Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Thrustmaster vs Honeycomb hardware sets for MSFS2020

Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:44 pm

I've finally converted to MSFS2020 after using FSX for 16 years :old:

I'm now having a hard look at some of the hardware used by some of the YouTube streamers (great platform btw to advertise hardware, hence why I am asking).

I've used a trusty Logitech Attack3 joystick that I purchased back in 2005, and it still works today.

But I have been intrigued by some of the hardware that has been coming out as of late.

The Thrustmaster series (which I believe is owned by Logitech), and the Honeycomb Aeronautical kits.

The Thrustmaster series appears to offer Airbus replicas of the joystick and the throttle quadrant, likewise also offers a 787 replica of the yoke and throttle quadrants.. The throttle quadrants for both replicas can be expanded to 4-engine configurations, but those have to be purchased separately.

The Honeycomb Aeronautical series offers an interchangeable throttle quadrant, which can be set up for 2-4 engine commercial aircraft, as well as switch to general aviation aircraft. The Honeycomb Aeronautical also offers a yoke setup, and has a joystick setup, but it looks like they have been having supply issues with getting the joystick released.

Both companies appear to generally get good reviews, though having custom Thrustmaster Airbus/Boeing joysticks/yokes and throttle quadrants makes it more expensive to purchase.

The Honeycomb Aeronautical appears to be the best value overall, but the throttle quadrant appears to be more bulky, and there are supply issues with manufacturing their joystick.

I haven't even thought about the rudders for the two companies, but can appreciate input on which rudder models work out for everyone.

Re: Thrustmaster vs Honeycomb hardware sets for MSFS2020

Tue Oct 18, 2022 10:50 pm

The Thrustmaster throttles can be set up for four engine aircraft, even the Airbus ones, you just buy a second throttle unit and couple them together as you said.

The Thrustmaster one seems good, the Thrustmaster Airbus side stick also seems good. I've had them for a few months now, I was using them a lot but that's slow down now I'm doing more time trying to get my fitness back in order (for my recovery).

I have the rudder pedals from Thrustmaster but haven't been able to get them to work in a nice fashion on FS2020 - they seem to have no progression at all and are sneeze sensitive. Tiny little movement makes the plane behave wildly. This might be an FS2020 config issue.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:34 am

Thrustmaster is not owned by Logitech, but by the French Guillemot Corporation.

You are right that the Thrustmaster combination is expensive, but there is a cheaper Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS Flight Pack which comes with rudder pedals, throttle & joystick. I bought it a few months back and it is certainly good. The catch is you give up having the feel of flying a jetliner, swapping it for a fighter jet instead.

But I do have the same problem as cpd on the rudder pedals, so again it might just be an FS2020 config issue.

AirKevin

Thu Oct 20, 2022 11:48 am

Biggest issue for me about the Honeycomb throttle quadrant is the thrust levers are too small. My friend went from the Saitek throttles to the Honeycomb and the Saitek thrust levers we're bigger.

phatfarmlines
Topic Author

Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:37 pm

After watching various YouTube videos on the products, I decided to cave in on the Thrustmaster products. I'm looking forward to them!

Altimeter2992

Thu Jan 19, 2023 9:31 am

I have the Thrustmaster side stick and throttle quadrant but I can not get it to properly function with FSX SE.