Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

miller22
Topic Author

Making Of A New Airline Simulation Game

Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:33 am

I'm in the process of researching and coding a multiplayer airline simulation game. Already I, and my
colleagues, have come up with complex demand equations and have done some hard research into
aircraft costs and attributes for the game. We plan on including such ideas as:

Renting Gates
Building Terminals
Building Mx Facilities
Buying and Selling aircraft on an open market
code-shares
stocks
labor disputes
buying and leasing aircraft
Realistic city demand

The work going into this game is not intended to ultimately profit from it, since we all feel there is a
huge lacking in this part of the software industry. Please, please send suggestions as to what you
would like to see in an airline simulation. It is planned to have about 50 airlines per game, and different
games will start with different areas of the world being emphasized.

Thanx in advance for all of your suggestions

ericCieslar

RE: Making Of A New Airline Simulation Game

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:13 am

i dont really have any sujestions but good luck

N139J

Sun Apr 22, 2001 10:14 am

i am in the same boat...no suggestions but wish you the best of luck.
-Jason
N139J

Air Taiwan

Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:25 pm

Alliances, Building Catering Companies, expanding hotel chains, setting up subsideries to cut costs, buying into other airlines (and be bought by other airlines...), Setting up of Frequent Flyer Programmes, Service standards in detail (eg cost per meal, flight attandant training, aircraft seating comfort, PTVs or not, et etc)

I personally don't think adding labour desputes is a good idea...

These are what I can think of now, I'll post some more when I think of them...

Best Regards and GOOD LUCK!!  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Jimmy

donder10

Sun Apr 22, 2001 5:54 pm

How long will it take you Miller22?Thanks,Alex

Sun Apr 22, 2001 6:20 pm

What about a cargo division???  Smile/happy/getting dizzy Getting orders and contracts from big commpanies, choosing the aircraft that best suites the job (combi, full cargo ect)
eg: "British Airways World Cargo"
regrds
Dan

Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:29 pm

I think so far you've nailed the core components, and I certainly agree that this area has been neglected by the software industry BIG TIME. I've given a lot of thought to this subject, and most of my thoughts you've already listed. But here are a few more things.

Historical Component (e.g. allowing players to start as early as 1955 so the intro of 707, etc. can play a role.)

World Conflicts (e.g. Cold War, Iran-Iraq war, embargos, etc. I think not allowing direct flights between US and Cuba, Libya, Iraq, Iran, etc.. would add an interesting element. It would also be good if it was a random factor like a war between India+Pakistan, etc...)

Commuter Airlines (e.g. starting a subsidiary company like American Eagle or TWE, United Express, etc...)

Terrorism (e.g. terrorist acts affecting load factors etc...)

I think the game Railroad tycoon would be a good example of a well done industry sim (as well as Aerobiz Supersonic.) One of the main things lacking in a lot of sims is the connection factor, this severely inpacting the loads of flights and the overall success of an airline. Best wishes on your endeavor.

yp6370

Sun Apr 22, 2001 7:45 pm

It's a great idea to make a new (better) game! I agree with R.I.P TWA that world coflicts are needed because of more realistic scenarios.
What about creating commercials to promote the routes and the airline? And it would be great to choose the interior (configuration, low cost or first class...).

Best wishes!
YP6370

donder10

Sun Apr 22, 2001 8:34 pm

Airport taxes-like Heathrow being much higer than Luton or Stanstead for an example.
-The more planes you order from one manufacturer, the cheaper each plane is(slightly).

Sun Apr 22, 2001 11:59 pm

Great! Will it be compatible with Win98SE? Can i be your beta tester?

Good luck!
åviatioÑ_lover

donder10

Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:42 am

Yea, put me down for being a beta tester pleaseeee when it comes to that stage.Thanks,Alex

GOT

Mon Apr 23, 2001 1:49 am

Sounds like a great game to me. My tip. When ordering aircrafts, let different seating layouts be able  Smile/happy/getting dizzy.

GOT
Just like birdwatching - without having to be so damned quiet!

RE: Making Of A New Airline Simulation Game--labor

Mon Apr 23, 2001 4:33 am

Air Taiwan said:
>I personally don't think adding labour desputes is a good idea...

