perhaps another flight from India. (MAA or HYD perhaps, but those are out of range unless I carry literally zero payload)

JNB is gonna be fun, because I'm probably gonna be heavily loaded with fuel and have to push the 747-8 to its absolute limit in the hot/high JNB airport. BOM was scary enough on the westbound leg; was just under range for the 747. In fact, I used derated thrust to save fuel and I ended up using nearly the whole runway, and I basically was only a couple hundred feet above all the houses and apartments at the end of runway 09. Had to plan a step climb for that one!

BWIAirport

Re: Your longest flight sim flights?

Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:42 pm

All on P3Dv4 or 5:
JFK-MNL PR B77W 18:54
SFO-BLR AI B77L 17:24
SFO-SIN UA B789 16:59
DRW-LHR QF B789 16:38
DEL-JFK AI B77W 16:03
JNB-EWR UA B789 15:55

AirKevin

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:19 pm

Now are you talking about longest single flight or longest session, because I could give you two completely different answers.

Wed Sep 28, 2022 11:43 pm

I did SYD-DFW with a unladen PMDG 747-400 in FSX. I had just the full fuel load and nothing else. It was just over 16 hours non stop. I used a real world QF7 flight plan.

MavyWavyATR

Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:52 am

The longest I've done (in terms of flight time) was ANC-JFK nonstop with an A321neo. The total flight time on this one was 6 hours & 45 minutes and the cruise altitude was 32000 ft. Departed at like 8:40 at night and didn't arrive until 3:25 the next morning. It was long & tiring, but doable.

My flight sim of choice? It's one called GeoFS and I've been flying on there for over a decade now (logged roughly 529 flight hours as of this reply, not including time before they started keeping track).

flyingturtle

Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:20 am

I guess only two of my sim flights were longer than 45 minutes... one of them was criss-crossing the British Isles with a Concorde. Swooping down into the fog, practicing ILS approaches, doing touches & goes at about seven different airports.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:59 pm

AirKevin wrote:
Now are you talking about longest single flight or longest session, because I could give you two completely different answers.

I guess longest single flight but you could really talk about both! :)

N965UW

Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:47 pm

IAH-SYD (United B789)
JFK-ICN (Atlas Air B744)
SFO-BOM (United B789)
BOM-JFK (American B77W)
EWR-BOM (United B772)
EWR-PVG (United B772)
JNB-EWR (United B78X)

All in FSX with the sim rate set to 16x in cruise :)

As far as longest time actually spent per sim session, I often fly around in light GA aircraft for 2+ hours at a time, and sometimes I'll do an entire 2 ish hour flight down the east coast in real time.

Even for the flights I speed up, I find that it often takes about 3 hours per flight after you factor in the flight planning, fuel planning, setup, and actual flying.

Boeing757100
Topic Author

Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm

N965UW wrote:
All in FSX with the sim rate set to 16x in cruise :)

If only FS2020 didn't glitch soo much when I set to increase sim rate. Even 4x higher sim rate gives me problems. It took me around 2 and a half hours to do BOM-ATL sped up because the sim rate was really laggy.

AirKevin

Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:49 pm

Boeing757100 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Longest single flight was JFK-HKG in the Boeing 777-200ER at 15 hours 1 minute. Longest single session was JFK-SVO-ICN-NRT-JFK at 33 hours 10 minutes. All of it flown in real-time on VATSIM.

Ps762

Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:44 am

Hi,

Firstly many thanks for the thread definitely some interesting routes posted and stuff not to mention the endurance factor. And please bear in mind that I am coming more from the point of someone remeniscing about days and nights gone by flying mostly at the time in Fs2004 I guess. But anyway if curious just from my memories of the (I admit not that often) times I did try longer flights:

1. LHR-ORd probably in a UA or AA 777 or 747 maybe. It's a nice day spent if one has the time and for me I always did realtime only (that's how I roll!). I tried to take off around 10am here in London around the same time as the actual flight, follow a real-world plan if I could and took mini-breaks and listened to American radio or TV live enroute for cultural immersion(!) Really kinda nice but like in real life the flying over Canada part takes a bit. But used to love looking up all those North Atlantic tracks and stuff and would try to use a current one from those too maybe(!)

2. Similarly I did a Westbound overnight cargo run across the Atlantic from London Stansted probably in a FedEx painted 777F (maybe not 100% accurate not sure). That I also remember being kinda nice but maybe a little lonely but nice to arrive in New York or Chicago maybe. I tended often to Chicago because it's a place where I had visited with family in the real world.

