Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

wimpycol
Topic Author

Spotting In Tunisia?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 4:56 am

Hello
Anyone knows if spotting at airports in Tunisia (especially Monastir - Habib Bourguiba ) is possible and allowed? I was there last year and had been able to take some photos outside the airport but still with some scary moments. Those big walls covers the whole runway and there is no public Airport terrace. Any changes at the airport?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Markus Bauer
View Large View Medium

Photo © Roberto Benetti

View Large View Medium

Photo © John Miller
View Large View Medium

Photo © Roberto Benetti

I will fly next week to Monastir for an 1 week holiday. Anybody in for some spotting??

Thanks for the information.

Regards
Willem Alberto - The Flying Dutchman
The Netherlands

[Edited 2005-03-09 20:59:21]
Colombia... can't wait to be there again!!!!!!!!!!

TS-IOR

RE: Spotting In Tunisia?

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:51 pm

Hy Willem and welcome to Tunisia  Wink

When you are a tourist you can manage to spot without significant problems.
It will depend on the hotel in which you will stay. Just after the train station and on your way to the city of Monastir, by EADS facilities, you can spot planes landing at Rwy25 and back on your way to Sousse and Sahline you can spot planes landing on the mostly used Rwy07. You have to start spotting from the plane, when arriving and disembarking, and before embarking on the plane when departing to Europe, just to take profit from every opportunity !!!

Please ask for other info !!!

AIR MALTA

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:12 pm

Well spotting in Tunisia is NOT allowed. But as everyone knows, tourists can do whatever they want. I was spotting a Tunis Airport one time. At the departure level you can go out, turn to the right and go to see aircraft movement on the car bridge. I was spotting an Air Malta B737-300 when a car suddenly stopped and a policemen came to me and asked me to give my camera to him in order to destroy the film. He was really unfriendly and agressive. After some tough negociations he discovered we were from the same region of Tunisia. He told me I could walk away with my camera and advised me not to take pictures anymore from the airport as "it could land in ennemies hands".

Anyway, it was the scare of my life. But if you are airside, and you don't look like an Arab (sad but true), you could manage to take pictures from the Apron or from inside the terminal in peace...

That was may be 5 years ago and I doubt the situation has changed since.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Tolosy

Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:37 pm

Hi,

Good topic.

I am going to Tunisia on the 23rd for a week to visit my parents who live in Carthage.

Where is the best place to spot in Tunis... So far, the best one I have seen is from the french cemetary in Gamarth with binoculars.. not the best but a relly good view.

I was also thinking, what is the runway most often used at TUN. Last time I landed on one which is just after the beach (approach is vertical to the Tunis Goulette Marsa, train line).

Wympicol, enjoy your stay in tunisia!

If this runway is used then the best place to spot is the beach!!

TS-IOR

Thu Mar 10, 2005 10:59 pm

Tolosy,

The Rwy in question should be 01. When you are on the Lac area, where you can find many cafés, bowlings and new start-ups...you can spot traffics landing 01, and going eastward you can spot Rwy29 landings. When you are in Gammarth or Raoued beach you can easily spot Rwy19 landings.

AIR MALTA,

What you have experienced is absolutely nothing comparing to what happened to me  Wink

AIR MALTA

Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:35 pm

Ts-ior,

nice to see you again... hmmm, so what happened to you??? I am very curious now...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Tolosy

Fri Mar 11, 2005 1:30 am

In between La Goulette and and Carthage, there is a shopping mall called "Lake something??"

On the top there's a cafe, is it possible to spot from there???

Next time, I might give it a try!

WF2BNN

Fri Mar 11, 2005 2:03 am

MIR is great for spotting, when I worked as a tourist rep in MIR last year for 5 months I saw a lot great planes. The favorite is the Il-96 from Moscow!

The best is when they land on Rwy07, you can get really close to the end of the Rwy!

Have fun in MIR, but if you are planning to go out - go into Sousse and Port El Kantaoui

Best regards,

Mats
TRD
What goes up, must come down.

wimpycol
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 4:58 am

Quoting Ts-ior (Reply 1):
Hy Willem and welcome to Tunisia

When you are a tourist you can manage to spot without significant problems.
It will depend on the hotel in which you will stay. Just after the train station and on your way to the city of Monastir, by EADS facilities, you can spot planes landing at Rwy25 and back on your way to Sousse and Sahline you can spot planes landing on the mostly used Rwy07. You have to start spotting from the plane, when arriving and disembarking, and before embarking on the plane when departing to Europe, just to take profit from every opportunity !!!
Please ask for other info !!!

Hello Ts-ior
Thanks for the nice info.
Well I would have booked Hotel Grand Occidental Monastir (old Festival Hotel and in front off the Airport) but sadly they are closed until the end of this month. Now I'm in Calimera Chiraz just like last year.

Hmm EADS facility is this the big hangar of Nouvelair nearby Rwy25?? as shown on the next photo. I was thinking to walk nearby this wall and come close to Rwy25... but i guess its better for me to back off from that place hahaha
View Large View Medium

Photo © Markus Bauer

I was shooting some nice photos last year nearby Rwy07. nearby Sahline
It was so hot and it was so difficult but I could take my best shots about there. But they were patrolling all the time. I guess you saw me last year over there hahahaha  wave 

If I'm standing in front of the terminal (and want to get into the building) where is north/south east west???
Rwy25 is south and Rwy07 is this North??

