Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airplaneboy
Topic Author

Airline 6.1 Strategy Question

Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:14 am

Greetings fellow Airline Sim. players!

I have a question regarding the strategy of Airline 6.1. I'm currently playing on the "hard" level and am in my third year of operations. I have hubs at LAX and HNL and predominantly fly long haul routes (4 hours plus) transporting PAX and cargo. My airline (jetAmerica) is presently earning nearly $2 billion per quarter and we're operating a new fleet of widebody Boeing aircraft. Now that I have most long haul points covered from our LAX hub, I'd like to initiate some short haul service (i.e. LAX-LAS, LAX-DEN, etc.), but can't seem to do so at a profit. I've tried using narrowbody Boeing aircraft, as well as regional aircraft (everything from the CRJ-200/700 to the ATR) and I have tried tweaking the passenger charge per km- and still, no profit on the short hauls. I'm currently in year 2005 and am wondering how to make it work. I've also tried adjusting the capacity and layout of my short haul aircraft (i.e. more business class seats/less business class seats) as I still have two more years to follow my start-up business plan (2 class layout for domestic).

Have any of you been able to profitably operate short haul routes in the U.S.? Any insight or suggestions on what I could do to make it work?

Thanks in advance!  Smile

frugalqxnwa

RE: Airline 6.1 Strategy Question

Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:48 pm

I have no problem making a profit on short haul domestic. The one thing to remember is that CASM goes up on the shorter routes, so where you may be able to charge 3 or 4 cents per km for Y class on long haul you may need to charge 7-8 cents. Also, more Y and less business helps, and go for more frequencies than aircraft size. Keeping the aircraft small also helps you be able to purchase the leased aircraft when their leases are up and keep quarterly costs down. Lastly, keep your aircraft moving. If you have an aircraft flying to a smaller destination (such as Fresno or Palm Springs), you will want to schedule the aircraft on multiple legs (i.e. Palm Springs-LAX-Fresno or LAX-Fresno-SFO).

CanadianNorth

Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:13 am

I've found the best trick to short haul flying is just make sure each short haul plane is flying as many hours as possible. In other words, keep the turnarounds 30 minutes or less and have them fly several legs per day (start early like 6am or something and have them give er till late, 10 or 11pm type thing). It also helps if you try to evenly spread out longer and short flts among the fleet, for example instead of having one plane do 20 minute hops all day and another doing hour long flts all day, have both planes do a couple of each.

But with regionals, it's all about getting those planes flying as many hours as you can fit in a day.

CanadianNorth
HS-748, like a 747 but better!

airplaneboy
Topic Author

Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:19 pm

Thank you both for the suggestions. I will definitely try that and see what happens.  Smile

Cheers!