3. A cool GA flightsim memory but not one flight was when I found a cool blog/trip report that a real GA pilot had online of a trip from the mainland US up to Anchorage via British Columbia and stuff. That was a great trip in Fs for me and I tried to install airports and scenery as I progressed and used websites like Airnav.com (the days of dial-up modem!)

4. And finally maybe a GA one that I don't think I ever did but wanted to? After coming across a trip report by a couple of pilots ferrying a light single-engine plane from the US or Canada to Europe via Greenland and maybe Iceland I kind of always wanted to try that. It would have been cool maybe but the whole ferry fuel tanks was maybe not possible plus I think for me maybe my endurance for long, cold nights (even if simulated!) maybe gave way by then!

Anyway hope this kind of worked and wasn't too long-winded and stuff but with many thanks again for the new routes and chance to relive my own memories,

Ps762

r6russian

Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:57 pm

Flew plenty of East coast - asia stuff back when i was a kid in the fs2002 and fs9 years. Take off and climb to cruise at night before bed, pause. wake up, unpause and let it fly while im in school. get home and be a few hours from top of drop.
I was flying like garbage back then. Freeware planes from the likes of MelJet and Posky, full tanks, direct GPS, etc. Didnt know any better as a kid, and payware back then wasnt what its like now

Nowadays its payware only, real flight plans, simbrief flight planning, no time compression, Only gripe is there are no controllers on Vatsim anymore, no matter where im flying. But now it takes like at least 1 extra hour on top of block time to fly a flight when you add in all the preflight prep. But way more enjoyable way to fly, even if i get to fly maybe 1 flight a month

KPTKRampy

Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 pm

The first flight I did when I got the flight factor A350-900, LAX-DOH. Took forever to fill the MCDU with the flight plan, but was a ton of fun since I had ATC out of LA, Europe, and coming into Doha.

CarlosSi

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:05 am

Before I forget them all:

SYD-DFW QF a380
DFW-HKG AA 77W
DFW-DXB UAE 77L?
TPE-IAH Eva 77W
AKL-SFO 747
AKL-IAH? ANZ 787 (un-verified)
SIN-EWR SQ a350? I can’t remember if I actually finished it. Unfortunately the flight was cut short because it was closed.

A bunch of other transpacífics but nothing super South Asia directly from LAX or SFO.

I want to run SYD-IAH as UA100 soon once I’m done flying in that part of the world.

CarlosSi

Wed Nov 30, 2022 2:07 am

r6russian wrote:
Flew plenty of East coast - asia stuff back when i was a kid in the fs2002 and fs9 years. Take off and climb to cruise at night before bed, pause. wake up, unpause and let it fly while im in school. get home and be a few hours from top of drop.
I was flying like garbage back then. Freeware planes from the likes of MelJet and Posky, full tanks, direct GPS, etc. Didnt know any better as a kid, and payware back then wasnt what its like now

Nowadays its payware only, real flight plans, simbrief flight planning, no time compression, Only gripe is there are no controllers on Vatsim anymore, no matter where im flying. But now it takes like at least 1 extra hour on top of block time to fly a flight when you add in all the preflight prep. But way more enjoyable way to fly, even if i get to fly maybe 1 flight a month

I’ll time it and run the flight while asleep! Wake up and land. Most recent one was FRA-HND, on a NH 779. Works only if the timing is right.

I still do POSKY, but I have simbrief and try to use charts when available. Lately I haven’t bothered since I’m lazy about finding the right jeppesen chart that’s not too outdated (if international).

AirKevin

Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:49 am

AirKevin wrote:
Boeing757100 wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Longest single flight was JFK-HKG in the Boeing 777-200ER at 15 hours 1 minute. Longest single session was JFK-SVO-ICN-NRT-JFK at 33 hours 10 minutes. All of it flown in real-time on VATSIM.

As of two days ago, my longest single session is now JFK-BOM-AKL-IAH-JFK at 49 hours. All on VATSIM in real time.

0hAerqplane

Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:36 am

SFO-SAN 388 nm in Infinite Flight. On a United Airlines 737-700. Plane went upside down when I started descending.

dhdaviation

Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:11 am

ooohh interesting thread

I think the longest I've done on flight sim is Air France B777 from Paris CDG to Los Angeles....pretty satisfied upon landing.