I would disagree, particularly if the designer is going for a historical feel to the sim. From the early '80s into the early '90s, labor contracts, negotiations, and strikes were all central to the operation, expansion, and failure of airlines, at least in the US. Labor would be particularly important if the designer sought to include the stock market, buyouts, and bankruptcies (Chaps. 7 & 11).

Heck, the continued threat of strikes this year and the Presidential intervention is, I think, a sign of how important labor issues are to a healthy (or failing) airline and therefore could be a fascinating aspect to simulate.

--Tom Heaney
"Socal Approach" http://www.ags.uci.edu/~tmheaney/SNA/

Mon Apr 23, 2001 7:36 am

As the son of a TWA Flight Attendant I can tell you that the TWA FA strike of 1986 completely destroyed TWA. Simulating this aspect of airline mananagement is essential, seeing as a year long strike can put the company in dire straits for years to come, and in fact may never recover (e.g. Eastern, TWA, etc...). One other thing I might mention as an addition to the game is different Airport sizes. Most sims allow any aircrat to fly into any airport. This however is not the case, due to runway sizes. Making this a factor in the game would also be an interesting element. (Planning route structures, etc...)

miller22
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:07 am

You guys have some great suggestions!

A few things I forgot to mention:

Comfort/Luxury levels - the game equations take luxury levels into account, but its one level for every airplane in the game. I agree that it is a realistic component to an airline, but have to admit that this is being put on the back burner for the time being until we can get a stable environment.

Multiplayer Capable - Right now this game is planned to be ONLY multiplayer capable. AI isn't in the plans yet, but we hope to down the road aways. The game well be able to run entirely solo (with no multiplayer or computer opponents) using the game engine included in the software itself. All multiplayer gaming will be done by the program sending a message to the server to run, along with everybody else's inputs, and an update sent out to each program when they request it.

Labor Disputes - The way we plan on handling labor disputes is strictly with the pilots and compares their wages with other airlines comparable wages. If the pilots wages fall a certain percentage below the average, they will warn of a strike and luxury level will fall due to the poor service. If after a certain time the wages are not brought up to be competitive, the pilots will strike and all airplanes will be grounded.

Cargo - Cargo will be added later, but that requires a completely different engine. Our goal right now is to get a working game in operation and add on from there.

Purchasing aircraft - For every aircraft bought after the first one, there is a 10% reduction in the price. I'm not sure how accurate that is, so some feedback is much appreciated. We also plan on creating an airliner market where you can put old airplanes up for sale, or can buy used airplanes. This will allow startup airlines to have a cheap means for aquiring aircraft. There will also be an aircraft and a certain amount of money given to each airline to start with.

Terminal Fees/Gates - There are a limited number of gates to use at each airport. Dallas Ft. Worth will have plenty, while Washington National will be a battle for each gate. We plan on implementing an auction of some sort for the gates, but haven't started programing that yet. We are also including a way to build your own terminal and rent out extra gates to other airlines. This should add an edge to creating a hub airport.

Feeder services/commuters - The size of an airline's route structure will enhance ticket sales by an undetermined amount. Using this, we can include code-shares where you add both airlines route structure together to create even more revenue. Commuters will emerge during the game as gates at larger cities fill up. This is the flexibility of the game that no other has. You start the game with a different scenario each time, since all of your opponents change. Where one game you might find it profitable to fly 747's from JFK to LHR, the next you may only be able to find gates in Cincinnati and run an RJ empire (be careful of labor disputes though  Wink/being sarcastic)

Starting date/historic events - right now we only have ample information to start the game in 1980 at the earliest. Our priority is to get the game up and running, and then we will research earlier starting years and such. Speaking of which, when the time comes I could really use your help in finding aircraft prices and running costs.

Once again thank you for your suggestions. This game isn't being made to make money, its being made so that we can play it. There is no game like this, and for me to have opponents to play against, I need to make sure you guys will enjoy the game enough to play it. Majority rules, within reason, as to what this game includes.

One more thing...I could use a name for the game. Best I've come up with is "Sky-train"

Court

CXA330-342

Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:29 am

I think you should make it so that players can apply for fifth freedom rights and such, not like Airpro where you can't even fly planes from one eastern city to another if you are in the western USA landfile.

westjet_8

Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:44 am

Also make it so you can have louanges. Make It so you can wach your planes take off and go into deep debt. Make sure there is a free game mode where you can start an airline whereever. Make sure you sell it in Canada. What about Air CEO for a name?
Canadian. RIP 1999

Westjet_737

Mon Apr 23, 2001 9:51 am

Sounds great!!!
Keep up the great work.