Is this a good aviation website from Tunisia? http://www.oaca.nat.tn/
And what about their info on departure departure and arrival of planes.. Is this correct.

Yes I want to take pictures during landing and takeoff of my flight but I will arrive from AMS around 19:05.... is it to dark at this moment to take pictures? ON the way back to home I will leave about 19.50.

Do you life in Monastir or Sousse? Maybe we can meet one day at the airport? If you like. PLease mail me on [email protected]
Maybe we can arrange something if you have some free time?

Looking forward to it!
Regards
Willem Alberto

[Edited 2005-03-10 20:58:48]

wimpycol
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:18 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 2):

Anyway, it was the scare of my life. But if you are airside, and you don't look like an Arab (sad but true), you could manage to take pictures from the Apron or from inside the terminal in peace...

That was may be 5 years ago and I doubt the situation has changed since.

Wow AIR MALTA
What an story.... Well I´m living in the Netherlands but I was born in Colombia.. and because of that I´m looking a bit like an Arab... During my last visit to Tunisia almost everybody talked to me in Arab thinking that I was from Arab country hahaha. But Yes I makes some shots at the airport and at the apron.. but was very unlucky!!! Both flights where on Transavia and during night. I did managed to get nearby Rwy07 but I had to be very very careful all the time!!!. Also asked it at the terminal and an entrance nearby the cargo apron where the planes get very closely if they departure from Rwy07) to take photos but they didn't allowed me to do it! Very sad

Regards
Willem Alberto

Quoting Tolosy (Reply 3):
Wympicol, enjoy your stay in tunisia!
If this runway is used then the best place to spot is the beach!!

Thank you!!!
I will leave for the Netherlands on the 23 of march!!
The day that you will arrive! I hope you will also have a great time in this nice country!

Regards
Willem Alberto

Quoting WF2BNN (Reply 7):
MIR is great for spotting, when I worked as a tourist rep in MIR last year for 5 months I saw a lot great planes. The favorite is the Il-96 from Moscow!

The best is when they land on Rwy07, you can get really close to the end of the Rwy!
Have fun in MIR, but if you are planning to go out - go into Sousse and Port El Kantaoui
Best regards,

Mats
TRD

WF2BNN thanks yes I will try to get close to Rwy07
There is a little fence but behind is an road to the airport and the train road...alsways Difficult with many airport employees and the patrolling guys from the airport.
Yes I will visit Sousse and maybe Tunis one day.. I've never been there must be a great city!!

Regards
Willem Alberto

wimpycol
Topic Author

Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:46 am

Sorry another question for your guys.
Looking to the next photo
View Large View Medium

Photo © Roberto Benetti

I remember when I was in Monastir in the middle of the Medina and planes where passing by..... right above my head... wow wow wow
Is there and possibility to get on one of the tops of those buildings? And also nearby the Cap Marina.. they where approaching low very low!!

Regards
Willem Alberto

TS-IOR

Fri Mar 11, 2005 11:02 pm

Rwy25 landings overfly the city of Monastir and there is a kind of Castle, facing to the beach, near the cemetry and you can get into it and climb the tower. The entry fee is 2 Dinars i think, but Rwy25 is not reliable !!!

TS-IOR

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:06 am

Rwy07 arrivals overfly Sahline heading east and Rwy25 arrivals overfly Monastir heading west. There is no north/south runway at MIR.

The info on http://www.oaca.nat.tn are reliable and are regularly up-dated.

I remember having personally modified the comment on your pic 197247 at PlanePictures because you originally said that you are overflying Monastir. If you can go near the water seen in the photo, you can take great pics.

wimpycol
Topic Author

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:50 am

Quoting Ts-ior (Reply 12):
Rwy07 arrivals overfly Sahline heading east and Rwy25 arrivals overfly Monastir heading west. There is no north/south runway at MIR.

The info on http://www.oaca.nat.tn are reliable and are regularly up-dated.

I remember having personally modified the comment on your pic 197247 at PlanePictures because you originally said that you are overflying Monastir. If you can go near the water seen in the photo, you can take great pics

Hello TS-IOR,

Thanks for the info
I will see what I can do next week
Yes I was there..Nearby the water and a short fence last year. If you are interested in those photo's I can send them to you.

Willem Alberto

TS-IOR

Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:10 pm

Wimpycol,

I'm more interested in seeing more pics from Tunisian airports on A.Net  Wink

Don't miss spotting on Tu, We, Fr and Su  Wink

wimpycol
Topic Author

Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:25 am

Quoting Ts-ior (Reply 14):
Wimpycol,

I'm more interested in seeing more pics from Tunisian airports on A.Net

Don't miss spotting on Tu, We, Fr and Su

OK thanks Ts-ior
I will try to do my best. But I still have only 4 pics on A.netThe Flying Dutchman

On those days I can aspect any charters from Russia to Tunisia???
http://www.oaca.nat.tn is not showing any info on these charters.

Kind regards
Willem Alberto - The Flying Dutchman

levent

Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:39 pm

I was in Monastir in September 2003 and after cheking in for the flight back to VLC and going through customs I asked the security officer if I could take pictures, he smiled and said "sure, no problem!"
I shot a film full with Tunisair, Nouvelair, Tuninter and Air One aircraft.