And then, I was not satisfied, I flew again, albeit on a short flight, A220 from Incheon to Bangkok

LizardmanXD

Sun Jan 01, 2023 8:34 am

KSFO-WSSS 16.7hr
POSKY Boeing 747-400

slick1017

Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:19 pm

The longest flight I simmed was definitely SYD - JFK, probably something like 18 hours. I started the sim in the evening and slept through most of the cruise portion, ate lunch then returned and landed. I did that flight on an empty 787 well before I had any idea what kind of impact weight had on flight performance.

The longest flight I flew manually before I learned how to use autopilot was NRT - SFO. I remember I would keep fluctuating from FL250 to FL400 on the default B744. Passengers must have had a bumpy ride!

csturdiv

Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:40 am

Like the above posts, back in my Flight Sim days (must've been FSX) I did LAX to SYD in a Posky 747-400. Much like above, I started on a Friday evening, took off and when ATc had me change over when I got to my FL, I changed but didn't acknowledge ATC. I let autopilot do it's thing overnight and after waking up, I monitored the flight (via the GPS and an add-on called FS Navigator) and as I got about 150 miles out, I said hello to the FSX ATC and finished the flight.

I do have Prepar3D, I think v4.5, but haven't done a single flight. I started customising the AI and installing FlyTampa SYD that I bought l, but stopped installing AI after installing a few airlines and haven't touched it again, must be 3 years now

Mikenike

Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:38 pm

Mine was either PANC-EGLL (over Canada, not an Artic run) or PHNL-EGLL (across mainland USA). I took off at about 8 that evening and flew all night and for most of that day. I didn't want to do my second leg after that, which was EGLL-VHHH on both flights. I waited about a day after and finished that leg, and flew the VHHH-PANC/PHNL the following day. I then proceeded to take a week bouncing around the British Isles and Europe. Long haul routes are fun, but I don't care to do more than three big legs in a row, and neither does my computer. I have no idea why I chose Heathrow as my destination for either flight, I wanted something familiar and some nice scenery to look at after a long flight. Hindsight 20/20 I should have flown to Miami because of the weather, I had left in a storm, for the PANC flight, and arrived in rain, in both cases, but you live and you learn I suppose.

9lflyguy

Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:28 pm

I do a lot of short flights. I love doing regional hops and get more fun out of the takeoff and landing phase then I do just cruising so some of my sessions incllude things like

IAH-LIT-EWR-IAD-MCI-IAH in the ERJ-145.
LIT-DEN-SEA-DEN-XNA in the A320
LIT-LAS-PHX-ABQ-SAT-DAL in the 737

I did a bush hop in MSFS when it first came out that had like 15 stops in it in one day.

Longest single flight is probably ORD - CDG and that was in the 777.

EAGaviation

Fri May 12, 2023 3:48 am

longest single session, MEX-LAX-TPE-KUL, LHR-SIN-SYD BA 77W & AKL-HKG-LHR NZ 772

longest n/s(not orderly)
JFK-JNB SAA A346
BOM-ATL DL 77L
JFK-JNB BR 77W
AKL-DOH QR 77L
LAX-DXB EK 77W
LHR-PER QF 789
YYZ-HKG AC 77W
HKG-JFK CX A346
LAX-BKK TG A346

Flyingsottsman

Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:36 am

Hi everyone well after a year waiting for my computer to come back, a very good friend of mine rebuilt my pc and she is a wizard at it t, I got my flight sim back and I did a long haul Air New Zealand flight from Heathrow to Los Angeles that was over night then LA to Auckland another over night then finished the flight doing Auckland back to my home airport of Melbourne so great to have it back, Still using FSX and Traffic X works great for me does what I want it to do and also enjoying scheduling flights and filling up airports again, and about to do Melbourne to Nandi which my family will be doing for real Sunday week, That's been my longest long haul so far.

YYZSpeedbird939

Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:17 am

CX B77W YYZ-HKG on Infinite Flight, sped up of course :mrgreen:

Ruddman

Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:14 pm

Recently JFK-NRT. Using RFP 747-200 with the FDE modelled on UA’s 742 with -7R4G2 motors. INS nav.
12:52 hrs.

Sitting there basically the whole time. The Civa INS can have failures. As well as having to input the next waypoints. And also the need to monitor the fuel balance / tanks etc.
Cross checking the simbrief FP with fuel burn etc. I don’t always fly real time with wx, usually historic, so the winds can be slightly off on the flight plan. So a lot of checking the charts and flight plan and trying to get the best miles to the gallon as they say with step climbs (or no climbs depending on winds etc).