Chris Johnson

miller22
Topic Author

Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:05 am

Aircraft range's and city distances are carefully calculated by a complex formula using lat/long coordinates. This gives us an accurate estimate of range, unlike Airpro where you can fly New York to Los Angeles in a Jetstream 31 because it's a commuter flight.

So far, Air CEO is as good a name as we've recieved.

In response to Westjet_8, we will not be selling it in Canada because we won't be selling it anywhere. This is going to be entirely free to the player. Just download, login, and schedule airplanes.

I will post updates as the game progresses.

Court

Mon Apr 23, 2001 6:28 pm

King of the Skies? Sounds kind of lame, but it might not be a bad name.

Mon Apr 23, 2001 10:09 pm

I'll be your beta-tester  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

How about:

Wings Unlimited

GUNDU

westjet_8

Tue Apr 24, 2001 3:34 am

What site is that going to be on? I can't wait. When is it going to be finished? Make sure you can also make it so you can chose paint jobs and names for your game.
Canadian. RIP 1999

Delta717

Tue Apr 24, 2001 4:13 am

I second the option of choosing colorschemes for your planes and to make it a little more realistic, you could make crashes so that you have to get your loadfactor back to a decent rate.

I also second Air CEO or Airline CEO as a name.

Can't wait!
Delta717

AACrew Chief

Tue Apr 24, 2001 6:47 am

Yes count me in...Love to be a beta test for the new game and to me either name suggested sounds great.

MrFord

Tue Apr 24, 2001 1:35 pm

It'll be a very great game ! Can't wait me too  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

I don't really have any idea for the name, but my suggestions are :
- When you buy airplanes, you have the choice of engine, seating arrangement etc... and you can have options on future purchases so you can have a greater rebate
- It can has leasing form manufacturer or others airlines, both with terms (24 months, 3 months)
- The costs and undisponibility related to checks (like for D-Check, the plane can't be on service for 3 months)
- The FAA restrictions (like Stage III or hushkitted plane only at a certain airport)
- Random diversions and/or cancelled flight (weather, mechanic problem etc...)
- Possibility to plan a flight with a stop (like JFK-LAX-HKG)

Hope that my ideas can help !
Regards,
Etienne

P.S. : Miller22, what is your programming environment (Visual C++, VisualBasic... ) ? I'm just curious about that  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
"For radar identification throw your jumpseat rider out the window."

miller22
Topic Author

Wed Apr 25, 2001 1:25 am

The program is being coded in Visual Basic.

We are adding a feature to have a three-legged flight plan, and should have that up and running by the time we are ready for beta-test.

We plan on adding the ability to lease out already owned airplanes by airlines, which will be done on the market perhaps. We haven't worked out the details of it yet.

It looks like it will be another couple of months before Air CEO is ready for beta test.

Delta717

Wed Apr 25, 2001 5:14 am

BTW-Count me in for the Beta Test, when you do come out with it!

Happy Flying
Delta717

MrFord

Wed Apr 25, 2001 5:29 am

Great !

I'd be very proud also to be one of your beta tester !

Good Luck Miller22  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

-BTW, it can be interresting not only to lease from others, but also lease your own aircrafts to others. Just a suggestion  Smile
"For radar identification throw your jumpseat rider out the window."

Wed Apr 25, 2001 3:12 pm

How about a feature where you can hire pilots,admin staff, and others??

And also,duty-free shops in the departure lounge plus a frequent flyer lounge??That would be nice!!

How about a feature that allows you to build cargo complexes,engineering buildings,office buildings and all the stuff??

AND CHEAT CODES TOO!!

GUNDU

Air Taiwan

Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:40 pm

NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER set cheat codes!!!!!! This is no common SimXXX game where you can just type "I am weak" and get loads of money!!

Regards
Jimmy

apuneger

Wed Apr 25, 2001 11:33 pm

Ever thought of including incidents, maybe even crashes?

Also, how about fuel price increases or so?

