Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Jiggles
Topic Author

Viewing At Fort Lauderdale & Opa-Locka

Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:02 am

Hi folks,

There aren't many relevant websites out there so I reckoned this was my best bet....

Could someone please let me know the latest info regarding spotting / photography at Fort Lauderdale (Internationall & Exec.) & Opa Locka?

I will be there in August and I'm hoping for a few hours at each. What can I expect to see? What are the preferred days? How frequent are the movements?

I would also appreciate directions to the viewing points. I am staying at the Sheraton Yankee Trader on the beach at Fort Lauderdale.

Regards,

Gary
[email protected]
(BFS, NI)

thegreatchecko

RE: Viewing At Fort Lauderdale & Opa-Locka

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:16 am

No plans to go to MIA?  Big grin

There you'd definitely see a bunch of stuff, that airport is extremely busy these days. Lots of AA and a bunch of international ops, especially from Latin America. Opa Locka is big with corporate traffic, though you will see some US Coast Guard operations from there. Fort Lauderdale is a big national destination with some international service, though few heavies make it in there. The Federal Express MD-10's are probably the biggest regular visitors.

Do a search in this and the photography sections and you will find a bunch of information. There's even a website that will give you directions to the best spotting locations at KMIA. I don't remember it, but it will come up in your searches.

Enjoy your vacation!

GreatChecko
"A pilot's plane she is. She will love you if you deserve it, and try to kill you if you don't...She is the Mighty Q400"

miamix707

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:31 am

at opa locka there is no regular traffic but you just drive around the airport and marvel at the old DC3s and whatever else is there

PJS800

Sat Mar 13, 2004 5:51 am

I was in Ft Lauderdale last month and spent part of a day at FLL. Here's a good site to see where to go at FLL and there's also a page for MIA. Click Here If you go to the Viewing Park you will need a ladder to take pictures over the fence. Hope this helps.

PJ Smile

MD80Nut

Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:01 am

I live near Opa Locka and in addition to what the other posters have stated, you may get a chance to see some Russian turboprops, specifically AviaLeasing's AN-26s and AN-12s which are based there! Usually seen in the morning or late afternoon. Quite a sight!

cheers, Ralph
Fly Douglas Jets DC-8 / DC-9 / DC-10 / MD80 / MD11 / MD90 / 717

USAFHummer

Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:11 am

If your there in early August, give me a shout and Id be happy to spot with you at FLL...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

scottysair

Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:02 am

I agree with you, Greg! That mean I am coming to FLL on March 23 through March 27. It will be good to come back to FLL for few days with visit some of those friends. I'd be very happy to see with whole Delta friends at FLL and BCAD, too.  Smile

Jiggles
Topic Author

Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:11 pm

Thanks for the help guys. Any further info would be appreciated.

I'll probably get to MIA too but there's plenty of details out there about facilities.

PJ thanks for the link. I might contact a few of you closer to the time for update.

Gary

dc8jet

Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:39 am

I had heard some time ago that if you go to airport operations at OPF they will
tell where you can go to take photos. They used to be pretty friendly there but I don't know if everything has changed there since 9/11.

Jiggles
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:31 am

Nice tip DC8Jet. Anyone else had any experience of this?

dc8jet

Tue Mar 16, 2004 11:37 am

If you can find one check out issue 70 Of Airliners magazine. It is the July/August 2001 issue. It has articles on the Miami area airports along with some spotting information. This is a bit out of date but it might be of some help. Also it seems to me that the Miami-Dade Aviation Department has a web site and you could check that out as well.When you get back please post how it turned out as I'm going there in September.

HaveBlue

Sat Mar 20, 2004 11:41 am

Jiggles,

I was just at Ft. Lauderdale Executive (FXE) a couple of months ago. On the south west side of the airport there is a place called 'The Lounge'. It's just a small parking lot with a small hill near it. on the hill are a couple of picnic tables and benches to watch the air traffic from. It's above the fence line and there is 2 speakers close by broadcasting the tower comms. It's on the south side of the approach end of runway 8. My buddy flies the huge S-58 Sikorsky chopper at the hangar right near there. On that last trip, within a couple of hours I saw a Beech Starship, Lockheed Jetstar, Falcon 900, and Lear 23 fly among the many more common corporate ships.

I've 'spotted' at many spots at MIA years ago, but I think someone on here posted about holes being put in the fence specifically for spotters on the fence south of 9L and west of 12/30.

Good luck.

HaveBlue

Sun Mar 21, 2004 1:40 am