I love my classic 747’s. :))

AndrewJM70

Sat Dec 16, 2023 8:19 pm

I flew the Airbus 321LR around the world in MSFS 2020. Longest flight was MNL-HNL which from memory was around 9 hours.

vhqpa

Mon Jan 29, 2024 1:04 pm

I done so many over the years that I've lost track of what I've done

Longest (w/time compression): Probably LFBO-NWWW in a POSKY A340-200 in what must have been FS9. I was planning to fly to Auckland, but got low on fuel so made a splash and go in Noumea.

First longish flight (real time): YMML-WSSS in a POSKY 747-400 on FS9. In multiple sessions.

Once I got FSX:Steam and invested in payware add ons I routinely did longhauls in real time over multiple sessions. The longest probably being YPPH-EGLL in the PMDG 777-200LR. My most regular long haul sector I used to do was between YBBN and KLAX in each direction mainly the PMDG 747-400, but sometimes the 777.

In a single session it would have been CYHZ-EGKK-CYHZ in an all day marathon session in the PMDG 737 NGX.

I also did a couple round the world trips in the PMDG 737 NGX where I'd do a whole sector in a session. A sample routing would be something like YBBN-NFFN-PHNL-KSFO-KJFK-CYYT-EGLL-LOWW-OMDB-VOMM-WSSS-YPDN-YBBN.

The funnest had to be TXKF-EGKK in a Captainsim 707 using the CIVA INS. It had to be done in one session as I recall you couldn't properly load a save state with the CIVA INS.

Also not longhaul but the Project Tupolev Tu-154 was such a blast and a real sense of accomplishment when you worked out how to use the soviet navigation systems, using QFE instead of QNH, and manually adjusting the navigation instruments for the variation in magnetic deviation between departure and destination airports. Also quite a learning curve of getting used to metric units for speed, distance and altitude (despite using the metric system day to day all my life). I can't remember all the ICAO codes but I did a milkrun from Moscow/Domodedovo to Vladivostok, stopping at I think Yekaterinburg, Novosibirsk, Omsk and Khabarovsk. Using the soviet equivalent of Doppler navigation with RSBN corrections the entire way.

I really do miss flight simming.

Q

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:49 am

Last August, I flew Melbourne-San Franciso on United 787-9 it took me 13 hrs and 5 minutes. I flew 777 a long time ago, LAX-SYD United 14 hrs. ATL-DXB on Delta 777 14 hrs. LHR-BAH British 777 about 7 hrs. Last year, Jan '23. KEF-BWI on Icelandair 737 MAX8 5 hours 30 mins. All are FS2004. I still using FS2004 it rocks!

Q

af773atmsp

Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:06 pm

My longest routes that I can remember on X Plane 9:
PHX-HNL, I believe with an AA 763
MSP-LHR or LHR-MSP with a BA 772
MSP-KEF with a FI 752

CPH-R

Sat Mar 09, 2024 11:11 am

The longest I can recall doing was BKK-CPH with an Aerosoft A330, though I walked to and from the PC during that.

For a good while I had the DXDIAG issue, which meant I could rarely do any worthwhile flights, since Prepar3D would lock up after a very short time.

I'm going to "reset" my PC in the near future, and I plan on reinstalling Prepar3D first, so I can do a flight from the US east coast to Asia, either with the PMDG B777 or the QW B787 while I reinstall all the other games and programs I have.

AirKevin

Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:25 pm

CPH-R wrote:
For a good while I had the DXDIAG issue, which meant I could rarely do any worthwhile flights, since Prepar3D would lock up after a very short time.

I'm going to "reset" my PC in the near future, and I plan on reinstalling Prepar3D first, so I can do a flight from the US east coast to Asia, either with the PMDG B777 or the QW B787 while I reinstall all the other games and programs I have.

I assume this is P3D V5?

CPH-R

Sat Mar 09, 2024 7:51 pm

AirKevin wrote:
CPH-R wrote:

I assume this is P3D V5?

Correct. Thankfully a recent'ish driver update from AMD has reduced the issue substantially, so I can now do longer flights once more.

AirKevin

Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:45 pm

CPH-R wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
CPH-R wrote:

I assume this is P3D V5?

Correct. Thankfully a recent'ish driver update from AMD has reduced the issue substantially, so I can now do longer flights once more.

I don't know if this would help.

https://youtu.be/EYPlSKb3Z4g?si=oHaco18pjQWz_4tV&t=21

AKL321NX

Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:23 am

Real world to sim flights:
SIN-EWR
JFK-AKL
PER-LHR

For giggles:
MEL-MLB