Just suggesting. I mean, even without those things, it seems that this 'game' is going to be really great and by far more realistic than comparable 'games'.

Keep up the work!

Ivan
Ivan Coninx - Brussels Aviation Photography

Air Taiwan

Question!

Fri Apr 27, 2001 1:17 am

What is the time frame for this game?? Will it be real time like SimCity or will it be like Airpro where you click for a month and set up things and then click for a month...

Thanx
Jimmy

And please make the connections available (ie flight from SYD to BKK can connect to LHR)

portcolumbus

Mon Apr 30, 2001 6:54 am

Count me in as beta tester

flying-b773

Tue May 01, 2001 1:46 am

i think time frame must be realistic. we cant buy a 747 in 1 month...
marketing efforts affect the load factors? promotion ?
hire managers..have own check-in counters at airports?
training centres for stewardess? haha.. etc..the years, can we start from a particular year we like? any year,..

anyway, the points you have are great! I am looking forward to the release of the game.
good luck !

AerLingus

Tue May 01, 2001 12:14 pm

So, it's going to look like AirPro then?
You can't design liveries?
Get your patchouli stink outta my store!

Tue May 01, 2001 7:01 pm

Airline offices.
Flight Operations Offices

GUNDU

heathrow

Wed May 02, 2001 4:25 pm

Miller22, GREAT job! I can't wait for its release!

I was thinking of a name: Airline Manager Pro. It's 'normal' but kinda fits, I think.

Keep up the designing, cos I CANNOT wait!
But I guess I have to

Wed May 02, 2001 5:13 pm

Pilot/Attendant rostering.
Ramp Rats
Maintainance Crews
Customer Service Officers(check-in)
Immigration offices

GUNDU

Delta717

Thu May 03, 2001 4:20 am

Orginally posted by Heathrow:I was thinking of a name: Airline Manager Pro. It's 'normal' but kinda fits, I think.

I think Miller22 is already set on AirCEO. That's a cool name though

miller22
Topic Author

Thu May 03, 2001 4:55 am

Airline Manager Pro sounds decent enough, but its too close to AirPro. AirCEO is the best so far, but that doesn't mean I'm not still open for suggestions!  Smile

donder10

Fri May 04, 2001 11:40 pm

How long will it take you to produce this game?I have no clue about coding games.Thanks,Alex

westjet_8

Sat May 05, 2001 7:48 am

Please make it so you can choose different liveries for each place like brannif or have them all the same. Also please e-mail me and [email protected] Good Luck and make sure you can have an airline in Canada. Keep posting updades and again good luck.

David
Canadian. RIP 1999

Jaspike

Sat May 05, 2001 11:44 pm

Sounds like a brill game! When will we be able to play it, and where will we be able to get it from? Thanks.

Tom

SkyWings

Fri May 18, 2001 5:54 am

Pricing/Revenue Management functions would be cool to have, and this pertains to city demands and economic factors.

My Aerobiz Supersonic is wearing thin..so a new game would be awsome!

ryu2

Fri May 18, 2001 6:07 am

I found a list of previous airline simulation games, all commercial though, at

http://www.ags.uci.edu/~tmheaney/SNA/airsims.htm

You might want to take a look and see what their best ideas are, and adopt them.

jet_guy

Fri May 18, 2001 10:38 am

What a great game!! I remember playing a game like it several years ago with Boats, which i have little interest in and loved it!!!!!
Good luck!!!

Sam (AKL)

EGGD

Sun May 20, 2001 8:53 pm

Sounds a great idea, just one thing though...

Try not to add too many features, sure feel free to make it as realistic as possible but remember if it is too complicated it becomes unplayable. Remember, we don't have as much time as real CEO's!

EGGD

donder10

Mon May 21, 2001 5:44 am

EGGD-do you play championship manager by any chance?

EGGD

Tue May 22, 2001 4:46 am

hahahaha, no but my son does, sometimes i help him out  Smile

EGGD

btw, he has Championship Manager 2 which even i like playing, but Season 00/01 (the new one) i think is much to challenging and scares away younger players.

donder10

Tue May 22, 2001 6:04 am

HAHAHA, Thats the point I was going to make !That is the initial game is too easy(ie cm 97/98).However,do you feel that 00/01 is perhaps TOO realistic?Thanks,Alex